Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really would like to see Taurus' quality control in action, as I have some QC experience under my belt, not with pistols, or any other gun for that matter, but these glitchy problems I read about all over the web leave me wondering. I mean, QC is QC, no matter what the product is, you just measure and examine and test EVERY piece that goes into a product and given that the standard it is tested against has already been tested thoroughly (the gun fires perfectly without incident for a long, long time) every piece you turn out, except for the RARE occurrence of something slipping by, should be perfect. From what I read, a person's Taurus is either perfect, or has one huge flaw that they have to send back to the manufacturer to get fixed. If quality control measures are tight, this does not happen as often as I read about.

I love my 24/7, but you see my concern. Design is not the issue.

Who knows...incompetent employees? under cover subversion? Psychological experiments? or just plain crappy QC are the only explanations I can come up with

·
Administrator
35,530 Posts
I'm not sure I really get what you're saying. Every gun manufacturer, every one of them, has guns that leave the factory and the purchaser has to peel the rhind off it - LEMONS. I see complaints all the time in other forums about Smith and Wessons, specifically the M&P and the Sigmas, as well as many other guns - even Rugers sometimes have issues from the get-go. What I fear with other firearms is the one that is okay for awhile, but then when the warranty is over, you go through alot of pain and money to get it fixed. Taurus has the lifetime warranty - yes, I've heard that at times it can be a pain - and yes, it can be slow sometimes - but generally, if I send my gun back in 7 years because of some problem, I'm going to get it back in 6-8 weeks, probably, and most of the time in perfect working order. And for free. Until Glock, S&W, Springfield, and the rest adopt that, I'll stick to my 24/7 45 cal.

BTW - I haven't seen any q/c issues with my 24-7 at all - it functions perfectly.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I also think that the warranty is huge. I was originally going to buy an M&P from SW but decided on my 24/7 because of the warranty. I love my gun and the way it shoots and I am glad that I made the decision that I ded.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't mean to assault Taurus' warranty and I'm sure there is a lot of good 'ol boy type mentality bias out there concerning the made in the U.S.A. brands and maybe my working knowledge of firearms isn't so that I can sufficiently comment on what I've read about, but the theory stands about quality control, regardless of the brand.

I've read some scary stuff about other brands as well. I was looking into a FNP .45 until I was reading on their forum about pieces actually breaking; metal sheering, I have not seen that with a Taurus.

I suppose I hold the piece of equipment I bought, as opposed to the one I've read about, to a higher standard. We correct the ones we love, right? ;D

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
neviander said:
you just measure and examine and test EVERY piece that goes into a product
I assume you mean you test every piece at specific intervals, not every piece.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
VegasGuy said:
I have experience with QC too. There is no way one could measure every single piece. You are right. You measure every piece at specific intervals. However certain pieces would get checked every time.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Ok, I wonder if someone has built a robot to put the pieces all together. From what I have seen and heard, final assembly is done by hand, military firearms, and civilian firearms.
Yeah, I had one that the guy assembling did not look at AT ALL! The ramp had a gouge that was so big it could not have been not seen. http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=311
Same gun, the front sight was set to the left and the rear sight was set to the right. I was lucky, the dealer I used replaced it no questions asked, no send back to taurus. The 2nd one had a mag that was cracked, again same dealer replaced asap.
Then for others I have seen the photos of barrels that were bent to one side, from the chamber. We have read many reports of defects or broken items. But if we have given the company the chance they have fixed them, (some maybe not the first time). The warranty is great, the pain is paying shipping, and waiting for the return. But so far only 3 manufacturers are offering this type of warranty, Tauri, Rossi, and High Point, that I have learned about. The rest is a year or so max.
Yes, I think they could have spotted some of the problems I had prior to shipping the gun. Putting a gouged ramp or bent barrel in a gun is not good QC.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Robby said:
But so far only 3 manufacturers are offering this type of warranty, Tauri, Rossi, and High Point, that I have learned about. The rest is a year or so max.
Kel-Tec is lifetime waranty also.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
texastaurusguy said:
I'm not sure I really get what you're saying. Every gun manufacturer, every one of them, has guns that leave the factory and the purchaser has to peel the rhind off it - LEMONS. I see complaints all the time in other forums about Smith and Wessons, specifically the M&P and the Sigmas, as well as many other guns - even Rugers sometimes have issues from the get-go. What I fear with other firearms is the one that is okay for awhile, but then when the warranty is over, you go through alot of pain and money to get it fixed. Taurus has the lifetime warranty - yes, I've heard that at times it can be a pain - and yes, it can be slow sometimes - but generally, if I send my gun back in 7 years because of some problem, I'm going to get it back in 6-8 weeks, probably, and most of the time in perfect working order. And for free. Until Glock, S&W, Springfield, and the rest adopt that, I'll stick to my 24/7 45 cal.

BTW - I haven't seen any q/c issues with my 24-7 at all - it functions perfectly.
AMEN

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
VegasGuy said:
I do mean every piece. Define specific intervals. Do you mean testing some and letting others bypass testing?

There are 67 parts on my 24/7 9mm (I counted on the parts list at the back of the manual) to measure/examine/test every single part is not out of the realm of possibility, in fact I would say it's necessary, especially on a piece of equipment that might blow up in your face or not function when a life is on the line if a critical part fails. Most of my QC experience is in the auto industry, but the stringent standards they adhered to sometimes seemed ridiculously overkill and that was with basically inert pieces.

I don't doubt that most 24/7s turned out are just fine. I am not attacking Taurus here people, I love my 24/7 and I plan on buying a SS PT1911 in a month or so, but as I mentioned before, I just try to hold those that I care about to a higher standard. :)

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Like I understand the need for QC, I was in the food industry for almost 34 years, but that food went on an airplane. So you could not go back to kitchen and make it better, or get it replaced. (yeah I have heard all the jokes you know about airline food, and probably a bunch you never even thought about)

Firearms that I have bought, in last year were obviousl Tauri, and Rossi. With the exceptions I have listed in another post, the warranty either from dealer or Taurus was outstanding. The things that are hard to see, and or internal adjustments get fixed. Mine fire when needed, hit as close to POA as I can tell, and have not fail to go bang!

It is the gross, obvious to the end user, errors that bother me. Will I buy another Taurus, You bet on that one! I have at least 2 or 3 more that I would love to have. Sorry to say none of them will be 1911's even with all the great stuff I hear about them, their just to large for me, and in a caliber that I do not need more of.

So another 9mm, 38/357, or 22LR is probably in my future maybe a 45 colt (if the price is right). Maybe even this week, I want to get that 905 9 mm before it is sold.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
neviander said:
I do mean every piece. Define specific intervals. Do you mean testing some and letting others bypass testing?
Yes, that's what I mean. Part A produced on machine B is capable of holding tolerances for 100 parts. So, you check every 50 parts for accuracy. Those 50 parts go into bin C. If the next 50th part is a bad part then you can sort out the good from the bad in bin D and keep the line running.

I worked in a machine shop many years ago and that's how we did it. It was extremely rare for a bad part to slip by. But that was me. There were others who didn't give a hoot. The problem is if you have an employee that just doesn't care, checking every part isn't going to make a difference.

On the other hand, if you are suggesting a company hire a second employee whose job is to check every part produced by the first employee . . . well, let's just say you can afford a more costly gun than I can. :rolleyes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts