Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Seems there are more and more listings on the gun auction sites offering reload ammo for sale. So what is your take/idea/thoughts on purchasing reload ammo from someone you don't know diddley squat about from a gun auction listing. Good idea, would you feel safe shooting it, or would you think it wiser to run the other way and cough up the extra cash and buy new factory loaded ammo?

I placed this question here rather than the Ammo Shop section, because it could apply to either of both of the sub catagories there. I am looking to for best imput and feedback, so I fugured it would get this in the current heading.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I have bought reload ammo but it was from someone who I know locally that has an excellent reputation. I MAY buy form an online auction if they have been at it for a long time and have excellent feedback. Still scares me though.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Do your research. There are a bunch of business out there selling reloaded or, as they call it, remanufactured ammo. Some have been in business for several years and some are recent upstarts. So, there should be plenty of reviews on the net covering these providers.

I do my own “remanufacturing” of ammo therefore, I don’t have any experience with them. I’m sure more members will chime in with their experiences.

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
I usually don't like buying generic reloads (aka remanufactured ammo). I've only seen one squib load from some generic reloads once in a revolver and luckily it was noticed before another round got fired behind it. The last reload malfunction I personally got was only a failure to eject in a recent batch of .45ACP.

I really want to stay away from generic reloads in my future. Especially in thin barrel/chamber concealed carry guns.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
The only experience I've had with remanufactured ammuniton is with the reloads my LGS sells; and I never had a problem with it in my OSS.

·
Registered
32,137 Posts
Local commercial reloaders have reputations within the community, good or bad. My suggestion is to ask around about a reloader, or ask him for references of folks he reloads for or sells to. I have dealt with a local commercial reloader for over three years, but only buy target ammo for .38 special from him. I also only buy plated bullets. I did get one batch of 500 that had about 35 rounds with high primers that rubbed the blast shield and he gave me a free box of shells. Other than that, I have been very pleased with the quality and price. This local commercial has been in the community over 20 years.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
I have only used georgia arms 115gr + 124gr nato, I think I had 1 fail to fire in roughly 1200 rounds however I did notice a large flash out of the 124 nato ammo, and I think it leaves your gun a little dirtier.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Now I have bought reloaded ammo from companies such as Georgia Arms and other small outfits like it. As for some guy making it at home not as a rule would I buy it. However as all rules go they sometimes get broken and the guy I bought my loading setup from actually made my ammo for me for a year. However I saw him shot his ammo for a year prior to buying from him as we belong to the same shooting group. All my self defense ammo is standard factory loads as that I never reload. To me it isn't worth the hassle if one uses a gun for self defense to use ones home made ammo.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I have bought reload ammo but it was from someone who I know locally that has an excellent reputation. I MAY buy form an online auction if they have been at it for a long time and have excellent feedback. Still scares me though.
I tend to agree with CCV. Buy from someone you know you can trust. I used to have a friend who cast his own bullets, and loaded and sold his own ammo -- I never had any problems with it. On the flip side, I bought some reloads (more than once) to save a couple of bucks and had problems with ignition failure and diminished accuracy. Ammo is reasonable enough not to mess with poor quality ammo....

·
Registered
810 Posts
I would buy and shoot reloads from an FFL licensed and insured remanufacturer. Other that that? No.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Don't. A few dollars saved ain't worth the potential problems. There are too many possible errors that can occur. Buy factory ammo in bulk, let them have the liability, or reload yourself. It is fun.

·
Registered
14,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don't. A few dollars saved ain't worth the potential problems. There are too many possible errors that can occur. Buy factory ammo in bulk, let them have the liability, or reload yourself. It is fun.
I think this is my better route. While it maybe a false sense of securtiy in thought, I will feel better or more comfortable doing so.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I used USA ammo while they still made re man ammo in the calibers that i shot and it shot fine. I have some Hunting Shack re man ammo it also has performed well also. These two companies use the same reloading equipment from what I'm told and its the same that makes new ammo. I am reluctant to use a no name manufacturer until its out in the field so to speak. Unfortunately some indoor ranges i go to you must use their ammo, I don't agree with this. I assume the risk and liability of any issues that may arise even if I'm hurt using their ammo. It comes down to a name that i recognize.

·
Super Moderator
19,933 Posts
I have bought reloads as TARGET AMMO only from the range I frequent. I don't buy more than I need (I load up on WWB as often as possible) but the range ammo is darn cheap. But, again, target only. Reloads, even your own, are not a good idea for SD from legal perspective. I do hunt with reloads (my dad's), though, and effectively at that.

·
Registered
6,308 Posts
I don't any more. I bought a box of Coyote brand .223 from my local GS, and the third round blew the mag out of the bottom of my Mini 14, and the bolt had to be hammered back to clear the exploded cartridge. Another bag of .357 Mag bought at the gun show produced a heavy squib. Now, the only reloads are those that I do myself....and is is fun.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts