Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a new Millennium PT 140 PRO. i may have about 450-550 rounds thru it, love it for what i bought it for.

ok my question, I bought a mag at a "good" gun shop for it. it was in Taurus factory packaging marked for a PT 140.

my problem started quickly when I carried it to the range at the shop, it seems to fit slightly loose at the bottom of the mag well. meaning it had a gap of maybe 1/32 to 1/16 more than i remembered than from my out of box mag's.

OK after firing the first shot the mag dropped right out of the gun. I think i did have 10 + 1 at the time. but (forgive me it's been a few weeks) im pretty sure it did it every time after that. at first i thought it was my grip. i was trying that thumbs forward grip.(hard to do on that little Mill PT 140) but after making sure i was not doing that and shooting my other mags that were NOT doing that, i even reloaded em all mixed em up so i couldn't tell the one i had and the same mag did it again. i did swap it out with a different mag from the shop and i havent shot it yet.. it does fit loose like the first bad one. was it just that one mag or is there different mags? or am i are just stoopid?

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
I just read today, that Generation One mags do not work properly in gen. two, or gen. three Mil pros. Might that be your problem?

·
32,576 Posts
Drummin man627 has the right idea. There are a lot of packaged PT140 mags that are not Millenium pro friendly. Different specs for both pistols mean that magazines for both standard and Mil/pro models will not interchange.

One other possibility is that the one mag is a bad one out of the whole lot and needs to be discarded. There are reports for a lot of brands, models, and makes that have an increase in magazines being a problem. This can happen with any company and has been of late. Not all. Just some.

The other possibility would have been a weak magazine catch spring in the pistol, but since other mags work, this is not likely.

Last but not least is the way the gun is being held. If the thumbs high hold is being used or the grip placement of the hands could inadvertantly cause the mag release to be pushed when one does not notice this. Reposition and a check where placement of the hands might be in order to check that out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea i was wondering that about different mags. i saw on the taurus site that the PT 140 and the pt 140 PRO had different model #'s. i even asked the guy at the shop ( who seemed to know what he was doing) said that the mags for the different gens wouldnt fit but that this one was the same, i was skeptical but i try to trust people's opinion until proven wrong. im most likely gonna take it back. im just not comfortable with it. and try to find the mags with the exact model # as the Taurus site lists. the only difference in the model #'s is that it has an M after the 140. i dont NEED more than 2 mag's for a carry i dont think but heck.. i cant hurt :) thanks for the info guys.

·
32,576 Posts
Glad to be of service.

A few extra mags can't hurt. That's the weakest link in the pistol itself if anything. Might be hard to get mags later on or the price may go up. Politics is taking a swing towards banning again guns and gear again. If one of the several mags give out replacements that you have in your possession is easier than having to wait for the replacements coming who knows when. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've started having a mag release problem with my PT145 Mil Pro 3rd Gen. first started occassionally @ 200- 250 rounds. I'm close to 500 now, mag drops out after 5 or 6 rounds. Falls out with both factory mags. I'll call Taurus monday. This is a replacement for a previous defective PT145 FTF's. I hope I can have mag release mailed to me. I will take to gun smith if I can't install myself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm having the same problem with a pt145. I have a pt745 and have NEVER had any problems with it like I am with this pt145.
Will the factory send a new magazine or do we need to send the whole pistol in for them to check? It is ridiculous.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts