Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would an EMP render a submersible well pump useless, or could it be switched to another power source?

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
If it runs purely on electricity, yes it would be dead. If it didn't get fried through the power lines, it's not getting power any time soon from the grid. Now if it runs off another source such as gasoline or diesel, you have a good chance of it still working once you get it started.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it runs purely on electricity, yes it would be dead. If it didn't get fried through the power lines, it's not getting power any time soon from the grid. Now if it runs off another source such as gasoline or diesel, you have a good chance of it still working once you get it started.
Thanks Montkun

I was trying to find out if the pulse would run through the electrical system and fry any motor attached, and if it being underground offered it any protection.

And am I correct in assuming that breakers offer no protection against a pulse?

My thought was that if the motor survived, it could be wired to a generator.

·
Registered
29,765 Posts
If it wasn't running, not connected to the grid and it was mostly mechanical and depending on depth under ground. Maybe. What really is at risk from something like that, man made or natural, are things with circuit boards. And just about everything today has them!

·
10,379 Posts
All the "chips" are fried? No problem, whip out the "chip replicator"! Sorry, had a Terra Nova flashback. Also, thanks for not saying "EMP Pulse".

Yes, I work for the Dept. of Redundancy Dept.

(Is it time to go home yet?)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts