1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If the moderators want to move this thread to the classified section
for the sale of firearms, by all means, go for it. I'm not sure if this should
be in the lounge section, or the classified. Anyway, here goes:

Never having done this before, I just want to be sure of the correct (legal)
procedures. When a person wants to put up a firearm for sale, besides
posting the item, are there any other steps to follow through with?

Such as, would the person have to send the firearm to an FFL dealer?
That was my main concern. I have a couple of firearms that I may wish to
unload in the near future.

I didn't think it was necessary to have an FFL dealer involved with the
transaction; but I want to be sure. Thanks for any advice & input.

Skipper in Tulsa.... :)

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
I believe you will have to contact an FFL and have the gun shipped to a recieving FFL for the buyer.

In other words, it must go from FFL to FFL, not directly from seller to buyer. If it's in state, you may have differing laws, not sure on that one.

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Flyer & Steelheart, thanks a lot for your replies (input).
That makes everything very clear to me now.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Just to muddy the waters some. In most states you can sell a firearm to a resident of the your state without doing the transaction through a FFL BUT you will need to do the transaction Face To Face (FTF) as you still can't ship the firearm to them.

For example, michealFM lives in northern Mn. If I wanted to sell him a gun we would have to physically meet somewhere for the transaction. But since he lives several hours away it might be easier to still ship the gun to an FFL. Now, when I bought my M650 from Thunderjohn, he only lives a hour plus away, a much easier drive.

Just to say it again, some states have laws against transactions like this. Its your responsibility to know your state regs

Steelheart

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Steelheart, thanks very much for posting that last bit
of info yesterday. I will certainly check out my state (Oklahoma)
laws. I want to do this by the book.

You didn't muddy the waters one bit. Actually, you are making
things pretty clear. This is the kind of feedback I need. Selling
a firearm is a whole new ballgame for me.

I have another concern. If I do post a firearm for sale, & I get an
interested party, would I have to get a copy of the license from
their FFL dealer before anything else is done?

I'd like to know how that part of the transaction works out.

Skipper in Tulsa....

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hi Locknload, just a bit more information for you. Actually, you can ship your firearm to a dealer (FFL) directly. You don't have to take your gun to a FFL and have them ship to an FFL. However, you will have to ship your firearm via air freight (UPS is probably the best for firearms).

You are able to ship the firearm to any legitimate gun dealer/broker (gun shop owner) in the city of the person buying your gun without having to get a copy of their FFL. However, the best practice is to get a copy of their FFL and proof of delivery for your records in the event the sold firearm is used in a crime. If the person buying your gun is not a dealer/broker but claims to have an FFL, you definately want to get a copy first. Some guys buy and sell guns for private use so often they pay the $220 for the FFL because it saves them money on paying dealer fees and shiping and handling fees, but they aren't in business to buy and sell guns like your local gunshop owner.

As has already been said, many states allow you to sell your firearm to an individual if both parties are residents of the same state, but the sale must be person to person (not through mail or any delivery services). If you go that route you will want to get a signed receipt of the sale with your gun's serial number on the receipt. But before the sale, and this is important, contact your local police department and ask them what steps you need to do to report the sale of your firearm so that it is no longer registered in your name in federal databases (ATF database). They may have paperwork you can pick up to fill out with the new gun owner.

You don't have to worry about that paper work when you go through an FFL because they are required by law to log their transactions which will include the serial number of the handgun and turn that info over to the ATF.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pierce, thanks a lot for that info.
All the info that you guys passed on helped me
a lot. Thanks again!

Skipper in Tulsa....

·
Registered
212 Posts
Skipper, don't be afraid to contact your local ATF office. The first out of state transaction I did, I emailed the local ATF office & told them what I wanted to do. They promptly replied with exactly what I needed to do in order to comply with all local & federal laws. By doing this, I felt at ease with my transaction, as I knew I was in compliance & had an email from them backing me up.

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
kingofwylietx, thanks a lot for that last post!
That seems like a good idea. I will check with my local ATF;
because I'm sure that if/when I do sell a firearm, it will
be out of state.

Thanks!

Skipper in Tulsa....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts