Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i hope this is where this needs to go as the question is on a semi auto and revolver, i wasn gonna get a pt22 but today i saw a g2c and it looked good and will go friday to get one or the other, leaning toward the g2c if it turns out to be a good gun overall. i looked at some videos and they talked about a metal guide rod assembly, from what i have read i thought it was plastic. also is there anything else i need to look at when checking the gun? i also need to say it was blue and $200 otd where the pt was stainless and $225. the 856 was blue and $260 otd, i am old school and know revolvers good so i know what to look for in them, even tho i have owned auto's off and on thru the years i am not as good at checking them as i am revolvers. thanks for any help

·
Registered
52 Posts
For me hands down the G2C. I love mine. Thing to check before you leave the store is the hitch in the trigger. Mine wasn't bad and working it back and forth without dry firing it smoothed it out and with the Lakeline stainless striker guide installed it's smooth with a nice crisp break and the gun is accurate as hell. If I was going to buy a small 38 it would be Ruger LCR 38 +P and that's exactly what I did. Shooting +P is not pleasant. After 25 rounds I have to stop the torture. It would be the same story for the 856. So save the +P for defensive CC loads and practice with regular 38 special ammo.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Small things were done to the G2 and G2C to save money. Plastic guide rod, trigger and sights are just a few. Trigger linkage on the inside does not seem real substantial to me compared to a Ruger LC9s Pro I have. However a Ruger SR40, a gun that costs 1/2 again what a G2 does has a plastic guide rod and I believe Glocks do too.
BTW the Ruger LC9 is a tank of a little gun. Metal trigger and guide rod and the slide rail is full length with metal dove tail sights for only $60 more than I gave for a G2. And it has one of the sweetest triggers I've ever pulled
The longer I carry the smaller and lighter the equipment becomes. I started with the SR40. I've scaled down through several until now I'm down to the LC9s.

Reactions: taurustoter

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
Small things were done to the G2 and G2C to save money. Plastic guide rod, trigger and sights are just a few. Trigger linkage on the inside does not seem real substantial to me compared to a Ruger LC9s Pro I have. However a Ruger SR40, a gun that costs 1/2 again what a G2 does has a plastic guide rod and I believe Glocks do too.
BTW the Ruger LC9 is a tank of a little gun. Metal trigger and guide rod and the slide rail is full length with metal dove tail sights for only $60 more than I gave for a G2. And it has one of the sweetest triggers I've ever pulled
The longer I carry the smaller and lighter the equipment becomes. I started with the SR40. I've scaled down through several until now I'm down to the LC9s.

Up to the Gen 3 models, most Glocks did have polymer guide rods, but not now.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'm with the above:

Check the trigger to see if the blade fails to release the trigger.
Not sure of the 856 as I knew I wanted the full heavy .357 capability and went 605 blued non poly
Yep after gen 3 they went metal dual capture like the G2/G2C has. I replaced my guide rod with stainless steel and it balanced out my G17

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
There is no competition for the G2, at least not at it price point. The only thing close is the Sig 365 and it costs a heck of a lot more. My only issue with the G2 is trigger reset is really tight and I have to conscientiously let off after the initial trigger pull or it will follow up with a double tap before you realize it. If you normally double tap, it will be a godsend because it is so fast with that second shot. It points well, sits low in the hand, is very accurate for a short barreled pistol, and it is completely reliable. Yes, it comes with a plastic recoil rod, but that has never been a problem for reliability. I replaced mine with a stainless steel recoil rod, really more to achieve a barrel forward balance than anything else. With its quick trigger, it helps if the barrel stays down on target a little more. Using my G2 I can easily stay up with the police in their double tap drills.

My G2 is in my EDC rotation, along with a Glock G23, a Ruger SR-40C, a Kahr CWS-40, a Taurus 738 that I remade into the personal carry pistol I wanted and an old (stainless steel model) Charter Arms snubby. The G2 carries easily, a lot like the Kahr (my favorite) but is a little heavier due to the double stack mag (more rounds).

The PT-22, and PT-25 for that matter, don't carry as easily as the G2, mainly due to their thickness. It is an exact replica of the Beretta, unless you are looking at the plastic framed one. With rimfire, I would be more worried about the reliability of the ammo, than of the gun.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I am beyond satisfied with my G2. I have done 3 small upgrades in the last month which cost me 87.00. Night Sights/S.S guide rod/S.S. channel sleeve all from LAKELINE . These modifacations are not imperative by any means but it does enhance performance.
The G2 conceals easily, feels great in the hand and has a very nice balance.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Agree. The standard black finish does not hold up.

Op,
Palmetto State Armory is offering the M&P Shield for $249.00. Good till noon tomorrow.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There is no competition for the G2, at least not at it price point. The only thing close is the Sig 365 and it costs a heck of a lot more.

they have a sccy that is the same price, a cpx 2 i think it was. it kinda felt cheap in hand and just didn't feel as good as the taurus. i am going in the morning and buying something, still don't know right now which to choose tho i am leaning toward the g2c, the pt22 has a new challenge if i decide on it, as a new bersa thunder 22lr just came in today priced the same so i have some thinking to do before tomorrow.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Huge difference between the SCCY and the G2. The SCCY is DAO, while the G2 is DA/SA, well as much as a striker fired version can be. Huge difference in trigger feel. I personally think the G2 trigger beats the SCCY hands down.

·
Registered
297 Posts
You don't want a CPX 1 or 2. Lighter than the G2/G2c so it carries way better but at the cost of feeling the shock of that 9mm going off in your hands. It's a smaller gun that won't rust when you sneeze near it but that's about the end of the pros list. Con list is DAO 12 pound trigger all the way and reset is where you started from.

·
Registered
675 Posts
You don't want a CPX 1 or 2. Lighter than the G2/G2c so it carries way better but at the cost of feeling the shock of that 9mm going off in your hands. It's a smaller gun that won't rust when you sneeze near it but that's about the end of the pros list. Con list is DAO 12 pound trigger all the way and reset is where you started from.
I've owned the newest version of the SCCY. Had to be the worst pistol I've owned. DAO trigger was something I did not like.
First mag I shot was blown out of the gun by what I believe was an out of battery occurrence. Felt like gun blew apart.
No visible damage, so I sold it. Good riddance.
My new G2c and the other G2's I own will be my EDC for the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I've owned the newest version of the SCCY. Had to be the worst pistol I've owned. DAO trigger was something I did not like.
First mag I shot was blown out of the gun by what I believe was an out of battery occurrence. Felt like gun blew apart.
No visible damage, so I sold it. Good riddance.
My new G2c and the other G2's I own will be my EDC for the foreseeable future.
LOL I never had that bad of an experience but I did take it apart to fit it with all the parts they would send to me and send it back when they wouldn't FFL it. Taking that gun apart soo much made me jump head 1st into a Glock P80 build,LOL!

My main issue was trigger recall. The new non ribbed triggers caused blisters on my finger and the new frame tolerances were off so I pinched my fingers between the mag base and bottom of the frame. Kinda like the cutout in gen 5 Glocks do to me.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
My first concealed carry gun was a SCCY CPX-1, 9mm. Bought it for $250. It had all I wanted: looked good, felt good, has a 10-round magazine, and was compact. It fires “Double-Action Only” (DAO), which means the trigger pulls the striker back with each shot. This requires a long, firm (9 lbs) trigger pull that took some getting used to.

SCCY makes two models of 9mm semi-autos, the CPX-1 and the CPX-2. The only difference between them is that the CPX-1 has an external manual safety, and the CPX-2 does not; the idea being that the long, firm trigger pull is safety enough for preventing accidental discharge (much like a revolver).

I now feel that the manual safety on the CPX-1 is too light & flimsy. It occasionally shifts ON after a shot. Additionally, the raised ridge that protects the manual safety sometimes rubs the base of my thumb causing a blister after along day at the range. I now agree that the long/firm trigger pull is safety enough, which is probably why the CPX-2 sells better than the CPX-1. It's a good gun though, and it shoots very well. It requires a small tool to remove the pin that holds the slide when you break it down, but is designed so that the base of a empty shell can be used to remove the pin. Smart!

I decided to get another carry gun as a backup, in case something happened to my SCCY. I wanted a different gun than the SCCY, in case there was a recall for some reason. I bought a Taurus PT-111 G2 on sale for $220. It also felt good, looked good, as compact as the SCCY, and has a 12 round magazine (two more rounds than the SCCY). It also has a much better external manual safety (firm & crisp, but not too hard).

The PT-111 G2 breaks down just like a Glock (no tool required), and has the same trigger-blade safety, and an internal safety to prevent discharge if dropped, just like the Glock. It has a chamber indicator that sticks up slightly when there's a round in the chamber, and can be felt in the dark. I like that! There's also a rail below the muzzle if you want to mount a light/laser.

The PT-111 G2 has a long trigger pull that some find annoying; not heavy, but long. This is due to gun's “Second Strike” capability. It normally cocks in single action mode (just like a 1911), but if you pull the trigger and the round doesn't fire, you can pull the trigger again on the same round. The trigger will then engage earlier than usual, pull the striker back, and release from its usual release point. Using reloads at the range this happens to me occasionally, and I find that the round will fire on the second strike about 75 percent of the time.

It didn't take long before the Taurus became my Primary carry weapon, and the SCCY is now the backup. In fact, I liked the Taurus so much I bought a second one. If the PT-111 G2 only had a de-cocker, it would be perfect!

·
Registered
998 Posts
Buying the G2C is one of the best decisions I have made as far as a firearm purchase. Is it equal to my Kahr or CZs?....well close...very close. With regards to accuracy...with the fiber optics on it...very close. Carry comfort....no problem there either. I just like the handgun a lot. Gun Firearm Trigger Airsoft gun Revolver

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I went just now and got the Taurus G2C, I figured I needed another 9mm as my only carry gun is a Ruger LCR 9mm revolver. I will use the Taurus as my in the woods gun as I spend alot of time in the woods. Lately the county that I live in has had several mini horses and several good sized calves ripped up, killed and partially eatin. Sheriff thinks its a cougar from the evidence and tracks around the kill site. makes me feel a little safer with 13rd instead of 5. also the shop guy said he believed the G2C was made in Miami now, is this true? I couldn't find anything on the gun but Miami, didn't look on the box but will when i get back home. thanks for all the help, this is my first Taurus auto, owned several revolvers but never a Taurus auto. I do love the grip texture, it just feels good. thanks again.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Keep in mind Sig P229 and P226 mags will work in the G2. Men-Gar makes 'em cheap. If you're in the woods, a hi-cap spare mag is handy!

·
Super Moderator
38,045 Posts
Caveat for the p 226 hi cap magazines, I bought two and still have not gotten them to work reliably in my G2. Keep getting FTF on about the fifth round.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
My MilPro mags are identical to the G2 mags and I use both.

Reactions: Adamwest436
1 - 20 of 21 Posts