Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Maverick 88 came with a Modified choke installed.
Fired a few rounds, both 00 Buckshot 9 pellet and Target load 1-1/8 oz 7-1/2 shot.
10 and 15 yards.
Not liking the patterns.
Should I get a different choke, and what choke for a tighter pattern?
00 Buck. 15 yards.
SN852858.JPG
I'll have to do another 10 yard shot.

Target load. 10 and 15 yards.
SN852856.JPG
SN852857.JPG

·
Registered
29,757 Posts
You could go with Improved Modified or Full.

I'm not an avid shotgunner by any means, but I do get tighter groups with modified at 15 yards than it looks like you had.

My SxS 12 ga is set up (currently) with IC and M and it works well for skeet at normal skeet ranges.

Here is a link about chokes, hopefully it can answer some questions: Shotgun Life - Shotgun Chokes

Edit: you might also want to play around with different loads.

Reactions: ncfarmer

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
TA is on the right track! Too tight and you will start to get negative results depending on the load you are shooting.

Here's a good Box O Truth article: The Box O' Truth #44 - Shotgun Chokes and Buckshot The Box O' Truth
Like with other guns the round and the individual gun will show you the final best result.

I've put together a couple of affordable choke sets over time - snatching many of them off eBay.

You our looking to shoot any slugs!?

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was going to ask about shooting slugs.
From what I have read that what is shot at a turkey shoot.
I think it is 20 to 30 yards and the closest shot to the center is the winner.
Also you have to buy the ammo from the range or sponsor of the turkey shoot, can't bring your own.
So, yeah, I need to know what choke for slugs.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
Lets not forget, the pattern will change with the length of your barrel, i.e. short barrel = wide pattern; long barrel = tighter pattern. All with the same choke! Full choke = tighter pattern. Have fun!

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
Also you have to buy the ammo from the range or sponsor of the turkey shoot, can't bring your own.
If you are using a standard smooth bore shotgun, you want to use a improved cylinder or modified choke. Or, go out and buy a slug barrel for the shotgun.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
If you are using a standard smooth bore shotgun, you want to use a improved cylinder or modified choke. Or, go out and buy a slug barrel for the shotgun.
Yep - what Dave said! Still best = best round to gun setup.
Some will tell you Cyl. - that is too wide - shots get sloppy.
The Turkey Shoot levels the playing field by supplying the ammo. I'm going to show up with my gun & am proud totally sorted out!!

Slug and buck poi will usually vary. I aim my slug shots with a small set of Williams Fire Sights - rail mounted. For moving shots I treat the front light pipe as the bead and ignore the rear.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
28" smooth bore.
I took the choke out, it is marked MOD.
It was actually loose, I unscrewed it with my thumb.
I misplaced the choke wrench, I know it is around here somewhere.
I took it out of the plastic shrink wrap and wiped off the oil, then set it down somewhere.
Darned if I can find it again!
Barrels aren't cheap, neither are chokes. Guess I'll make do with the one it came with for now.

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
Carlsons® makes choke tubes for Mossberg®s and sells them at Cabelas® for $19.99+tax. I have, SKT, IC, MOD, IMOD, FULL, XFULL, & TURKEY chokes. I get excellent performance in both of my Mossberg® Mdl 500's (12ga & 20ga) with Buckshot using my IMP CYL tube. I use the same choke when shooting Foster Slugs also.

Reactions: SixFalls and mingaa

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
If your goal is tighter patterns with 00 Buck, try different loads and test. They are not all create equal. The Federal Reduced recoil tactical loads were the best performing of 7 different brands I tested in 5 different "social" shotguns.

Reactions: treg

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
NC Prison Systems did a study on shotguns and buckshot used within the system. They found that 00, 000 and #4 Buck usually works well with Cylinder or Imp Cylinder in either a 28 inch or a shorter 18 inch cylinder choke. Barrel length has little to do with pattern when choked the same. Longer barrels do help with swing and follow thru but I've killed doves and quail with a 20 inch barrel at the same distances as when I used a 30 inch tube.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The 00 isn't really that bad, even at 15 yards.
The target loads suck.
Not that I plan to shoot skeet or clays or whatever, that spread with the target load is really bad.
I watch videos of shooters doing skeet in slo-mo and the group is only a couple inches when it hits the clay.
It looks like a little clump of pellets.
I got a 30" spread at 15 yards.
Target load NFG?
Something else I should use?
Is there a load just for skeet?

·
Registered
34,137 Posts
Here's some things you should know about shotguns and chokes. As a competitive trap shooter I get a lot of experience with both.

All chokes are not equal, in fact most are not equal at all. You can take three chokes of the same brand with the same restriction and each will very likely pattern differently on the same gun.

Barrel length, barrel bore, barrel porting, and forcing cone length all affect shot performance through a given choke.

Shotshell loads also affect choke performance. The main factors being shot size, shot load, wad cup type, powder burn rates, muzzle velocity, and chamber/barrel pressure.

A choke is designed to squeeze or constrict the shot column there by elongating it as it leaves the barrel. The tighter the constriction the longer the shot string and thus the denser the pattern, in theory. This gets offset by barrel and chamber modifications designed to reduce felt recoil.

So, when a choke manufacturer makes and labels a choke that label is really only a reference to the other chokes in the same line. As you go from Open, to Cylinder, to Improved Cylinder, to Modified, to Improved Modified, to Full, to Extra Full, what you are really seeing is a graduated increase in the restriction of the choke for that manufacturer. Some of the custom choke manufacturers simply label their chokes by either bore size or the size of the bore reduction from an open barrel.

Large shot like buck, double buck, etc. generally shoots worse through a choke than through an unrestricted barrel. The pellets are too large and too few in number to see much of a positive effect from a choke.

For shot loads 2 - 9 in size you really need to take a full set of chokes along with the shells you plan on shooting and visit the pattern board. For 1 oz, and 1 11/8 oz loads, you ideally want a dense pattern from 20" to 24" in diameter at 35/40 yards. For heavier loads that pattern diameter may increase a bit. By experimenting with various chokes in your gun you will find the choke that best fits your needs and provides the pattern size you want at the distance you expect your target to be.

For self defense loads, that is those shot at a target at 7 yards or less, chokes aren't really a big concern. Your pattern is going to be somewhere in size between 1" and 6". It will have a devastating effect on the bad guy. For bird, squirrel, rabbits or other small game a modified choke or one between Cylinder and modified is more than likely best. A full choke or extra full will work for Turkeys. Slugs should not be shot through choked barrels, at least not on a regular basis. If your shotgun has a fixed choke and you want to shoot slugs, shoot sabboted slugs. They are generally more accurate and easier on the choke.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Here's some things you should know about shotguns and chokes. As a competitive trap shooter I get a lot of experience with both.

All chokes are not equal, in fact most are not equal at all. You can take three chokes of the same brand with the same restriction and each will very likely pattern differently on the same gun.

Barrel length, barrel bore, barrel porting, and forcing cone length all affect shot performance through a given choke.

Shotshell loads also affect choke performance. The main factors being shot size, shot load, wad cup type, powder burn rates, muzzle velocity, and chamber/barrel pressure.

A choke is designed to squeeze or constrict the shot column there by elongating it as it leaves the barrel. The tighter the constriction the longer the shot string and thus the denser the pattern, in theory. This gets offset by barrel and chamber modifications designed to reduce felt recoil.

So, when a choke manufacturer makes and labels a choke that label is really only a reference to the other chokes in the same line. As you go from Open, to Cylinder, to Improved Cylinder, to Modified, to Improved Modified, to Full, to Extra Full, what you are really seeing is a graduated increase in the restriction of the choke for that manufacturer. Some of the custom choke manufacturers simply label their chokes by either bore size or the size of the bore reduction from an open barrel.

Large shot like buck, double buck, etc. generally shoots worse through a choke than through an unrestricted barrel. The pellets are too large and too few in number to see much of a positive effect from a choke.

For shot loads 2 - 9 in size you really need to take a full set of chokes along with the shells you plan on shooting and visit the pattern board. For 1 oz, and 1 11/8 oz loads, you ideally want a dense pattern from 20" to 24" in diameter at 35/40 yards. For heavier loads that pattern diameter may increase a bit. By experimenting with various chokes in your gun you will find the choke that best fits your needs and provides the pattern size you want at the distance you expect your target to be.

For self defense loads, that is those shot at a target at 7 yards or less, chokes aren't really a big concern. Your pattern is going to be somewhere in size between 1" and 6". It will have a devastating effect on the bad guy. For bird, squirrel, rabbits or other small game a modified choke or one between Cylinder and modified is more than likely best. A full choke or extra full will work for Turkeys. Slugs should not be shot through choked barrels, at least not on a regular basis. If your shotgun has a fixed choke and you want to shoot slugs, shoot sabboted slugs. They are generally more accurate and easier on the choke.
THAT would make a mighty good 'sticky' in The Firing Line section of the forum!

Reactions: TexasAviator

·
Registered
31,767 Posts
If you were shooting skeet, a Cylinder bore, if you don't have a skeet choke works fine. Also ideal on quail or dove flying in towards you.

If you are shooting mostly migratory birds or trap, you would use mostly a modified choke.

If you were goose, crane, coyote, turkey hunting, you would favor a full choke or even tighter turkey choke. I always wondered what one of those would do on a coyote at 60 yards with #4 Buck or BBB Shot. I'm thinking it has to be awesome. I think you can get the BBB in lead shot, where as I have never seen any T-Shot made in anything other than steel other than the Dead Coyote loads one of those heavy alloy companies produce.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Very informed posted by BigSkiff!

I will add that when buckshot is squeezed through a choke it can be deformed enough to severely affect the pattern. Hardness of shot and shot cup design can help but generally a less severe choke is "best" for buckshot patterns.

Haven't looked into their variety of offerings lately, but Federals Flight Control wads were showing great promise a while ago.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm going to Bass Pro this morning and look at chokes.
This brand supposedly will fit Mossberg.
RedHead® Choke Tubes | Bass Pro Shops
Scroll down to 12 gauge.
I think I will get the X-Full Turkey or Full.
The choke I have is a Modified and the I.D. is .715 by actual measurement.
I'm taking it with me to compare with theirs.
I want the Target Load ammo to have a tighter grouping.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Now I have ony been to one Turkey Shoot which was part of a fund raiser at my local range, but they only used shot and not slugs. They also restricted what kind of chokes you could use for the shoot to factory setup.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
good luck at bass pro. Sadly there is no magical solution to the choke pattern that you want. What it takes is deciding the choke you want then go through a bunch of different loads to find out what give you the pattern that you want.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts