1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
400 Posts
Can't pull it up. I do know at times police do things they should never be proud of. I know for sure I would not be alive today if I were a person of color thanks to Chicago's finest. So even as a white kid out on a date in his own car doing nothing wrong except looking too young to own a Cadillac (yeah I loved Caddies). I bought my mom's Dr's 69 Coupe De Ville. Got pulled over slammed around, bent over the hood of my car and awfully scared. All because no cop believed a young (24) Italian "greaseball" as I recall the language used by the cop should be driving a Caddy. I shudder to think what would have happened to me if I wasn't a white guy.

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
Funny how the story doesn't mention that the suspect was shot by a black cop. Seems like some just try to be deceitful and divisive.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Funny how the story doesn't mention that the suspect was shot by a black cop. Seems like some just try to be deceitful and divisive.
I'm not sure where you're getting that the story is being deceitful and divisive because one of the officers involved in this shooting is black? Are you saying this shooting was ok because of that?

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
I'm not sure where you're getting that the story is being deceitful and divisive because one of the officers involved in this shooting is black? Are you saying this shooting was ok because of that?
He's getting at the fact that many of these officer involved shootings (whether legitimate uses of force or actual crimes themselves such as this one) are used by the professional race baiters- Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, BLM,... ad nauseam- to stir up racial strife by claiming a racial motivation behind the shooting.

The fact that the officers were also black just means that it can't be turned into a rallying point for those that make a living pushing the theory of black victimhood and the 'institutionalized' racism scam.

They will just use it to support their anarchist cry for disbanding law enforcement instead.

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
I'm not sure where you're getting that I said "the story" is being deceitful and divisive, and I never said anything was "ok". Perhaps the weapon in question was ditched when the non-compliant suspect went out the side door. However, saying that there is on-going investigation doesn't make good headlines, when some have other agendas.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
I believe the point is that the media did not mention an interesting point, that a black man was shot by a black officer, which might help avoid some racially motivated hate crimes. But we all know how the liberal media loves to stir the pot, fan the fire and boil whomever they can, in the oil.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
They apparently have been arrested, bonded out, and a trial pending. Works for me.
Just like it's supposed to happen.

A crime is committed, the suspects are arrested, the crime is investigated and the whole thing goes to the courts.

That's the way the justice system is supposed to work.

·
Registered
751 Posts
We are not often supportive of LE and their actions but this one could quite possibly seen as a clean shoot. Not a good shoot, but a clean shoot, especially if there is some other previous interaction before the shooting. We played this video at half speed and the officers shot the suspect when he was ordered to show his hands mutliple times and rather than doing so stepped behind the fridge as his right hand went towards his waistband. It could easily be argued that the officers thought he was going for a concealed weapon.

The suspect was shot again after multiple orders to show his hands were made as he lay at the door rolling around with his hands unseen and then suddenly sat up with his right hand going towards the officers.

Could this situation have been handled better? Almost for sure. Could it be argued that this was a clean shoot? Probably.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Just like it's supposed to happen.

A crime is committed, the suspects are arrested, the crime is investigated and the whole thing goes to the courts.

That's the way the justice system is supposed to work.
A crime is allegedly committed. All we know for sure is a homicide occurred and that the police committed the homicide. Whether that homicide is a crime or not is going to be up to the court.

·
Premium Member
7,387 Posts
I can't pull up the video (apparently I'm too young). However, using the term "unarmed man" is irrelevant to me. I understand why the media uses it because it somehow convinces many people that someone shouldn't be met with deadly force because they are "unarmed".

·
Administrator
41,483 Posts
I can't pull up the video (apparently I'm too young). However, using the term "unarmed man" is irrelevant to me. I understand why the media uses it because it somehow convinces many people that someone shouldn't be met with deadly force because they are "unarmed".
I doubt the officers knew he was unarmed. It was reported that he was waving a gun around when they were dispatched. Probably explains the manslaughter charges.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I am normally pro cop, but from what I saw this was a bit too "quick on the draw". The defendant was in no way a threat to the officer, First round of shots ,4, seemed to be hits, Suspect down, writhing in pain from gut shots, shot again when he raised his hands to surrender Officers then drug him by his feet 15 feet (leaving a blood trail 6-8" wide 15') and handcuffed him and stood over him yelling. I understand gut shots are very painful (officers counting 5 or 6 hits) and I would think it very difficult to hold still after taking 4, 9mm shots to the gut (first round of shots). My opinion from what I saw on the video; trigger happy, adrenaline pumped illogically acting cop...

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
I want the whole story before I give my opinion. It could go either way but I am actually unsure because I wasn't there. I do not understand why they drug him that far and didn't at least try to slow the bleeding even though I think at that point it wouldn't have done much good. Why did he duck back behind fridge ? If he had laid down on the ground and kept his hand's visible he would probably be alive now. I'm not saying that they were right to shoot him , I'm saying that I don't know.

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
I recall many years ago here in Central FL county deputies were confronted by a man wielding a 2x4.

So he was armed - with a 2x4. When he advanced on them they cut him down with gunfire. I have no doubt that any object than can be used to bludgeon a person is a weapon. But let's face it - multiple armed men vs. one with a wooden board ...

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Your link isn't allowing me to see the video, but I can read the article and from that they were definitely put on alert from his actions and previous calls to the residence concerning his actions in the past.
He did act to cause problems, he went back inside, exited through a side door, and he was not completely compliant. He could have had a pistol behind the hat he was holding or a long gun leaning behind the fridge.
I will look for the video so I can actually comment better.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts