Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been mulling over a .223 Saiga for some time now and today, went ahead and had one ordered. After I take possession of it, which should be Friday, I'll try and post some pics of it. I picked up some Wolf and Brown Bear ammo too which, for $4.59 a box, was hard to beat.

The price of the Saiga itself wasn't bad either -- $275.00, which is about half as much as a NIB Mini-14 in these parts. ;D

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
And less than a third what I paid for my AR! Not that I'm complaining but....

From what I'm hearing about ammo prices you might want to get a case if you can afford it, even if its just for plinking ammo.

Steelheart

·
Super Moderator
34,958 Posts
That Saiga 12 gauge is interesting, if a little useless for anything, but playing. LOL Pretty danged tootin' good price there on the rifle! I have a cheap SKS that does the job of wasting mass quantities of surplus ammo which is getting expensive now days. The Saiga is a step up from that and that's pretty affordable. Have fun!

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Steelheart,

I'm definitely thinking a bulk ammo purchase should be in order here. It seems the price of ammo consistently
continues to rise, with no end in sight so I'd be better off grabbing a bit of .223 and 7.62x39. That shop has plenty of both Wolf and Brown Bear, and pricing it against a couple of places online, the shop had the better deal, even with shipping not being a factor.

Rockfoot,

Thank you very much! I know what you mean about the high cost of some ammo. I have a Raging Bull in .500 Magnum and I don't shoot it as often as I'd like to just because of how much the ammo costs. It's fun to treat myself to a box of 20 rounds now and again though, and difficult to wipe the grin off your face after putting a few rounds through the tube. :)

NativeTexan,

I was very pleased with the price of it, especially after pricing some of the shops AK-47s, a couple of them were enough to make your wallet scream. :D I'm going to have to look into the .308 version at some point down the road too, though I think they're costlier than their .223 and 7.62x39 counterparts, but still fairly affordable.

·
32,481 Posts
Besides, if the Black Helicopters are coming you'll need all that ammo to defend yourself with. REMEMBER THE ALAMO. This is all for you conspiracy buffs out there. :) ;D Gotta give us a range report.Please? ;D

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:D Will do Qwiks, since I'm very anxious to take it out for a twirl after I receive it.

You can never have too much ammo though, can you? :)
TFL had a thread recently regarding how much ammo people had on hand in various calibers - some of those guys who posted what they had, listed enough to arm a small country -- man am I envious. :D

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took possession of the Saiga today and ran a quick 10 rounds through it after bringing it home. My initial thoughts are that it's a very good buy for the money, just like Taurus and Ruger products. The only area where it was lacking was the finish on and around the cocking handle. In fact, there was no finish on part of the handle itself, either having not been applied very well or not at all. This would have been a problem for some but since it wasn't built to be a thing of beauty, aesthetically speaking, I don't mind.

The size and weight are similar to the Mini14/30s. The magazine is synthetic, not steel, but that also wasn't something I really cared about. I do want to get hicaps for it at some point but from what I've seen, the 30 round magazines are a bit expensive, going for around $50 apiece -- yikes!!

Shooting went well. No failures to feed, fire or eject, though it does throw the empties into the next county. :) I've read some Saiga owners are displeased with the trigger on theirs but I didn't find mine unduly heavy.

In conclusion, for $275 and 20 rounds of .223 at $4.59 a box, I'd recommend it to anyone who'd like another rifle in the vein of the sks -- inexpensive, reliable, likes inexpensive steel ammo, easy to clean and maintain, etc..

I'm going to give it a more thorough going over this weekend and will try to take and post some pics for your viewing enjoyment. :D

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I have 3 Saiga's, all are great. If you want to put a new stock on it, without doing the trigger mod. Goto http://www.riflestocks.com/ and look for their Saiga mods.

223 with short barrel
7.62x39 with long barrel
308 with short barrel and factory folding stock

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks DRAEGER, I'll look into that. I've been debating whether to keep the stock that came with it, or to go ahead and 'AK-ize' it, and convert it to the traditional look we're all familiar with. :)

I was initially going to get a Mini-14 as a future purchase, but with the price of the Saiga being so attractive to the wallet and thinking hard on it, the Saiga got the nod instead.

Do you know if hicaps are available for the .308 as well? I've seen the ones marketed for the .223 though they seemed a bit on the high side, price wise.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Seems they have glowing reviews for the magazines from those who purchased them. I'll definitely have to grab some of those if I get the Saiga .308 -- which I'm now leaning towards the more I think about it.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I have a couple of them and they are great. My order took a little over a month to arrive, but worth it.

·
Administrator
17,596 Posts
Congratulations Taurus_9mm on your new Saiga .223! In case you are thinking of AK-izing it, here are step by step instructions on doing so: http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/
Remember that you must comply with the BATF 922R Parts count regulation.

I recommend saving those pages, as good info sometimes disappears.

While I own an AR15, 2 Mini-14's, one AK, and one SKS, I have considered buying Saiga's in .223 and 7.62x39mm, to play with. I had in mind a Bullpup conversion in 7.62x39mm. The Quality of the Saiga's is excellent and rivals a lot of the other more expensive AK's. Robinson Arms used to use the same parts source for their VEPR Rifle and VEPR K Carbine.

Enjoy!!! ;D

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
That's the beauty of using the Mags from FBMG.com and the stock and pistol grip from www.riflestocks.com/

They are all 100% American made parts, one mag counts as 3-4 parts (forget which) and the pistol grip, adapter and stock count as atleast 3-7 depending on what you add. This gives you room to play when adding original AK parts in your Saiga or AK. There is a Saiga Factory folding stock and another non-folding stock which simply replaces your current plastic stock and does not change your parts count. Also there has been some debate about if the Saiga being an imported sporting rifle not a modded AK, although designed from the AK47 pattern, not an assembled or imported actual AK rifle or variant.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you for the information jwc007. I greatly appreciate the assistance you and DRAEGER have provided. :) I probably will convert it at some point and will make certain to follow the steps provided to make it BATF compliant.

Two Mini-14s, eh? Lucky guy! May I ask if they're SS or blued, and what kind of stocks they sport? I still would like one but after getting the Saiga, it's not as much a priority now as before, though I'd like a companion to the Mini-30 eventually.

·
Administrator
17,596 Posts
You are most welcome, Taurus_9mm!

Both Mini-14's are Blued 185 Serial Numbered series, which have the 1 in 10 Twist Barrel Rifling Rate. One is setup for hunting Coyotes with a 3x to 9x Scope with the Standard Issue Ruger Stock.

The other Mini-14 is setup for Defense/Action Carbine with a Burris 2.5x Pistol/Scout Scope mounted in a Chief AJ Scout Mount by the Barrel Gas Block, stocked with a Choate Pistol Grip Stock, and equiped with a Pin on M14 Front Sight/A2 Style Muzzle Brake.

Also, forgot that I also have a Stainless Ruger Mini-30 Ranch Rifle, that is stocked with the Standard Issue Ruger Stock and equiped with a 1.5x to 5x Bushnell wideview scope. Bought it mainly for Hog and small Deer hunting.

A planned upgrade is to replace the Standard Issue Ruger Stocks with Uncle Mikes/Butler Creek Synthetic Stocks. The Choate Stocked Mini-14 will stay as is.

Scout Mini-14

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Very nice Minis, jwc007! :D I don't know if I'll ever change the stock on my Mini but have debated it. It's their factory issued wooden stock, though I believe Ruger now only offers the Mini-30 in the SS configuration with a synthetic stock. In any event, it's a still a potent round in a compact package and suitable for deer, 'yotes and even goblins if it were needed to be pressed into that role. :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts