Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I am a country boy living in the city and need some guidance about shooting ranges. I notice that most ranges don't allow reloaded ammo. My guess is to avoid any mishaps with improperly loaded, super hot rounds. Is this correct? Also, is reloaded ammo the same as "re-manufactured" ammo purchased from a retailer like Black Hills? I notice that Midway USA has some really good prices on re-manufactured ammo that would help the pocketbook when it comes to target practice at the range. My last question is how would a range officer know a reload from a new round? I have no intention on trying to break any range rules, but this does seem like a terribly difficult thing to enforce. :???: Any insight on this is welcomed and appreciated. In advance, thanks.

·
Administrator
40,381 Posts
No ranges in my area exclude reloads that I am aware of. Could be they just want people to buy their range fodder. Hand loads and remanufactured ammo are basically the same only remanufactured in most cases is done in a production setting.
Doubt a range officer could tell for sure. A lot of hand loaded ammo and remanufactured ammo sure look good.

In the long run getting into reloading a win win move. Provided you like to shoot a lot. And find a range that's not so particular. :thumb:

·
Administrator
18,276 Posts
I would not shoot at a Range that did not allow me to use my own reloaded ammunition or use Fanctory Reloads! If our Range/Club adopted such a rule, there would be rebellion!

Could also be that they recycle/sell the Brass and don't welcome Reloaders, because Reloaders collect their brass.

·
Premium Member
11,247 Posts
I only run into problems at indoor ranges. They require no lead or lead free ammo because of OSHA regs. Employees breathing lead dust is the concern.

·
Administrator
40,381 Posts
The only restriction at the area indoor range, as far as ammo is concerned is, no black powder, not even cartridges. I'd rather be outdoors anyway.

·
Super Moderator
35,456 Posts
If I couldn't shoot reloads at our range (fat chance), I'd just run down to my place to shoot, set up my own range.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Gray_Wolf said:
The only factory ammo I shoot these days is .22LR ;) I've never heard of 'no reloads' rule to be honest!
I'll second that! Half the enjoyment of shooting for me is sitting at the reloading bench. Our local range has no restrictions that I'm aware of. Black powder, shotguns, small carbines and large caliber handguns are all accepted without comment. Judging by the ammount of reloading supplies and equipement offered in his shop it's to the owners advantage to sponsor the hobby of reloading by letting us shooters throw our roll your owns down range.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The only rule at the range I frequent is that if you rent one of their guns you have to buy ammo from them. Also, you can only pick up the brass that you shoot, all other brass already on the floor is deemed to be their property.

·
Registered
29,958 Posts
Some folks who are saddled with silly stuff like this;...just scrounge empy factory (Remington, Winchester etc.) boxes from the range's trash can, take em home, fill em with their handloads, and shoot em up upon return to the range...then repeat.

Happily I belong to a an 800 member gun club that encourages handloading.
:D

MOONDAWG

1 - 10 of 10 Posts