Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard a fellow the other day at Wal Mat comment that he won't shoot steel cased ammo in his guns. I didn't get a chance to ask him why, but I wondered, do any of you have issues with steel cased ammo? I've shot t in most of my guns without any issues at all. Just wondering...

·
Registered
36,319 Posts
Depends on what you mean by issues?
some guns don't like some ammo, simple as that!
If your weapon will run on steel cased ammo then feed it if you want to.
there are numerous old wives tales about excessive wear on a gun IF you use steel cased ammo.
if an weapon is so soft in the steel that its made from that soft steel cased ammo will wear It out then its not a safe gun to shoot anyway.
there is no telling how many thousands of steel cased ammo thats been shot through guns over the years.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Depends on the firearm. If the gun feeds it smoothly and no problems, then i wouldnt hesitate to use it... Sometimes smaller guns have problems with steel cased ammo and dont give you the consistency you need.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
DPMS says it will void the warranty.
Not reloadable, so I won't use it.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Back before I reloaded for my autos (when ammo was cheap and I didn't want to police my brass) I shot a mountain of steel cased ammo (Tula) through both my G19 and my XD40. I fired roughly 7,000 rounds through the XD before trading it, 75% of which was Tula steel, 15% Blazer aluminum, and a measly 10% was "quality" brass ammo. The XD never malfunctioned on any of that ammo, ever. Nothing broke either, the only maintence was new recoil springs twice.

As long as if works in your gun, fire it.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Current steel cased ammunition is very soft steel, harder than brass casings but still soft. The old stuff was indeed hard and there were issues with not expanding to give a good chamber seal and premature wear on extractors. And the lacquer coating could cause issues. The steel is now soft and the coating is a polymer which I haven't heard of any issues with it. Reloaders don't care for it because it requires more umph on the bench and ain't gonna happen (mostly) with hand tools. I don't hesitate to fire it and I am one picky, ocd, anal, sob.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
His response was out of ignorance or personal preference due to use or hearsay. I don't shoot it in my hand guns only because I reload and I use only brass. But, in my AK (7.62X39) it is all steel case ammo and I have fired some in my AR-15. Never had a problem with it one way or another. ........If it will work in your gun, then fire it.

·
Registered
14,811 Posts
My AR so far is the only gun that I have that doesn't like the Tula steel cased stuff. The problem however isn't the AR not shooting it, ejecting it, etc. The Pmags don't want o e it properly.

·
Administrator
39,727 Posts
My rifle likes it, and I do too! I don't have to pick up the cases, just let them rust away! Brass is another matter though. My rifle likes it too, but I have to pick it up.

·
Super Moderator
36,047 Posts
I recall reading that the original lacquer used would soften and build up in the works as the firearm heated up. I've never used it as I reload and very seldom buy factory ammo.

Reactions: mingaa

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
As our good members have already said, Firing recently made steel case ammo is fine if your gun feeds it without any hiccups. The only exception to this is some surplus ammo. It was made quickly, cheaply, and sometimes under wartime conditions. The steel is often too hard (bad) and the powder or primers in it can be corrosive which will pit or rust your barrel if it is not cleaned out immediately after shooting. Unless you have an firearm that is made from day one to handle this, avoid it. The SKS and AK-47 type of rifles immediacy come to mind.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
I use steel cased ammo in my CZ82, AKs and SKSs. I have also reloaded WW2 vintage 45ACP cases and never had any problems. The only steel case ammo I ever had a problem with was some russian 22lr ammo.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
We have a range that is also "steel free"... Only went there a time or two, cheapest and nastiest range I've shot at.

I have used steel cased stuff but I prefer not to. I have been keeping my brass because I'd like to start reloading one day.

Creek

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
My PT111 G2 doesn't seem to have any problems. It has eaten everything so far. :D The nicest, closest range to us does not all anything but brass. :(

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Only use it in my AK, nothing can kill that thing!

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
AK's are like Mikey in the old cereal commercial - they'll eat anything.
As for steel cased rifle ammo, there shouldn't be any problems with Hornady ("Steel Match"). Ruger Mini-14's can have issues with imported steel cased ammo due to the tight tolerances, and the aforementioned lacquer coating. The official line from Ruger on this issue is that they recommend only SAAMI-spec ammo. This rules out steel cased ammo, as SAAMI specs require brass casings for the ammo.

I haven't had any issues with pistols and steel cased ammo, other than the occasional FTE or FT feed, but it was always after firing many, many rounds.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts