Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this sing at Margaritaville in Myrtle Beach, I have never seen it before. Is it a legal sign? It was inside the building halfway up the stair wall.

Sent from my Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
You say the sign was inside the building? Seems to me, a sign should be on the outside.

·
Registered
676 Posts
It shows the local code at the bottom for legal referrence. It is a legal sign. And if it did or didn't it is still a legal sign. An owner of a business or property, an owner can establish a set of rules and code for the establishment as long as they are posted and clearly visible by all...for those who enter the establishment. No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service. No Trespassing..No Solisiting...No Skateboarding...No Dumping. A sign just must be displayed where it can be seen and read and understood. Although these days it should also be in Spanish. OR be a 'universal' sign. Maybe it should have said "Thank you for not carrying a concealed weapon...Our Designated Areas for carrying are"

By the time someone would have seen this sign, they were already inside the building. Legal sign but useless placement.

No Trespassing for example - The sign is on one side of the property and not on the other. So, is it OK to get on the property on the side which does not have a visible sign. No Trespassing - No Hunting signs have to be posted every so many feet apart. OR/AND where there is common access. OR readable from a distance (not sure on that if is 50 or 100 feet) or "REASONABLE" distance.

I AM NOT AN ATTORNEY nor DO I INTEND TO REPRESENT A 'LEGAL' OPONION.

·
Registered
161 Posts
You need to check South Carolina law and rules. Actually, you should have already since you are carrying there. In TX the sign would not be legal as TX has very specific prescribed signs which must be posted to prohibit carry in places of public accommodation.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
You need to check South Carolina law and rules. Actually, you should have already since you are carrying there. In TX the sign would not be legal as TX has very specific prescribed signs which must be posted to prohibit carry in places of public accommodation.
I agree. Every state is different.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
SECTION 23-31-220. Right to allow or permit concealed weapons upon premises; signs.

Nothing contained in this article shall in any way be construed to limit, diminish, or otherwise infringe upon:

(1) the right of a public or private employer to prohibit a person who is licensed under this article from carrying a concealable weapon upon the premises of the business or work place or while using any machinery, vehicle, or equipment owned or operated by the business;

(2) the right of a private property owner or person in legal possession or control to allow or prohibit the carrying of a concealable weapon upon his premises.

The posting by the employer, owner, or person in legal possession or control of a sign stating "No Concealable Weapons Allowed" shall constitute notice to a person holding a permit issued pursuant to this article that the employer, owner, or person in legal possession or control requests that concealable weapons not be brought upon the premises or into the work place. A person who brings a concealable weapon onto the premises or work place in violation of the provisions of this paragraph may be charged with a violation of Section 16-11-620. In addition to the penalties provided in Section 16-11-620, a person convicted of a second or subsequent violation of the provisions of this paragraph must have his permit revoked for a period of one year. The prohibition contained in this section does not apply to persons specified in Section 16-23-20, item (1).

Edit:
SECTION 16-11-620. Entering premises after warning or refusing to leave on request; jurisdiction and enforcement.

<snip>...shall, on conviction, be fined not more than two hundred dollars or be imprisoned for not more than thirty days.

Reactions: HD-Mike

·
Banned
401 Posts
Howdy,

That sign would be legal in Arkansas.

Heck, it could be written in crayon on a piece of used toilet paper and it still would be a legal sign in Arkansas.

Most places around here that are posted use the simple gun with a line drawn through it.

Right off hand I can only think of two places in my area that have the sign posted.....

The Mall and Sutherland's. You can go to the dept. stores like JCP, Sears, etc that have exterior doors with a CCW but not into the Mall it's self.

Sutherland's? It's a hardware store so instead of going there I go to Lowe's or Home Depot.

Post a "No CCW" sign and I take my business elsewhere.

Paul

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
IMO, not exactly legal.
But I would leave anyway and tell them why.
SECTION 23-31-235. Sign requirements.
(A) Notwithstanding any other provision of this article, any requirement of or allowance for the posting of signs prohibiting the carrying of a concealable weapon upon any premises shall only be satisfied by a sign expressing the prohibition in both written language interdict and universal sign language.
(B) All signs must be posted at each entrance into a building where a concealable weapon permit holder is prohibited from carrying a concealable weapon and must be:
(1) clearly visible from outside the building;
(2) eight inches wide by twelve inches tall in size;
(3) contain the words “NO CONCEALABLE WEAPONS ALLOWED” in black one inch tall uppercase type at the bottom of the sign and centered between the lateral edges of the sign;
(4) contain a black silhouette of a handgun inside a circle seven inches in diameter with a diagonal line that runs from the lower left to the upper right at a forty five degree angle from the horizontal;
(5) a diameter of a circle; and
(6) placed not less than forty inches and not more than sixty inches from the bottom of the building’s entrance door.
(C) If the premises where concealable weapons are prohibited does not have doors, then the signs contained in subsection (A) must be:
(1) thirty six inches wide by forty eight inches tall in size;
(2) contain the words “NO CONCEALABLE WEAPONS ALLOWED” in black three inch tall uppercase type at the bottom of the sign and centered between the lateral edges of the sign;
(3) contain a black silhouette of a handgun inside a circle thirty four inches in diameter with a diagonal line that is two inches wide and runs from the lower left to the upper right at a forty five degree angle from the horizontal and must be a diameter of a circle whose circumference is two inches wide;
(4) placed not less than forty inches and not more than ninety six inches above the ground;
(5) posted in sufficient quantities to be clearly visible from any point of entry onto the premises.

NoConcealableWeaponsAllowed.jpg

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Well, since they serve alcohol there you can't carry anyway. (not yet)

SECTION 16-23-465. Additional penalty for unlawfully carrying pistol or firearm onto premises of business selling alcoholic liquors, beers or wines for on premises consumption.
In addition to the penalties provided for by Sections 16 11 330 and 16 23 460 and by Article 1 of Chapter 23 of Title 16, a person convicted of carrying a pistol or firearm into a business which sells alcoholic liquor, beer, or wine for consumption on the premises is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined not more than two thousand dollars or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.
In addition to the penalties described above, a person who violates this section while carrying a concealable weapon pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23, must have his concealed weapon permit revoked.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
SECTION 23-31-220. Right to allow or permit concealed weapons upon premises; signs.

Nothing contained in this article shall in any way be construed to limit, diminish, or otherwise infringe upon:

(1) the right of a public or private employer to prohibit a person who is licensed under this article from carrying a concealable weapon upon the premises of the business or work place or while using any machinery, vehicle, or equipment owned or operated by the business;

(2) the right of a private property owner or person in legal possession or control to allow or prohibit the carrying of a concealable weapon upon his premises.

The posting by the employer, owner, or person in legal possession or control of a sign stating "No Concealable Weapons Allowed" shall constitute notice to a person holding a permit issued pursuant to this article that the employer, owner, or person in legal possession or control requests that concealable weapons not be brought upon the premises or into the work place. A person who brings a concealable weapon onto the premises or work place in violation of the provisions of this paragraph may be charged with a violation of Section 16-11-620. In addition to the penalties provided in Section 16-11-620, a person convicted of a second or subsequent violation of the provisions of this paragraph must have his permit revoked for a period of one year. The prohibition contained in this section does not apply to persons specified in Section 16-23-20, item (1).

Edit:
SECTION 16-11-620. Entering premises after warning or refusing to leave on request; jurisdiction and enforcement.

<snip>...shall, on conviction, be fined not more than two hundred dollars or be imprisoned for not more than thirty days.
So a good ambulance-chaser could probably get you off, since the sign is not worded as required by the law.

Not an attorney, but I do have a friend who watches Perry Mason re-runs.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Unfortunately there is no penalty for an establishment that posts a non-conforming sign.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
It shows the local code at the bottom for legal referrence. It is a legal sign. And if it did or didn't it is still a legal sign.
Spirit, you live in Texas so you know this sign could very well not be able 'legal'. If this was posted on a business in Texas it would stand no ground. Granted I do not know the laws in S.C., but you skipped right over the fact that checking his state laws is the best way to determine the validity of the sign.

·
Administrator
35,575 Posts
Definitely check the laws in SC. Being from Texas, I have no idea whether that is legal or not....but if I was travelling to SC, I sure would know before I left on the trip.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
Go somewhere else.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Section 23-31-220 of the SC Law simply states that a business has the RIGHT to post a sign, the sign must comply with 23-31-235 and be posted on the OUTSIDE of the building.
Is that sign INSIDE legal? Technically, NO.

·
Registered
47 Posts
This is what PA law says:

Do “No Gun Signs” Have the Force of Law?

“NO”

“Handgunlaw.us highly recommends that you not enter a place that is posted "No Firearms" no matter
what the state laws read/mean on signage. We recommend you print out the "No Guns = No Money" Cards
and give one to the owner of the establishment that has the signage. " As responsible gun owners and upholders of
the 2nd Amendment we should also honor the rights of property owners to control their own property even if
we disagree with them.”

“No Firearm” signs in Pennsylvania have no force of law unless they are posted on property that is
specifically mentioned in State Law as being off limits to those with a Permit/License to Carry. If you are in
a place not specifically mentioned in the law that is posted and they ask you to leave, you must leave. If you
refuse to leave then you are breaking the law and can be charged. Even if the property is not posted and you
are asked to leave you must leave. Always be aware of the possibility that responding Police Officers who
may have been called without your knowledge and may not know the laws on trespass etc. could arrest you
even if you are within the law.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Says nothing about open carry however. There ya go!

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
Is Margaritaville some kind of pub/tavern/bar? I'm still not sure. Perhaps someone who lives
in that area can enlighten me. If it's not, then that sign should have been on the outside of
the establishment.

Makes no sense to put the sign inside the place. A person with their firearm enters the place, only
to be greeted by a gun buster sign, on the inside. At least, if the sign were placed outside the door.
the person could make a decision to go back to their vehicle, & store their firearm, or decide not to go in.

All this speculation on my part, depends on whether or not the place is a bar. If it is indeed a bar, well,
I believe that gwk1951 mentioned that you would not be able to carry in there. I'm still not sure what Margaritaville is! :D

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
Section 23-31-220 of the SC Law simply states that a business has the RIGHT to post a sign, the sign must comply with 23-31-235 and be posted on the OUTSIDE of the building.
Is that sign INSIDE legal? Technically, NO.
That's exactly what I was thinking about weather or not that sign would be legal in Texas. It's inside the building and in Tx it has to be at the point of entry on the outside, as far as I understand the law.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts