Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! this is my first post so I apologize in advance if I do not do something right. lol

I recently bought a pt 92 compact stainless model and have a problem with the factory magazine spring being bad. The local gun store didn't give much help in replacing the spring, and i'm not exactly sure how to replace it or where to find one? also, I wasnt sure if a spring from a full size pt92 would work? any help would be appreciated. thanks!

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
I would think you could order one from Taurus.
If not- don't toss the old one yet. Count the number of coils in it, find a spring for another gun mag that has the same length & width coil spring, and cut it to match the old spring. (if the old spring had 16 coils, then cut the new one down to 16)
If the 92c is a double stack mag, then the standard 92 spring will work if you cut off the extra coils.

If you have never taken a magazine apart- look for a video on youtube on any mag- it should be close enough. It should show you how to disassemble the mag.
Caution: if you are not careful- the mag spring and mag bottom can shoot out about 40 feet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, thank you.. ya, i've never owned a semi automatic pistol so thanks for the heads up because I had no idea. The local gunshop told me it wasn't a hard fix but i didn't see how you would take the magazine apart, i'll have to look that up. thanks again though for the advice.

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
There's a hole on the bottom of the base plate, use something solid to push in there and slide the base plate forward to open it up. Be careful, because the tension on the spring will shoot it across the room.

My guess is that the springs are just overly tight from not being used at all. If you take a dowel rod or long screwdriver and work the follower up and down in the mag, it may get rid of you mag problems by relaxing the tension on the rounds. I would try doing that before cutting the spring since the newer 92 mags have a bend in the front that keeps the follower from dipping in the back.

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
:nopics:

Rule #1. You must show us pics of your new acquisition. Welcome to TA from Jacksonville, FL.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is the picture of the Taurus I just purchased.. My first semi automatic pistol. It has worked very well so far. Just have a problem when loading the bullets are "nosediving" and that's why im being told the spring is worn out? Its making rounds jam when ejecting, but only once every 30 rounds? I'm a little stumped. I went and bought a pt92af magazine, but protrudes from the bottom of the gun and I don't care for it. I'm seriously thinking about cutting the spring down from the bigger magazine to fit my factory one.. does anyone know if I would even half to cut it or should it just work by swapping out?

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
The longer spring is going to induce more force against the lower part of the slide if it's not cut down, which could lead to jams because the round is being forced beyond the feed ramp angle.

Truth be told, it sounds like the springs are simply tight and need worked, the bend in the spring under the follower actually lifts the rear of the follower on my 17 round mags. It looked really odd when I took them apart, but it just seemed to work fine once I got the mags broke in and gave the gun some range time. Took about a week loading and unloading once a day to get them to relax enough to load 17 rounds, but for the first range it ran like a champ using both Tula and PPU 115 gr. ammo.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the insight everyone.. After taking apart the magazine and looking it over. I discovered that the top of the mag is worn and wont catch the slide when the last bullet has been fired..That along with a worn out spring, is my reason for fault.. I recently found two 17 round magazines at a local pawn shop which I picked up for 15 bucks. they are for the full size 92 so they stick out a bit, but id rather have a magazine that works properly then worry about the looks..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts