Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone has both of these guns, I'd like to know if the magazines interchange or if it only works one way (one being shorter than the other). Check for fit (locks in place), feeding (hand cycles), and slide locking back (on the TCP only, of course).

One of the TCPs that I bought, the guy also gave me a new in the package Pro Mag 10-round magazine for the Kel Tec P3AT with a tag attached to it with written words, "Works in Taurus 738"

I never gave it much though, never tried it out, never brought it to the range with me, just threw it into my big ol' box of gun gear odds and ends. Just happened to see it again and decided to check it out.
Visually, it looks identical to the TCP mags in terms of feed lip area shape, mag catch hole placement, and follower shelf.
It locks into the TCP securely.
It feeds rounds without issue via hand cycling.
It even locks the slide back after the last round.

I wouldn't be surprised if Pro Mag makes this one mag and relabels it separately for the TCP and the P3AT. It really needs a spacer sleeve of some sort for finger support, but otherwise it seems like it would function just fine. However, this is an aftermarket mag so the cross compatibility may be unique to the Pro Mag product.

Therefore, I'm curious about OEM Kel Tec mags and how they would interface with the TCP. There are many varieties of OEM magazines for the P3AT, 6-round original, 7-round with the extension, even a 9-rounder. Pro Mag has the 10 and 15 round offerings, too.

Who knows, maybe some of these answers will open up some options for those hurting for TCP mags and would rather go with a Kel Tec mag than a Pro Mag.

·
Registered
580 Posts
the mags of each are not interchangable. Looks like you got a tcp mag with taurus wrote on the side of it for free.

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Pro Mag Kel Tec P3AT magazine I got is definitely a P3AT magazine. It's new in the packaging clearly labeled and the magazine itself has "Kel 07" on it, which is Pro Mag's model number.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
Ill check tomorrow. My wife has a TCP and my sister has a P3AT. Going to my sisters tomorrow so ill bring the wifes and try it.

Reactions: McE

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
Ok I checked. The mags that came with my sister's P3AT are mecgar but have a keltec baseplate. Does mecgar produce all of keltecs mags? Anywho they worked fine in the TCP. Locked in, hand cycled some rounds without a problem, and the slide locked back on an empty mag. The only obvious thing is the base plate is smaller than the Taurus base plate. Still it didn't look bad. Here's a pic.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
Oh I did have to hit the mag release while inserting the mag. Probably didn't HAVE to but it gave a little more resistance than the factory mag and I didn't want to just jam it in.

·
Banned
4,262 Posts
Just to answer the Mec Gar question. My understanding is they make all the steel mags for the 9mm, 380 & 32 acp Kel-Tec pistols. Could be wrong though. All my KT mags are Mec Gar made. :)

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Ok I checked. The mags that came with my sister's P3AT are mecgar but have a keltec baseplate. Does mecgar produce all of keltecs mags? Anywho they worked fine in the TCP. Locked in, hand cycled some rounds without a problem, and the slide locked back on an empty mag. The only obvious thing is the base plate is smaller than the Taurus base plate. Still it didn't look bad. Here's a pic.

Like we're just supposed to believe that the pink gun is "his sisters"....LOL

I always wondered who bought those. I myself am waiting for the "Hello Kitty AR15".

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
Like we're just supposed to believe that the pink gun is "his sisters"....LOL

I always wondered who bought those. I myself am waiting for the "Hello Kitty AR15".
No that's my wife's. The P3AT mag in it is my sister's;)

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
My wife feels a bit insulted by gun companies thinking that marketing to women means slapping a coat of pink paint on it. Kinda like the old car salesman talking about how the car is designed with the woman in mind also... by installing a makeup mirror above the passenger visor.

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you MG for doing the legwork. Gonna order a couple Kel Tec mags in the name of science. Curious to see if a 9+1 TCP will work out. :)

Btw, what capacity was that Kel Tec mag that you used in the picture?

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
6 round. She had an extended mag too but it had grip extender on it and the curved back of the extender would hit the tcp before locking in. I'm sure without the extention it would have been fine or even shaving off 1/8" of the extender would have worked fine also.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thank you MG for doing the legwork. Gonna order a couple Kel Tec mags in the name of science. Curious to see if a 9+1 TCP will work out. :)

Btw, what capacity was that Kel Tec mag that you used in the picture?
McE, did you ever get that mag to try it out for yourself?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts