Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was engaged in a bit of range chat when the fellow say my PT1911. He started a litany of Taurus quality problems, particularly revolvers. Barrels coming off, out of the box timing problems, cylinders flying open on the first round and other stuff I can't remember. Been looking at Taurus revolvers, some of which look pretty good. What's the real story on Taurus revolvers?

·
Super Moderator
35,281 Posts
All I can tell you is that the three I have are excellent. The 3" M66, an older gun, had some crane play and a timing problem (though it fired fine), used gun at a gun show. I showed the guy at the table the timing problem and the crane play and got it down to $180 and bought it regardless. Got it home, took it apart. The only problem was somebody took it apart and put it back together with the wrong screw in the forward frame hole. The screw that goes there is longer and bares upon the crane holding it in place. Once I put the right screws in the right side plate holes, problems cured, perfect timing every cylinder, tight as a drum. This gun has been worn and fired, too, lots of holster wear. Now, if I was a Taurus basher, I could have looked at that gun, saw the timing problems, thrown up my hands in disgust and went and bought and equal quality M19 Smith for 4-500 bucks and been all snooty, but I knew better. ;D

Anyway, any time you buy a gun, used or new, Smith or Ruger or Taurus or Colt or Charter or whatever, pick it up and check cylinder timing, end shake, wobble, etc. You can even check cylinder alignment if you carry a bore light with you. Check it out thoroughly before purchase. Don't buy it if you see it's got a timing problem that might not be fixable or might affect the function of the gun. If it has ANY problem and it's a new gun, pass on it. Used guns, use any problems you find to bargain on the gun if you think it might be easily fixable or won't affect the function of the gun. I will never order a gun sight unseen. I want to check it out first, no matter the brand, used or new. It takes but a minute if you know what you're lookin' for to thoroughly check it out.

I've heard all these stories you mention, too, but frankly, I've yet to see any more problems with a Taurus than I have with a Smith. I've owned, do own both. But, I'm picky when I'm judging whether a gun is worthy of my hard earned money. I thoroughly check it out, first. I've passed on Smiths more often than Tauri, probably because more Smiths have seen heavy service and got rather worn over time. I had a beater of a 1917 Smith that shot okay after some gunsmithing, but that old war horse was comical at first. I ordered that one, 100 dollars in NRA "good". Wow, I don't know what their definition of "good" is, but it should be shootable without major smithing. LOL! I sold that one, but it was kinda cool, fired .45 ACP from moon clips. Didn't fire anything half way hot in it, though, near century old metallurgy if nothing else. If I'd checked it out first, I'd have passed. That taught me a lesson about ordering stuff, especially used stuff, sight unseen.

·
Super Moderator
35,281 Posts
BTW, read a good review of the PT1911 on gunblast.com a few days ago. That gun offers a LOT of up grades to the 1911 for a real nice price and from their test of it, seems quite reliable and accurate for a 1911. I've owned a few 1911s and cheap ones, well, can vary is quality. The Taurus seems to be a winner. They had a few early parts problems they've ironed out on the thing, from what I've read, but if I ever get back into another 1911 (not likely, I prefer DA guns and revolvers), the Taurus PT1911 will get my nod for sure.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response. I've had to look hard to find something I don't like about the PT1911. Think I've come up with it and will probably try some Hogue grips. But that's a stretch.

Been thinking that I need a revolver or two. I have a GP100 and single six I really like. My favorite is a S&W M&P .38 spcl that's about 80 years old. Been looking at some of the Taurus .38/.357 short barrel revolvers. Some of the things you hear about the Taurus "reputation" has slowed me down. To hear some folks talk about them, the pieces start falling off before you get it out of the box. I've shot a couple of Taurus revolvers and they seemed pretty nice.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Well, my first hand gun was a M66 (its long since traded off) and I have 2 current revolvers (M85SS & M94B2) and they're both just fine. That M85 has one of the best triggers I've ever shot.

Steelheart

·
32,651 Posts
Posts: 279 As a owner of a PT111 Mil/pro, PT22, model 65,66,85CH, and 94, all Taurus that Taurus does put out decent products. All of these have given excellent service and some are 15+ years old. Longevity and dureability have been the bywords.

In 2005 Taurus won three prestigious awards in the gun industry overall as well as several NRA awards about the same time or even more recently.

The 3 major awards are as follows: Shooting Industry Manufacturer of the Year; National Association Of Sporting Goods Wholesalers of the Year; SHOT Business Manufacture of the Year.

So Taurus has to be doing something right and putting out good products.Otherwise these would not have been awarded. Competition is fierce. These awards are not just handed out.

" Conventional Wisdom" to the contrary Taurus is doing things right for the most part. And...."Conventional Wisdom" is not always wise.

The above is a quote by yours truly in another thread.

I did not vote because I consider other companies makes and models on merits even though I own a number of Taurus revolvers. I do own other makers products, but the Tauri meet every criterea and fill every niche. The Taurus revolvers get used more than anything else. That will be true for a long time to come.

This is from another forum that your truly posted at. The facts have not changed. Names will not be changed to protect the trolls. ;D

·
Super Moderator
35,281 Posts
greener said:
Thanks for the response. I've had to look hard to find something I don't like about the PT1911. Think I've come up with it and will probably try some Hogue grips. But that's a stretch.

Been thinking that I need a revolver or two. I have a GP100 and single six I really like. My favorite is a S&W M&P .38 spcl that's about 80 years old. Been looking at some of the Taurus .38/.357 short barrel revolvers. Some of the things you hear about the Taurus "reputation" has slowed me down. To hear some folks talk about them, the pieces start falling off before you get it out of the box. I've shot a couple of Taurus revolvers and they seemed pretty nice.
Yeah, I like Ruger revolvers, too. Just got an SP101, have two Blackhawks and an Old Army cap and ball. I owned a Security Six for a long time, traded for one of the Blackhawks. I also have my Grandpa's old M10 Smith and Wesson "military and Police" .38 built in the 60s when they did things right. Great old revolver. I can get Taurus .357s all day long used for half what the old Smiths bring at gun shows down here, though, and my 4" M66 is every bit as slick and maybe a little more accurate. Timing and tightness on that thing are beyond excellent, just as good a fit and finish as any Smith I've owned. It's a matte nickle finished gun and superbly accurate. And, yeah, my little M85 has a fantastic DA trigger.

Parts falling off, barrels coming loose, I can guarantee you that's BS, just some idiot bashing the brand or passing on stories he heard on the net by bashers. You might come across an ill timed gun or something, one that might need sending back for a fix, just don't buy it. I mean, I haven't seen one, yet, that I considered Taurus' fault, but they could be out there. That's why I look 'em over before purchase. I mean, especially used stuff, I've seen even a security six or two that was way loose from lots of hot loads and the Ruger die hards claim you can't hurt a Security Six with hot loads, which is BS. They'll wear out just like anything else with enough use and over-pressure handloads. Probably the closest to wear proof is the Blackhawks, not having a hinge at the cylinder and being built for .44 magnum level loads, how are you going to hurt it with a hot .357 in a .357 caliber gun? LOL!

I have really fallen for my Taurus revolvers, though, fantastic quality for the money, better IMHO than my Rossis and on an equal or close to equal footing with the Smith and Wessons with the newer transfer bar actions. No, the Taurus being a side plate frame like the Smith, is not as strong a design as the Rugers. That little SP101 is one SOLID chunk of stainless, no side plate to weaken the design. But, as far as fit and finish, the SP is no better than my 4" M66 or my M85. My 3" gun has a slightly rougher trigger, the old hammer block action, but it's a well built gun, too.

Anyway, how is ANY company going to sell guns that fall apart like you are hearing? Taurus is one of the top selling revolvers now in the US, not sure exactly where they rank, but they sell one HECK of a lot of revolvers here. If they all fell apart, they wouldn't last long in the market, now would they? And, I see a lot of older used Taurus revolvers at gun shows still in great shape after an obviously tough life. This sort of flies in the face of the rumors, don't it?

·
Registered
625 Posts
I presently have two Taurus revolvers and I had a third that I sold some time back. I also own a PT145, Mil Pro. I have never experienced a problem of any kind with any of my revolvers (or the PT145 for that matter). A lot of what you hear is hearsay only, and not from actual hands-on experience.

I would take these claims with a grain of salt. Just enjoy your taurus and tell them to mind their own business!

Todd

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have owned three Taurus revolvers.

My one-time 454 Casulls barrel shot loose in the frame after a bit of shooting with mag-tech 454 JHP's. The barell could be turned by hand it seems as I had traded it without noting it and the new owner brought it to my attention. I offered to buy it back or pay for repair. He sent it to Taurus and they fixed it under warranty and I covered his shipping expenses.

I own a 431 that would not set off primers reliably and shoots 16-18" high at 25 yards. It is away at taurus right now awaiting a rebarreling job.

I own a Taurus M85. This gun has been a gem and is a fine performer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The real story...changes depending on who you listen to. I have an old Raging Bull 454, bought used about a year ago. So far it has been back to Taurus to have the transfer bar replaced, it broke while I was dry firing and watching tv. Then, when I loaded up some full power loads, the cylinder skipped back due to a weak spring. As the gun is circa 1999, I have no knowledge of it's past care, however, I like the gun, shoot it fairly well and can accept the flaws as the price of buying someone elses history. Does this make Taurus a bad buy? Some would say so, but then some people are always ready to bad rap everything. I posted on another forum about my two Anaconda's, some chappie lets fly with the information that Anaconda's blow up a lot, cause he saw two that had. He had no idea of the loads used in them, but was adamant that the Smith 29 was much stronger, even though it has a smaller diameter cylinder. The truth is the Anaconda was designed to take any sane load in 44 and 45. And the gentleman got nasty when I called him on his nonsense. The real story is whatever you make of it. Your gun works, enjoy, if it doesn't...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a Taurus M66 4" .357 and my fiance has a Gen 3 9mm PT111. We have had nothing but positive experiences with these firearms. I like my revover and she likes her semi-auto. We shoot them at the local range frequently and have had no problems. We are satisfied with what we paid for these weapons and they suit the intended purpose. Those who bash the Taurus are expecting $1500 performance out of a $350 weapon. Shooting snobs, I suspect.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I only want to say I now own two 627s, one in six inch barrel and the other in four inch. I must say they are very accurate, made well and function like a good DA revolver should. Their quality, plus the good price, makes them a really good deal for me. About 500 rounds of 125 grain Remington .357 apiece shows me both guns handle well, shoot accurately, eject empties alright and I particularly like the SS finish. The six inch model stays in the pickup truck with me on farm rounds and the four inch (I have a CCW) stays with me most of the other time.
This may be a little harsh for some people to hear, but I believe these two are the equal of either a similar Ruger or S&W .357.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts