Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a penchant for some firearms that receive a majority negative opinion on the internet and YouTube. I'm also drawn to modern produced firearms that are relatively unique in design/action as compared to their competition. The Remington R51 Gen2 ticked all the boxes. On the rare occasion I see one at the dealers I normally frequent, the price was never low enough to outweigh the higher probability of ending up with a turd. Went to check out a firearm shop, last Sunday, on the recommendation of a friend. Staff asked me what I was looking for. Asked them, "Do you have the infamous Remington R51?".

"Yes. They were on our 'cyber week' special for $269.99 that ended yesterday. I'll sell you the last one we have in stock for $230", replied the sales-woman.

Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Starting pistol

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Congrats! Well it's a good looking pistol. Let us know if the rumors are true!

·
Administrator
35,714 Posts
Congrats, and I can't wait for a range report !

·
23,210 Posts
It is a handsome piece; looking forward to your range report!

·
Registered
24,947 Posts
Congrats on your new slide gun.

·
Registered
8,802 Posts

·
Super Moderator
38,026 Posts
I've always liked the lines of that pistol and the price is certainly right! Congrats on the new gun. Reading Wino's review again and having it still not reliable on 7 +1 knocks it out for me for now as I would insist on the ability to carry and trust it.

Looking forward to your impressions!

Reactions: MOONDAWG and JaPes

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Congratulations! After Remington did the "reboot" of the R51, I'm pretty sure they got the bugs worked out. I know this for sure, my RM380 is an excellent pistol.

·
Registered
32,267 Posts
Actually, old is new. The R51 has the looks of a pistol originally manufactured in the early 1900's, 1908 and 1905 seem to tickle my memory, but my memory goes back to the original unveiling a few years back, only the frame is polymer instead of steel.

I like the looks of it. Leave your non inserted mags at full capacity. New magazine springs need a little exercise also. Even most mags I have are difficult to load to capacity initially without a mag loader. It takes extra force to fully charge a new pistol mag, which also leaves a pretty strong force on the top cartridge against the bottom of the slide bolt.

Once the spring has relaxed to normal, hopefully your issue with a full mag will also be solved. I am in the market for a 9 but already have a completely reliable single stack I shoot well. Still, if I could buy one for $230, I'd be all over it like stink on a dead carcass.

Reactions: JaPes

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
I've left all the mags for my R51G2 loaded for weeks at a time. The R51 is all metal and hammer fired, not striker. Hammer hidden under slide.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you everyone for the kind replies.

I've always liked the lines of that pistol and the price is certainly right! Congrats on the new gun. Reading Wino's review again and having it still not reliable on 7 +1 knocks it out for me for now as I would insist on the ability to carry and trust it.

Looking forward to your impressions!
I too read Wino's review. I'm very interested to find out if our real world experiences coincide. As for reliability, I purchased it to be a range fun gun. I purchased the R51 knowing that it most likely wouldn't be trust-my-life reliable. As for my initial impressions...

Field Strip & Reassembly = Exactly as cumbersome as I expected, but not as frustrating as the field strip and reassembly of a Ruger MKII or MKIII.

Trigger = Nice break. Uncommunicative reset. IMO, no matter the trigger it's on me to apply the fundamentals of marksmanship.

Grip = Feels good in my small/medium hands.

Hopefully I have some time to get to the range soon, but with the Christmas & New Years on the immediate horizon my time has to go elsewhere.

On a side note, I know what my 1st firearm of 2019 will be. A Taurus 692, 6.5" barrel, matte black. I placed a hold order with my local LGS.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Congrats,good looking Remington R51 pistol.:cool:

Reactions: JaPes

·
Registered
112 Posts
I absolutely love my R51, it’s a fantastic gun! I heard they were junk on the first release, but the second release seems to be near perfect. I use mine as my car gun, which stays in my trunk half of most days.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I too have a re-boot R51. It is unfired in the factory box, as I was absolutely SURE Remington was going to cancel production due to some level of on-going issues. I am tempted to shoot it, but jeez, if i could find one for ~$250 new, I think I would buy another as a shooter. Good score!

·
Registered
824 Posts
I was sorely tempted to get this gun for a lot of reasons. The breakdown and field strip turned me off.

I know... I know.... you shoot the gun more than you take it apart.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
I really dig the aesthetics of the R51, so much so that for a time I had considered buying one over a Walther PPK/S, which in my honest opinion is the most aesthetically pleasing pistol out there, but unfortunately (or perhaps I should say fortunately?) the Gen 1 was recalled shortly thereafter.
Later on when the Gen 2 was introduced I considered buying one as a replacement EDC to my S&W PPK/S, but was ultimately turned off by the fact that the Gen 2 utterly failed to address the issue that is the extremely tedious disassembly/reassembly process, the magazines are still rather inconsistent, and all mention of a forthcoming .40 S&W or .45 ACP chambering has vanished.

I'd still like to get one someday, but I'm in no hurry, and hope that they'll eventually turn out a Gen 3 with all Steel construction, easier takedown/reassembly, available in .40 S&W or .45 ACP.

Honestly, I think the Gen 1 was a failure because Remington attempted to modify a rather obscure action which was designed with .380 ACP in mind for 9mm Luger +P by simply scaling it up, which just plain doesn't work.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Look forward to the range report when the time comes!

I've seen a couple of reviews that discuss there being kind of a '1st run/2nd run' process. 1st run had issues that were corrected by the 2nd run. Don't know how to tell the difference.

On another note, I'm very much like the OP on this: "I have a penchant for some firearms that receive a majority negative opinion on the internet and YouTube." One of the neatest feelings I get shooting is when I've got a gun that is a risky buy, and finding out over the first few magazines/range trips that I've got a winner.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hello everyone,

I finally had some time to go to the range yesterday. Prior to the range trip, I field stripped, inspected, and lubed the R51. In addition to the 2 new factory magazines, I brought along 6 used mags I purchased via e-bay auction. I numbered each magazine just in case, and I'm glad I did.

• 50 Rounds Federal 115gr Aluminum Case, Copper Jacketed Ball
  • 50 Rounds Wolf 115gr Steel Case, Bi-Metal Jacketed Ball
  • 50 Rounds S&B 124gr Brass Case, Copper Jacketed Ball
  • 50 Rounds Speer Lawman 147gr Brass Case, Copper Jacketed Ball

I had a total of 4 failures I can directly attribute to 1 of the e-bay magazines. The round would nose dive in the mag. When inserted and fully loaded, this single magazine had some vertical play not present in the other magazines. The suspect magazine is set aside for inspection later. Otherwise, no failures to feed attributable to the pistol and no failures to extract/eject. As long as the pistol ejects the spent case, I really don't pay attention to ejection patterns. I can say that none just dribbled out, they were consistently out to the right side.

One aspect of range reports that isn't commonly present is the condition of the nut behind the trigger. I am:

• 45 years old.
  • Require bi-focals.
  • Strong side shoulder and elbow injuries that are probably starting to become arthritic.
  • Touch of carpal tunnel in my strong hand.
  • Have small-medium hands.

Once I adjusted to the sights, as long as I held up my end of the marksmanship equation the R51 G2 did its job. I shot targets with 3" diameter circles with a 1" bull at 7 yards. Slow fire cadence about 1 shot every 2-3 seconds, I was able to keep within the 3" and tag the bull 5/7 shots. Faster pace cadence, my shots spread with 2/7 falling outside the bull. When my shoulder, elbow, carpal tunnel acted up, shots spread out but I could keep them within a paper plate center mass grouping.

Observations:

Out of the box, the trigger is neither good or bad. The break is decent. The reset is uncommunicative. After a couple mags, I acclimated to the trigger's reset point. I was able to pull off controlled pairs, though not as fast as I can with an average modern polymer framed striker fired pistol. As expected, the thinner aluminum frame grip and the compact size translated to more perceived recoil than an equivalent polymer framed pistol. The difference in perceived recoil wasn't a detriment over my range session. In my hands the R51 G2 felt comfortable. The grip safety is unobtrusive. I never had to consciously remember to grip/hold in any special way.

I did notice a POA/POI difference between the 115/124/147 projectile ammo. Both the Federal 115gr Aluminum case and Wolf 115gr Steel case requiring a slight left and up adjustment. Since these were shot early into the session, I can't rule out myself as a cause. I do think that since both are relatively inexpensive practice ammo, I don't expect the world from them.

Post range disassembly and cleaning evidenced standard fouling I would expect with any pistol. As other reviews have reported, the aluminum frame where the steel locking block contacts shows signs of finish wear and minor peening. It's something for me to keep an eye on. The frame rails evidence finish wear that I would expect as the pistol breaks in.

Summary:

I like the Remington R51 Gen2. It is enjoyable to shoot at the range. Under live fire, I was able to discern a difference in feel with the R51 as compared to similar Browning type action handguns and that was what makes me like it. It's different. Would I feel comfortable using it as a carry / home defense gun? For my situation, not yet. Honestly, it probably never will because I have other options that better suit my needs.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts