Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a lefty but I really like the PT145, although it was not made with the lefty in mind. My question is do you have a tough time getting use to the mag release location? And the safety release, how hard is it to unholster and release the safety? I own a Ruger P95 and the mag release and safety are on both sides of the gun, but this one is totally different. I'm really torn, I just dont think this will be the gun for me now. Just so hard to beat that price.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm with you on this one. As a lefty, I don't care for the safety. Plus, since the gun is a smaller size frame & grip, there's less to hang on to while maneuvering the pistol in the hand. I'm afraid if I try to do it one-handed, I'll drop it. And two-handed is just plain awkward. I'm still considering it, but I think that it's moving down on the potential list. But the price is soooooooo good ($260 at budsgunshop.com). It's even less than the <shudder> Sigma :eek:.

Preacher_man

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured that I might have to find something else! :'( What else should I look at in a compact 45? I was only looking at the Taurus. Guess I should look at something that is ambidextrous.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm a lefty. I manage the magazine release the same way I do that on a 1911. I just bring back my trigger finger and push the button.

The safety is poorly placed for us left handed folk, but I don't use it. I consider it redundant, as a thumb safety on a properly designed revolver would be. The striker is not tensioned, unlike the Glock striker, and it has a mechanical block until the trigger is pulled.

Now, if someone could tell me how to remove the striker assembly for cleaning...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So are you guys telling me as a lefty I would be happy with this gun? I'm so used to engaging the safety and hitting the mag release with my left thumb. I was not sure how safe the gun would be to carry without the safety engaged. But it looks like your telling me its perfectly safe to carry that way.

Thanks

·
Registered
173 Posts
MrMayface said:
So are you guys telling me as a lefty I would be happy with this gun? I'm so used to engaging the safety and hitting the mag release with my left thumb. I was not sure how safe the gun would be to carry without the safety engaged. But it looks like your telling me its perfectly safe to carry that way.

Thanks
No, I will not say that you will be happy. That will be up to you :)
I own both the PT111 and the PT145 and am a southpaw. I swipe the safety off with the index and eject mag with either middle or index finger. If you really like the gun, then you should not hesitate in learning how to adjust to it. Also, learning how to use your gun in your right hand is very beneficial to you as a shooter. Personally, the PT145 is one of those guns that I can't see myself letting go of very easily. As far as being left handed, it is no secret that we have been adapting to the right handed world for a very long time. This should be no different.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks schlemer! Its been so hard to find any stores with some in stock, but I'll try some on Sat. I want to really play with the gun some to see if those things will keep me from buying it.

·
32,481 Posts
The 911,940, and 945 model guns have ambidextorous safeties. Only the slide release would be the sticking point, but that's already been covered here with the PT145.

Justy giving an alternative.

·
Registered
876 Posts
As a lefty, I don't use the safety either. I trust that the gun will not fire itself from inside my holster.

When drawn, I believe that the gun should be ready to go. I don't want to have to train mself to move a safety lever that is awkward to manipulate left handed.

As for the mag release, that is apparently adjustable from one side to the other. I haven't tried it, but I think that someone posted pics in another thread about two months ago.

·
32,481 Posts
There are two sides to the safety carry issue.

Gun school trainers and writers will cite the fact that on safety carry saves lives or can.

It's been documented that dozens of LEOs have had their lives saved because of the safety being on. This has to do with struggles (an all too common thing is close combats) where the criminal is wrestling with the LEO or citizen for control of the gun. Happens just as many times for citizens as for LEOs. Even when carrying concealed. Bad guy feels gun during struggle.

Gun is appropriated by the perp, but has no way to know which lever or up or down makes the gun off safe to fire. This gives the defender time to do a plan B.

Either regain control of the gun, run like heck, or to access secondary weapon such as a knife or other gun and regain control of the situation.

Off safe carry has it's slight downside. The gun is already to fire just like a revolver. Nothing to stop the perp instantaneously from shooting the owner of the gun.

There is only one documented instance of on safe getting someone in trouble. Been said here at this forum several times so will go for the short version.

A jeweler knew a supposed customer was going to rob him in his business.

Bad guy and good guy pull guns a pproximately the same time. Jewler side steps to make himself harder to hit target as he pulls hit Walther PPK/S out.

Jeweler in the adrenalin dump rush fight or flight moment forgets to off safe gun and pulls the trigger a number of times with failure to fire each time.

Bad guy has revolver out know and shoots jeweler several times and leaves.

Jeweler survives, but just barely. In the video one sees the whole affair. No attempt was made to off safe the pistol.

On safe protects against anything or anyone getting accidently into the trigger guard and releasing the trigger. Happens enough to be a problem to be considered. Things that one think cannot happen of or of circumstances that could not possibly happen do so happen more frequently than one might believe.

Defense and tactical journals document this thorougly.

So off safe and on safe have their pros and cons.

As has been stated elsewhere, off safe means the gun is ready to go at a seconds notice.Nothing to manipulate or possibly flub on the draw.
On safe is a safer approach in some ways.

It's a personal choice which way to carry.

This stuff has to be considered completely.

Safety of others and yourself are at stake.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys! I'm leaning back towards getting the gun now, but we'll see. I'm gonna try to find the thread about changing the mag release to the other side.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
In order to switch the mag release check out the newest addition to the smithing section
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=2351.0

There is no way to change the safety, but you should be able to learn to swipe it off with your index finger... sorry, but being right handed... I can only give advice!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts