Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is directed toward you LEOs out there, if you are say in a store, someone walks up to you to chat or ask you a question, do you want them to tell you that they are carrying concealed? I know if you pull someone over in OHIO it is law that you disclose you are a CHL holder and that you are carrying but what if you have someone walk up to you lets say at a local fair or at a gas station? I live in a small town and I know most of the local officers around here and they know I carry and if they are not pulling me over they do not need me to say anything, I have asked them about it and they say they would rather not have anyone over hear me say anything at all about carrying and maybe cause someone to freak out.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
If someone walks up to me just to chat, no, I don't need to know they are carrying.

If I stopped someone for a violation, I'd like to know if they have any weapons on them....and I would ask.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I'm no LEO but my family and friends know I carry. If someone else is legally carrying, it's none of my business and I'm comfortable with not knowing. I'd hope we'd have each other's back if something serious came up.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
You had best take up the question with someone who knows the laws of your state. Every state has different laws. I suspect no sane LEO would want to hear from everyone he meets in Texas under day to day interaction that the person is carrying. It would drive the LEO crazy. If he stops you in Texas you had best tell him you have a CHL and he will then inqire if you are carrying and definitely doesn't want you pulling out your handgun for inspection under normal circumstances.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I don't know Ohio law. As a personal preference, no, I don't need to know you're armed. I assume everyone is.

We get approached pretty often by what are called "holster sniffers" in these parts. You could give the impression of being one of those vile and annoying creatures. If the conversation turns that way it could be appropriate, but kind of feel things out first.

·
10,379 Posts
Ohio's Must Inform law is a maze of rules just waiting to trip people up.

There's been a few discussions on it on Ohioans For Concealed Carry (Ohioans For Concealed Carry Discussion Forums • Index page), may want to check it out over there...most of those folks really seem to know their beans.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
The openly carried .45 on my right hip should be a hint... ;)

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
In Texas and you're pulled over, it's mandatory you tell the LEO you have a license and whether you're armed. Beyond that the LEO rules.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts