Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new Night Court Judge in the matte blue finish. My question is, does it shoot the 45 colts? I know it will shoot the 45 Long Colts. Are there any difference except the length? Didn't want to buy them until I knew for sure. Thanks!

·
Registered
778 Posts
OK pard, a .45 colt is what some call a .45 long colt, they are one in the same; the correct name is .45 Colt. The other .45 is a .45ACP which is made for the semi auto pistols.

Reactions: YOT

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
I just bought a new Night Court Judge in the matte blue finish. My question is, does it shoot the 45 colts? I know it will shoot the 45 Long Colts. Are there any difference except the length? Didn't want to buy them until I knew for sure. Thanks!
45 Long Colt is the same as a 45 Colt. Long Colt is really something someone added on a long time ago to differentiate between the other 45s. Like 45 ACP...but there is no such thing as an actual Long Colt, unless you just want to call it that. The 45 ACP won't work because it is a rimless cartridge and therefore will not chamber properly in your gun.

Your Judge will fire the .45 "Long" Colt and a .410 shotshell; the length of the .410 depends on the chamber length. It will be either a 2 1/2" or 3". If it is a 3" chamber it will fire either of the .410 shells. Got a manual? It should tell you what to use.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, that's what I needed to know!

Reactions: hombre243

·
Registered
358 Posts
Not necessarily so

OK pard, a .45 colt is what some call a .45 long colt, they are one in the same; the correct name is .45 Colt. The other .45 is a .45ACP which is made for the semi auto pistols.
Some Revolvers actually shoot 45 acp. Some were made too shoot 45 acp and some like mine were modified a tad to accept the 45 acp cartridge.

Attachments

·
Registered
433 Posts
I was under the impression that the .45 acp round has a much higher chamber pressure than the .45 colt, and therefore should not be used in the Judge.

·
Registered
358 Posts
You are correct about pressures. I have shot a substantial amount of 45 acp through it with no apparent problems. I would not recommend anyone else to alter their gun like mine but I like the ability to shoot 45 acp if I had to. To each there own.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Tracker 455 45 acp and Defender 45 colt

Here is a picture of a Taurus 455 tracker 45 acp and Taurus Defender, both cylinders measure out almost identical. I have put countless rounds of 45 acp through my Defender. To this day nothing has effected its cylinder or forcing cone. Pretty good if you ask me. A testament to Taurus's solid engineering.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
To the OP...
45 colt 14000 psi
45 acp 21000 psi
I'd venture to think the cylinder is not designed for the higher pressure.
Taurus recommends only 45 colt and 410 out of the Judges.
Per shootingthebull410s testing 45 acp from a Raging Judge Magnum, 45 acp performs poorly from the long Cylinder.
Just because something can be done doesn't mean it should be...

·
Registered
358 Posts
?

To the OP...
45 colt 14000 psi
45 acp 21000 psi
I'd venture to think the cylinder is not designed for the higher pressure.
Taurus recommends only 45 colt and 410 out of the Judges.
Per shootingthebull410s testing 45 acp from a Raging Judge Magnum, 45 acp performs poorly from the long Cylinder.
Just because something can be done doesn't mean it should be...
You know Sir when you quote someone as the OP. That means to me I started the thread. I didn't start this thread. Please check before responding. I merely said what I did with my gun. If you don't like it then good luck and fair well, but get your facts straight.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
You know Sir when you quote someone as the OP. That means to me I started the thread. I didn't start this thread. Please check before responding. I merely said what I did with my gun. If you don't like it then good luck and fair well, but get your facts straight.
Obviously, I was addressing the OP..

You're an adult..
You're a smart person..
You know the risks..
Hopefully, nothing bad will happen to your PD..
To each his own..
Good luck with firing overpressurized ammo out of your pistol.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Obviously, I was addressing the OP..

You're an adult..
You're a smart person..
You know the risks..
Hopefully, nothing bad will happen to your PD..
To each his own..
Good luck with firing overpressurized ammo out of your pistol.
Its over pressurized by the way, but anyway Sir, a person always appreciates Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
10,958 Posts
The cylinder is not the only part of the revolver that can be damaged by over pressure. The frame can crack in areas that you couldn't see. The firing pin assembly can break. The transfer bar can be bent, making firing the revolver impossible. All of these items are indicative of over pressure and will void any warranty. This is not just true of Taurus, but of any manufacturer.

·
Registered
358 Posts
The cylinder is not the only part of the revolver that can be damaged by over pressure. The frame can crack in areas that you couldn't see. The firing pin assembly can break. The transfer bar can be bent, making firing the revolver impossible. All of these items are indicative of over pressure and will void any warranty. This is not just true of Taurus, but of any manufacturer.
Appreciate the obvious damage that could be caused by over pressure loads, I would not send my gun to Taurus for repair knowing I modified it. I think the modern metallurgy of Taurus's revolvers is a lot stronger than revolvers of yesteryear shooting 45 acp.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts