Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering what you feel about carrying with a round in the chamber. I realize that Taurus recommends against this but when carrying for self defence this would seem to be a bit like carrying a brick in your pocket. I'm thinking that there is a good chance that in a emergency you might not have the time to rack the slide. Actually with the size of this pistol i takes me longer to rack the slide then it does with my M&P 9.

All thoughts apreciated.

· Registered
281 Posts
Mine is in wallet. One in pipe all the time.

· Registered
1,290 Posts
I keep my TCP in a pocket holster with one in the pipe if I ever have to use it, that little bit of time may be just enough to save my kids, a innocent person or my own life. Drawing and wracking then fireing in a high stress situation. less you have to do I think the better off you will be but just make sure you practice unloaded drawing the weapon how you carry then it will be secound nature. Please practice practice practice I no its hard with this ammo shortage but do it when you can. And I hope all you have to do is carry and never have to shoot anyone but with practice you will be prepared.

· Super Moderator
40,796 Posts
Pocket holster 6+1 and never a problem. Been that way for around 18 months now.

· Registered
6 Posts
I'm nervous about it, but only because I'm new to carrying. So here's what I'm doing. I'm carrying with a snap cap in the pipe and 6 real rounds in the magazine. Basically, I'm practicing. I still have access to 6 shots if I need it to defend myself, just like people who don't carry with one chambered. But I also have the added benefit of not carrying a round in the chamber that could injury anyone else or myself. If at the end of the month (give or take a few days) the gun still hasn't fired, I know I'm good to go and will start carrying a real round in the pipe.

· Registered
6,531 Posts
One in the chamber is the way to go, if you are comfortable doing that. That is totally up to the carrier of said gun. That is best situation for 'ready to fire', but not the safest on the TCP as it doesn't have a manual safety.

· Registered
12,762 Posts
The wife and I both have one in the chamber 24-7. As pocket-guns, we figure the more rounds, the faster, the better.

· Super Moderator
40,796 Posts
Do what you are comfortable with. As your comfort levels change, change how you carry.

Try this:

Holster the gun with a snap cap in the magazine. Time your draw, rack the slide, and fire your first shot. Now load the snap cap in the chamber and time your first shot from the draw. What is the difference? How far can you travel in that time? How many follow up shots could you get off in that time?

· Registered
38,457 Posts
I'm nervous about it, but only because I'm new to carrying. So here's what I'm doing. I'm carrying with a snap cap in the pipe and 6 real rounds in the magazine. Basically, I'm practicing. I still have access to 6 shots if I need it to defend myself, just like people who don't carry with one chambered. But I also have the added benefit of not carrying a round in the chamber that could injury anyone else or myself. If at the end of the month (give or take a few days) the gun still hasn't fired, I know I'm good to go and will start carrying a real round in the pipe.
Well everyone makes that decision, ultimately you or your loved ones are the result of such decision one way or the other.
Personally , noticed I said personally (Me) If i was not going to carry the chamber loaded (which i do) then i certainly would not carry a dud (snap cap) in the chamber.
reason?
well its just one more thing to go wrong if you need to use the gun.
basically these small semi autoes are notorious for not ejecting a spent case or complete bullet when hand operating them.
if the snap cap hangs up ejecting my friend you have a very, very lightweight rock in your hand to protect yourself with.

· Registered
38,457 Posts
Wondering what you feel about carrying with a round in the chamber. I realize that Taurus recommends against this but when carrying for self defence this would seem to be a bit like carrying a brick in your pocket. I'm thinking that there is a good chance that in a emergency you might not have the time to rack the slide. Actually with the size of this pistol i takes me longer to rack the slide then it does with my M&P 9.
All thoughts apreciated.
Pretty much the same as you do!
to me carrying an empty chamber is much like having a knife in one pocket and the blade in the other, if you need to cut something then you got to take the parts out , assemble them and then cut something!
Its understandable to a certain degree that a newbie carrier has some thoughts on the gun going off and blowing your knee cap off, or killing a loved one as you sit eating dinner, i mean how many times do we hear on the news about one of these killer guns simply going off and shooting someone all by themselves.
In the real world of today if you don't pull the trigger then its not going to fire!
the old days of dropping a gun and it going off are long gone.
I know of no profesisonal trianer in the art of shooting/self protecion that recommends carrying a gun not chambered, could be out there I just haven't ran across them.
but at the end of the day you must make that decision as to how to carry.
I mean I carry a single action cocked and loaded 380 pocket pistol around so you likely know my feelings on the subject.

Reactions: Zylo_X

· Registered
582 Posts
Just some food for thought. If you're nervous carrying your pistol, imagine how nervous you'll be in a crisis situation. Almost everyone's fine motor skills are adversely affected under high stress and the more steps they add to reacting, the more likely it is they will react incorrectly. Every moment is precious and even a tiny lapse could cost dearly. Even highly trained individuals use repetition as one of the ways to reduce the effect of their motor skill loss by building muscle memory. For the rest of us - keeping it simple is important.

· Registered
12,877 Posts
I guess I missed the part in my manual where Taurus recommends not carrying with a round in the pipe. And quite frankly I do not understand why they would make that recommendation when their trigger is not only one of the best micro pistol DAO triggers on there, but one of the safest.

The DAO trigger on the TCP series holds the hammer at the half cock position when the slide is in battery and the trigger has not been pulled. Much like the half cock on single action revolvers and 1911's, this prevents the hammer from going forward and striking the firing pin as in the case of a drop. If by some unforeseen circumstance the hammer is released, it does not have enough energy going forward to fire the bullet. The trigger picks up the hammer as you pull through and carries the hammer back to full cock where it is released. What this designs does is make for a very safe pistol that will not go off if it is dropped, bumped or otherwise compromised, yet provides a very smooth and relatively easy pull and let off providing excellent accuracy and reliability. JMHO

Reactions: olfarhors

· Registered
74 Posts
I would advise against the snap cap option for 2 reasons. 1) Every second counts and that motion of racking the real round in is time consuming (even if you are fast), & 2)the clearance of ejecting a full length round out of the TCP is a 50/50 proposition. I mean try and rack a round out of the pistol and you will find that half the time in a nice controlled environment, it will jam the mechanism. This will leave you with a small sized rock to defend yourself with (as olfarhors stated)

To my knowledge, and I'm sure some on this site will help correct if I am wrong, there is a firing pin block that only releases when the trigger is pulled. If you find a carry method that has solid protection preventing the trigger from accidentally pulling, then there is nothing to worry about. Like a revolver.

I carry mine or another pistol everyday with one in the chamber and just chose the best carry method. I was also hesitant about carrying like this in the beginning, but with enough research I was convinced to carry +1. Hope this helps.

EDIT: I should have read the post before mine. What GreenWolf70 says about the half-cock light strike is true. The trigger actually does cock the hammer. Sorry, my bad.

· Registered
193 Posts
...in your pocket. ...
Hi Everyone. I'll be purchasing a TCP as soon as I get hold of a stainless one (my preference.) I currently own 3 other Taurus handguns.

I'm a new member, but here is my 2 cents:
If you carry in your pocket, make sure the pistol is in a pocket holster. Also, practice drawing the pistol with it unloaded and make sure your trigger finger is along the frame and pointed in the direction of the barrel (not touching the trigger.)

I prefer to carry pistols chambered. Speed has already been mentioned. You may need to draw and shoot quickly. Another reason is sound. If a bad guy isn't focused on you, but someone near you, what might the bad guy's reaction be to hearing you chamber a round...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.