Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some states require the individual to present his permit to LEO when he or she is pulled over. What about if you are the passenger? I am sure this varies state to state and placing myself in the LEO's shoes I would like to know what I am dealing with. So Should you or shouldn't you....depending on state laws.

PS....I know in my state of Montana there are NO restrictions of carrying in a vehicle.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
Respect goes a long way, just spit it out and let them know. If you don't they may take it as your hiding something.

Reactions: aphdmansoc

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I would just let him know when I got pulled over I let the cop know and he asked for my permit never even asked to see the gun and let me go with a warning.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know in my state it is not required to let the LEO know about the CCW, but out of respect I will surrender my Drivers License and my CCW at the same time. I know it is what I would want if I was in his shoes. I know he is armed and I will let him know if I am armed as well. I will keep BOTH hands on the TOP of the steering wheel though after I hand over my DL and CCW and Insurance......

Almost everyone in my state is armed. It is kinda normal for the LEO since everyone here seems to carry, especially during hunting season. I even saw open carry at a McDonalds and I never blinked an eye.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
This is a good question - I know here in Texas, LEO's usually ask up front, in the first conversation at the window, "are there any weapons in the car?".

So how does my wife, if she's driving, answer? We have gone over this before, and our plan is for me to have my license/CHL handy (so I don't have to dig around to get them), and she answers, "my husband has a CHL and he is carrying". Then, present the officer my license/CHL along with her license/registration/insurance. All the time with my hands in plain sight on the dashboard.

Any other fellow Texans have any advice/experience?

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
No duty to inform of a weapon or permit in PA, however, letting them know that I have one has saved me from quite a few tickets over the past few years. Most of the time they don't even bother to check anything once I let them know, especially State Troopers since they're always travelling on the highways around Pittsburgh with just a single officer in the car.

Reactions: gyro_cfi

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
I know some states require the individual to present his permit to LEO when he or she is pulled over. What about if you are the passenger? I am sure this varies state to state and placing myself in the LEO's shoes I would like to know what I am dealing with. So Should you or shouldn't you....depending on state laws.

PS....I know in my state of Montana there are NO restrictions of carrying in a vehicle.
I solve this problem by never being the passenger. ;) I hate being a passenger in a vehicle and try to avoid it at all cost.

In Florida you do not have to declare unless you are asked, as a driver my DL and CWL will be in my hand and ready to hand to them before they ever get to the door. I guess as a passenger I would have them both ready in case the officer ever asks the driver the dreaded are there any weapons in the car. Chances are the driver would never know I am carrying anyway. As a passenger if the officer never asked I would not declare.

Of course If I was in another state I would review their laws ahead of time.

·
Registered
6,900 Posts
In TN you are not required to let them know if they do not ask. However, as a person that knows several police officers, they all said, they prefer it when someone lets them know, if for any reason they ask for your id, and run it, they will know you have one, and then will wonder why you didn't.

But as a passenger, i always felt that if the officer doesn't ask you any questions, you need not answer any, that being said, if they asked any questions, much less any that in any way related to weapons in the vehicle, if i had my carry on me, i would say so and that i have a permit, if i didn't i would say i have the permit but do no have my carry.

They are trained to be suspicious of everyone, its how they protect themselves. The more up front you are about it, the better the situation will be. And they usually appreciate honesty, it could be the difference between getting a speeding ticket and not.

I once got pulled over for speeding, and yes i was speeding, and when i told the Leo that i was carrying he, asked to see the permit, and not the firearm, but then he said, "it isn't really any of my business but would you mind if i ask what you carry?", i told him the bersa thunder, he said he had been looking at one of those for a ankle holster backup and then asked if he could see it, but instructed me to unload it prior to passing it off. I did, and we got into a nice discussion about the pros and cons of it, and how it shot. He thanked me for showing it to him and talking about it, then said, I'm going to let you go, but you might want to watch your speed, cause I'm not the only officer that patrols this area, and the other guy gives tickets every time.

But of course i was not the passenger in this case.

·
Registered
140 Posts
My .03:

In NC, you are required to let any officer know. My personal viewpoint: 1) roll your window only halfway down. This is a natural relaxation point for some officers. Why? you show respect that the window is open, but it is not all the way open (if you plan on shooting an officer of the law, usually the window is all the way down (so you don't shoot out the glass), or rolled up to restrict an officer's view. I've been told this is also a universal sign as well. Turn on internal dome light or reading lights as soon as you are pulled over (lets the officer see into your car easier at night). Keep hands on the steering will or dash will fingers out and let them know first thing that you have a permit and are carrying. All while smiling and staying up beat; Its a subconscious reaction to mirror the mood of the person you are talking to and I would much rather have an officer in a good mood at my window than a bad mood (even if it's hidden behind their 'cop persona'). This goes a long way into showing respect and calming an officer's nerves, since every stop could be their last. A calm officer is less likely to "stick it to you" and be more lenient.

Oh yeah, and don't go digging and moving around a lot when you are first pulled over. Reaching into glovebox, under the seat, etc. when the officer can't view you clearly raises the hairs on their neck a bit because they know you are moving around but don't know exactly what you are doing. I'm also very clear in describing my movements to the officer before I make them, including where the gun is in the car or on my person. If it's in the car the officer may separate you from the gun (have you step out of car), it is no biggie. Although having an officer completely disassemble your gun and leave it on your seat is a bit much in my opinion (I've heard of that happening a few times somewhere). If it's on your person, DO NOT unholster the gun. If the officer wants to separate you and the gun for any reason, make sure they do it. That way they are responsible and liable for any issues (they have happened before). Also, this usually happens outside the vehicle where their dashcam may grab a better picture of it (always good to have pictures) as apposed to a dashcam seeing you move inside the car to disarm where it may look like you are drawing to fire at the officer.

I would do this even if I'm not carrying for some reason since in NC, when they run your tags they know the owner of the vehicle has a CC permit.

If an officer gives you a hard time about it, they would have probably given you a hard time no matter what.

Reactions: RichO

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Many of the repies seem to be about the DRIVER.
But the OP was asking about being a PASSENGER.

Myself I feel as others have stated I would keep my mouth shut unless the officers questions involved me.
Such as are there any weapons in the car. Then I would pipe up.

But that does bring to mind a question.
If I am only a passenger am I 'required' to answer 'any' of his questions? Not that I would be one of those # holes who resent all officers for no reason at all.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
In Florida you do not have to declare unless you are asked, as a driver my DL and CWL will be in my hand and ready to hand to them before they ever get to the door. I guess as a passenger I would have them both ready in case the officer ever asks the driver the dreaded are there any weapons in the car. Chances are the driver would never know I am carrying anyway. As a passenger if the officer never asked I would not declare.

Of course If I was in another state I would review their laws ahead of time.
Ditto this ---^

Reactions: tcox4freedom

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
In NC you are required to disclose at first contact with an officer. This question comes up in about every CCH Class we hold so we asked an attorney that deals with these cases. If an officer comes up to a car and says "Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening folks then he has just addressed everyone in the vehicle. If he say Good Morning/afternoon/Evening Sir or Mam then he is speaking directly to the driver. We always suggest that a passenger go ahead and disclose when the officer first comes to the vehicle so he is not surprised and there is no question if he addressed everyone or just the driver.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Unless there is reasonable articulable suspicion of a crime, why is the cop even talking to the passenger(s)?

Assuming this is a traffic stop, I don't agree with those who say a passenger should disclose that they are legally carrying concealed, or even turn over identification.

mbogo

·
Registered
586 Posts
In Texas, when pulled over, I always tell the LEO that I have a CHL and whether I am packing or not. I have been told that if you did not tell the LEO about your CHL and he will discover it when he runs your license thru, then he tends to get pissed off. So, be truthful up front, and it will take some of the tension off of him. All LEOs live a tense life and deserve the credit for the service they do for our community. Just being truthful goes a long way!

·
Registered
125 Posts
The question is about whether the passenger should disclose they have a CHL/CCW, not whether the driver should do so.

mbogo

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
In Texas, when pulled over, I always tell the LEO that I have a CHL and whether I am packing or not. I have been told that if you did not tell the LEO about your CHL and he will discover it when he runs your license thru, then he tends to get pissed off. So, be truthful up front, and it will take some of the tension off of him. All LEOs live a tense life and deserve the credit for the service they do for our community. Just being truthful goes a long way!
I keep reading this but have never been able to confirm it. All that could mean of course is that I haven't looked hard enough.

Can someone post a link to a Texas law talking about this?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts