Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've run into 2 problems recently. The worst is what I think is bad batch of primers. 20% are duds. I called the manufacturer and the tech said I was not loading the primers deep enough. Eh, after thousands of reloads I am suddenly not pushing the primers in deep enough. I do check to make sure none of the primers are sticking up above the shell. So, has anyone had a load of bad primers. I have the brand and lot number if anyone wants. I had to buy a new box of primers but have not loaded any just yet. The firing pin looks good.
Then when checking the inserted primers, one of the shells looked short. It was short. I measured the length of the 9mm shell at .710.
It was a range pick up so I don't know if it was short from the factory or did a reloader trim the case this short. Anyone have these problems?

·
Administrator
35,786 Posts
I've had a grand total of one primer fail to detonate out of thousands of rounds I've fired. I know I'm on the sunny side of the curve, but I think one primer out of a thousand would be about normal. Twenty percent failure rate, to me, opens the door to any possibility because that is unacceptable. Is it one gun you're firing these out of? If so, it could be a jinky firing pin. You're not roll crimping the 9mm or 45acp are you? They headspace on the case mouth, and that would cause all kinds of problems.

If you pick up range brass, like I do, you have to take the bad with the good. If it's obviously that short, then somebody probably ran it through a case trimmer, for what purposes, who knows. Just throw out any suspect brass and move on.

Reactions: william and darbo

·
Premium Member
17,735 Posts
Not sure about the primers, but a lot of 9mm MAK shooters will trim 9mm Luger cases for reloading. I do it. Bet that's what you've got. That would be the right length.

·
Registered
17,770 Posts
Have never had a bad primer as yet.
Any primer related FTF turned out to be the chief idiot
in charge (that would be me) did not seat them properly.

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Have never had a bad primer as yet.
Any primer related FTF turned out to be the chief idiot
in charge (that would be me) did not seat them properly.
Yes, I am QC guy, good or bad!

In response to the OP, so far, knock on wood, I have never had a primer, that I loaded, fail. 100% has been CCI, SPP, LPP, and SRP.

What brand primer are you having trouble with?

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
I have had one bad primer and it was several years ago in a 20ga #8-shot load, with 1oz of shot. I still remember it well. Opening day of dove season. Nope not to many duds here.

I do stick with what works for me though. I only use Winchester Pimers, because that is what I started with and I have had really good luck with them. I hope you get it all worked out. Let us know.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah, a 9mm Makarov. Interesting. Thanks for that. As for primers, I too have never had a bad one until this lot. It was a CCI 500 primer. I just loaded 100 rounds of a different lot. I'll get out this week, I hope and see what happens. Firing pin looks good and I gave each primer 3 strikes.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
I don't recall ever having a bad primer, I've had some not seated deep enough, but they went bang on the second go.

They've been so reliable for me, if I started having an issue, the last thing I looked at would be primers. Even then, I would suspect it was contamination from something I did.

·
Premium Member
17,735 Posts
Ah, a 9mm Makarov. Interesting. Thanks for that. As for primers, I too have never had a bad one until this lot. It was a CCI 500 primer. I just loaded 100 rounds of a different lot. I'll get out this week, I hope and see what happens. Firing pin looks good and I gave each primer 3 strikes.
When I do it I use only nickel 9mm cases so I can keep them separated easily since I load all the 9x's...9x17, 9x18, 9x19. I don't load nickle cases for the 9mm Luger or the .380.

Brass Makarov cases are kind of scarce, but there's buckets of Luger brass everywhere. As you can see it's a relatively easy conversion.

·
Registered
28,640 Posts
Allowable height for a small pistol primer is 0.115-0.125"
Allowable depth for a small pistol primer pocket is 0.117-0.123"

So the old it's-seated-if-it's-level method is not always sufficient. I always hand-prime a few primers out of a lot before setting up a progressive for a long run and I check the depth required to get a good seat. Depending on how the case and primers match up, the primers can stand 0.008" proud to 0.008" sunken. They do not feel the same.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I bought a couple thousand Wolf brand primers from someone a few years ago.
Picked them up at his house. He had a nice Dillon press. Obviously an experienced
reloader.

Got them home and started loading them. Had about the same issue you have. Turns out
the things were at the max tolerance for the primer size. I had to patiently seat each primer
then rest the case on a flat surface to make sure it was deep enough. Big pain but it
had to be done.

I never did ask the guy why he was selling those primers. Think I figured it out. Those primers
had to be a nightmare on a Dillon.

Never so glad to be done with a bunch of primers.

All the Best,
D. White

Reactions: TheOldRedneck

·
Registered
28,640 Posts
I bought a couple thousand Wolf brand primers from someone a few years ago.
Picked them up at his house. He had a nice Dillon press. Obviously an experienced
reloader.

Got them home and started loading them. Had about the same issue you have. Turns out
the things were at the max tolerance for the primer size. I had to patiently seat each primer
then rest the case on a flat surface to make sure it was deep enough. Big pain but it
had to be done.

I never did ask the guy why he was selling those primers. Think I figured it out. Those primers
had to be a nightmare on a Dillon.

Never so glad to be done with a bunch of primers.

All the Best,
D. White
Actually a Dillon is easy to set up for proper seating. You just have to do it instead of assuming that everything is hunkey-dory.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Been reloading for a while, have never had a bad primer, let alone 20% failure.

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
Same here, never had a failure in all my years of reloading. Maybe I've just been lucky, but I'll pay better attention in the future. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I seat all of my primers by hand. One less thing to go wrong!

·
Super Moderator
39,232 Posts
I'm having issues with Wolf primers that I've reported on before. They are probably 3 year old SPP and set in 9mm I am getting FTF with my PT92. I was pretty sure it was the gun, but have had them with my PT111 G2 also. 10% +/- might be the estimate...maybe less. Most will fire with the second strike. I need to pay closer attention to what brass it is...I have a fair number of S & B brass with a red dye on the original primer. Some of the Wolf primers are set high on the press and I've had to whack them again...before the bullet is seated.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts