Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On my dealers recommendation I purchased a PT845. I own several handguns and have never had a problem with any of the top brands. I was hesitant to buy from Taurus as their reputation in the past was not that good. I was the director of all my clubs shooting programs from 1989 to 2002 . During this time I saw several Taurus handguns go through the courses of fire and have numerous problems. My dealer said that Taurus has fixed their quality control problems from the past and produces a fine firearm.

I started reading some to posts here after buying the handgun. Have they fixed the mag drop and feeding problems. I have no tolerance for sending a gun back for repair. Mine is a 2012 manufacture according to the dealer. This is the first high capacity 45 I have handled that I like. The feel of the grip and cocked and locked feature are nice. Would hate to get rid of it.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Welcome from Fort Worth, Texas where the West Begins.. The Taurus of yesterday are not the same as the Taurus's of today! I think you will enjoy your new range toy! :)

·
Registered
14,055 Posts
Welcome to the board. Don't give any thought to all the bad press you may have heard from others on the subject of how inferior Taurus product may have been. This information ususally comes from those who don't own a Taurus, shot a Taurus, or understand how Taurus can sell a lifetime warrantied firearm at a bargain price. Kind of like the Hi-Point firearms....no one likes them, except their owners who will rave about the ability of the pistol.

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
Welcome from Missouri.
My PT845 came out of the box, went through the required cleaning and has performed flawlessly for over 500 rounds of various types of ammo - including some home-loaded lead SWC.

·
Registered
138 Posts
About 1500 rounds here with no problem. I just made a post about this pistol on the FN forums. I also have an FNP-45 Tactical. The 845 is almost as accurate, just as reliable, and not picky about ammo. The FNP has a better finish and a few features the 845 doesn't (threaded barrel, tapped for red dot sight, night sights, 3 more rounds) but it refuses to feed WWB ammo, but all others are fine. Taking price into account, the 845 is amazing. I did have a hard time ejecting the mags when I first got the pistol, but it has smoothed out over time. The only mods I've made were to add Meprolight night sights (their 24/7 set fits) and a Hogue grip sleeve. Enjoy it!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I got my, new to me, 44SS8 from a local Gunshop on a warranty exchange on a CAI Cetme rifle that catastrophically failed at the range. I too was a little apprehensive but when the Manager told me about Taurus' Lifetime Warranty I was sold. As he put it, " Don't matter if you're the 1st or the 101st owner, Taurus will back this puppy up! " SOLD! Take a look at the visit to Taurus' Miami HQ that Bigskiff and Airwrench took. That made me more confident about purchasing more Taurus products in the future. The report can be found in Taurus Armed News....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Shot my 845 today. Things went well. Fired 200 rounds of fatory ball, some Fed HS 230gr and assorted handloads some 200gr LSWC and some 230 LRN. No feed problems. Now to find a good concelment holster. Can't find a holster maker that lists the PT845. What is compatible with this model. I prefer leather holsters over nylon or kydex. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
138 Posts
LG45, I have a Don Hume IWB made for the Springfield XD that fits the 845 like a glove. Got it on ebay a couple years ago.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Morning!

I have a PT845 as well. Great gun. Truly enjoy shooting it. I carry it in a Tommy Theis holster. Great combination.
I now have 6 Taurus guns, and you know how this goes, there will be more to come.

Take care,

Gary

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
I don’t have an 845 but do have a PT840. Bought it used earlier this year and must say it is very reliable and a hoot to shoot! I don’t think you can go wrong with a PT800 series pistol.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I have a holster designed for a Beretta PX4 Storm that fits my 809 perfectly. There are several other options, as some have already chimed in with. If you've got a LGS that will let you try a few different brands in the store you should be able to find what fits your purpose and preferences. Enjoy your new 845!

·
Registered
186 Posts
I just brought a new PT845 home today. A friend just bought one - and after doing some research - I couldn't resist. I haven't fired it yet, but I've cleaned it and spent a good deal of time familiarizing myself with it. I am looking forward to
giving it a run. I test-chambered multiple rounds, tested feeding from both included magazines, etc. (in a safe place with the muzzle in a safe direction, of course). No problems so far and the gun seems to operate smoothly. Of course, I won't know anything definitive until actually firing it - and breaking it in.

But, I am confident....and enthusiastic !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts