Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am no longer can use my right hand for shooting, I can shoot left handed, but how do you use the safety on a right hand gun, (FS 24/7), really can't afford to buy another gun with safety on both sides, but will if need be.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
To help I need more info on your limitations can you use your right at all. I am left handed and have the ambi safety and when my right was broken i worked every thing left only.

jhp

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To help I need more info on your limitations can you use your right at all. I am left handed and have the ambi safety and when my right was broken i worked every thing left only.

jhp
I can use the right for support, will not hold gun

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
I would call taurus customer service let them know you love your24/7 and due to health related issues you can no longer hold your gun with your right hand and could they help you out.Tell them what you said about cant afford another pistol but is there a way to put an ambi saftey on yours and that you are open for sugesstions.

as far as shooting left handed my 809 c i could flip off with my left thumb and slide worked pushing nose of slide on my boot heel If this is more perment then I would consider going to a revolver.

jhp[

·
Registered
298 Posts
It's been a long time since I shot something that did not have a ambi safty, so I grabbed my PT 145. I work the safty with my left thumb by bringing it around the back. Also I operate the slide release with my trigger finger. Of coarse its not ideal or fast, but it does work. I hope that helps.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
It's been a long time since I shot something that did not have a ambi safty, so I grabbed my PT 145. I work the safty with my left thumb by bringing it around the back. Also I operate the slide release with my trigger finger. Of coarse its not ideal or fast, but it does work. I hope that helps.
When I shoot a gun without ambi, I do the same thing. Being a lefty you get use to making adjustments to things designed for North paws.

·
Registered
68 Posts
When I shoot a gun without ambi, I do the same thing. Being a lefty you get use to making adjustments to things designed for North paws.
Agreed. We lefties have gone through life sitting in right handed desks etc. learning to live in a right handed world is second nature. I do second your thoughts that taurus should make moe ambi guns as that is a decision for purchasing.

·
Registered
14,821 Posts
I flip the safety off with my left thumb by bringing it around. It is actually easier than it sounds or looks from the outside.

If I have the luxury of using my right hand to assist with the draw, I swipe the safety off with my right hand as I pull my shirt back and draw with the left.

I practice both ways as I may not have the luxury of using both hands.

I used to carry IWB at 10 am with the Safety off but heard that the PT145 may fire with a good jarring.

I figured if I fell down, I wouldn't want to shoot my, uh, you know what off.

Reactions: chicharrones

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
This is an issue for us lefties, the good kind- not the evil.

The PT140 is the first pistol I've bought with a safety and I won't use it as a daily carry because of this reason. Not just that it is a right handed gun, but because of the safety. But as far as slide & magazine releases they both get used by my trigger finger.

·
Registered
27,617 Posts
I am not a leftie, but a few years ago I injured my right wrist and faced the same problem you are having.
I tried different techniques... on some guns I was able to use my index finger to sweep the safety.
I tried carrying a Glock
But I realized that all of the pistols shared one flaw: if there was a jam, I could not solve it one handed. Not easily. Racking the slide is very difficult.
So until my wrist healed I switched to a revolver. It's not a perfect solution, but it was the best one I could find.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
If you are down to one hand the revolver with a new york reload would probably be best.

·
Banned
5,818 Posts

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll try your suggestions with an empty gun and see how it works. If I need to go with a ambi I'm looking at a 24/7 fs or compact 2nd gen. I expect more recoil with the compact. Thanks for your input

·
Registered
7,735 Posts
Yep, this. Our sinister selves are more advanced and adaptable than those dexter freaks. :p We manage just fine in a wrong-handed world, whereas they would be reduced to whimpering in a fetal position under a chair if circumstances were reversed. Which they will be. Soon. Soon.

I think the recommendations for a revolver are sound too, except you've already said your budget won't allow it. But I really like JHPrice's suggestion to contact Taurus.

·
Registered
14,821 Posts
Speaking of revolvers, Charter Arms makes lefty models for those that want them.

Charter Southpaw #93820

Charter Pink Southpaw #93830
I am so used to holding a revolver in my right hand and swinging the cylinder out, dumping the spent cartridges, and reloading by speedloader or one by one that I would have to totally retrain to shoot one of those.

We lefties learn how to adapt to a right handed world and as such, tend to get along quite well. I am so used to using scissors with my right hand that I cannot use them left handed at all.

I would like to see Taurus put more ambidextrous safeties on their firearms though.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I tried your suggestions and don't have a problem with it, of course it would feel better with the safety on the right side so I may try to get the ambi sometime in the future, thanks for your input again and I may call Taurus to hear what they say.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also use my left thumb to move the safety, as for the mag release if you look closely many of the Taurus models can be changed to left-handed fairly simply. In my opinion the slide would be your biggest issue in this situation. I met a guy once who had damaged his left hand in an accident and he had a gunsmith mount a small plate to the side of his colt and he would operate the slide against his boot or against his belt, not sure about safety but he made it work.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts