Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks , I did find one page regarding the Taurus 86 but can't seem to find it again. I'm new here as you can tell from my post count, I have been looking for more info on this revolver that I picked up 3 years ago.

I am calling it a model 86 because there is a 86 stamped under the cylinder .
I will describe as best I can.

6inch barrel , on barrel it is stamped 771 , also on barrel stamped Forjas Taurus S.A. P.Alergre R.G.S. Brasil
Above trigger it is stamped made in Brazil CAL 38 spl int. Dist. inc. Miami Fla
And stamped V 771 opposite side of the 86.

Few questions ,

Why is Brazil spelt different from the two stamps one containing a Z and the other S ?
What does V 771 stand for ?
Is 86 the model number ?
On my Taurus the logo stamped above the grip also has some writing stamped half visible and the other half under the grip. Is this suppose to be like this ?
Why weren't the info preserved for this model?

It does have the adjustable rear site and shoots well , it does have some wear nothing serious , its all dirt and grim no actual dents or scratches .

What would be the year of this revolver , is it possible to tell from these markings ?

I hope this question is not redundant , if so Sorry ahead of time. Also if anyone can help answear these questions plz feel free to educate me

Thanks

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Pete I seem to remember reading somewhere about the 2 different spellings of Brasil/Brazil but I can't seem to find it. The spelling may give a hint as to when it was imported but I can't remember exactly.

Hopefully someone will chime in on the V 771 stamping. I know it's not the serial number but not sure what the reference is.

The model number is 86, sometimes referred to as the Target, Target Scout and Target Master. I believe they have an adjustable trigger/hammer and adjustable trigger stop.

As far as the writing, your best bet would be to post up a photo and I'm sure we can help you out on that one.

You might be able to use the "find my model" on the website or call Taurus with the serial number for the year of production, depending on how old it is. I think the "Blue Book of Gun Values" still list the model 86 with a description and range of production dates.

The model 86 is a great Taurus .38 special revolver! Glad you have one of the classics.

Coop

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should have some free time to take a couple picks in the A.m after work .

I tried the find my serial number and called Taurus each one was a dead end . When I spoke with Taurus rep. She just gave me a 10year ball park of when it was made since my serial number didn't pull up any info.

I didn't post my serial number figuring it wasn't needed. I do know it was made in Brazil and imported I really just want to know more about it , maybe I'm being to nosey and should just leave the subject alone.

What makes me curious is the fact that I have only read about one other gun like this . I enjoy mine and wounder where the rest are ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the prices are correct from the other links then I got a steal on this gun. I paid just under 100$ after taxes at a pawn shop in Nc . The guy had it pro ed 150 and cut me a deal since it was my b-day ....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interarms did most of the Taurus importing, but there were also others as well.

Man-o-man! At that price you got a honey of a deal.
At first the guy tried a few attempts getting me to buy other revolvers, but I don't know y I was just fixed on this Taurus . I'm happy I stick with my gut .

I'm sure other people got that feeling about a peice they bought or are buying . I will post pics as soon as I wake up , I gotta get some rest for work

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took the best pictures I could get, when I get home from work tomarrow morning I will load them to the computer and post them.

The information from those links were pretty helpful .

·
32,497 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts