Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do some folks prefer an external hammer as opposed to an internal striker fired pistol?

I noticed that the verbiage used by Taurus when talking about the 800 series in their catalog says they listed to their customers request for an external hammer fired pistol.

Doesn't seem like one method would be far superior to the other. Otherwise the external hammer guns would have all but disappeared by now, or the striker fired pistols would have grown to the number they are today.

Is it simply due to many folks growing up with hammer fired revolvers and pistols, and still preferring that style?

·
Registered
23 Posts
The 800 series are DS/SA pistols.
The hammer is there for a second strike on a bullet that fails to fire. Essentially, it's a single action striker fired weapon. If you pull the trigger and the bullet doesn't fire, it will revert to double action. when you pull the trigger a second time the hammer will fire the bullet. Taurus claims a 97 or 98% chance that the bullet will fire the second time.

I haven't experienced the second strike yet as I have not had any bullets that failed to fire. If there are any inaccuracies in my description, I'm sure someone will set it straight.

Sent with blistering speed from my iPhone.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
The 800 series are DS/SA pistols.
The hammer is there for a second strike on a bullet that fails to fire. Essentially, it's a single action striker fired weapon. If you pull the trigger and the bullet doesn't fire, it will revert to double action. when you pull the trigger a second time the hammer will fire the bullet. Taurus claims a 97 or 98% chance that the bullet will fire the second time.

I haven't experienced the second strike yet as I have not had any bullets that failed to fire. If there are any inaccuracies in my description, I'm sure someone will set it straight.

Sent with blistering speed from my iPhone.
AK,
The 800 Series are traditional hammer-fired pistols and have nothing to do with a striker-fired pistol. Taurus makes DA/SA pistols in both striker-fired and hammer-fired and both have second strike capability.
As to the hammer question, I prefer a hammer for concealed carry. While reholstering, you can keep your thumb on the hammer and ensure nothing snags the trigger and inadvertantly fire the gun. This is particularly important if your preferred carry method is appendix in waist band as an accidental shot is almost guaranteed to be fatal. I like striker-fired guns for their consistency of trigger pull but overall prefer a hammer-fired gun. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I like Hammer fired guns for some of the same reasons mentioned by dallas. My service pistol was a hammer-fired S&W 9mm and so I have a certian comfort level with them. I also prefer the DA/SA trigger pull, first shot double action, second and following shots Single action. I also like having a thumb safety and de-cocker lever. Having an external hammer, for me, always allows me to quickly identify what "state" the gun is in (IE "cocked and locked" Single action, ETC).

It's just personal preference and what I am used to, I'm sure for others a double-action only, striker fired pistol is their preference.

One thing that drew me to the Taurus PT92 and 845 I own is they are both external hammer, thumb-safety pistols.

-Greg

·
Registered
23 Posts
Looks like I has that way mixed up. Thanks for straightening that out for me. Can I get a mulligan on that post?

Tell me boy, what is the riddle of steel?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.