Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about getting a Puma rifle.Either 44 mag,or 454 Casull.44 mag ammo will be cheaper and easier to obtain.I've read the Casull is close to 45/70 ballistically.Anyone know the reputaion of the Puma lever actions,and ballistics of the .454? I can get a 20% discount the 44 mag will be around $340.the Casull will be around $380.I haven't seen any of the rifles as they will have to be ordered.Thanks.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Don't be to concerned about price of ammo since .44 and .454 are about the same. That said I am a big fan of the .44 mag, and having a carbine in .44mag to go with my m44 pistol would be ideal. But that's just me maybe you got a .454 pistol then getting one of those would be good.

·
Registered
235 Posts
You can get the Puma in a .480 Ruger too ;)

My Dad is very seriously thinking about a Puma in the .480 since he just bought one of the last remaining Super Redhawks in the .480 Ruger caliber.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have admired the Puma's at gun shows - I have a thing for pistol caliber rifles.

Technically, you could also fire .45 Colt through a .454. The Colt is a little shorter.

Here's an owner's review:
http://www.notpurfect.com/main/puma.html

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the link,great info.Now I have to decide on the .44 mag or the 454.A offering in .500 S&W would be awesome wouldn't ?But I seen a box of .500 that someone had at the range awhile back,$35 for 20 rounds.

·
Super Moderator
35,214 Posts
I've owned one for about 20 years in .357 magnum and have shot one doe with it. Accurate, the sight it comes with is a POS and shot uncorrectably high. I put an aperture sight off a .22 on it what has elevation click adjust which works real neat for swapping from light .38 to heavy magnum.

The one problem I've had is case separation. It seems to do this only with nickel brass and reloaded a couple of times. Nickel is brittle compared to brass. I stick with brass now, no nickel cases. It only does this with .357 loads, It's a royal pain to get that brass out when it does that and I've scratched the chamber a bit which ain't good. But, it still works. Just keep the nickeled cases out of it.

It's a pretty accurate gun, about 4 moa at 100 yards with cast 158 and a little better with a JHP 180 Hornady. That's plenty accurate to deer hunt with.

I handload, so I'd go with that .454. That sound's pretty wild. I bet it kicks in a Puma. My gun, I don't know that it breaks 6 lbs and it has the 20" barrel. With a hot .357 in it, it'll rock ya a little bit.

·
Super Moderator
35,214 Posts
I have a Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt that would go with a .454. I could shoot my hot .45 Colt load in the gun for game around here. The .454 would be nice for bear country in Alaska or something, LOL, but totally un-necessary in Texas. I like the .357, though, and I own 4 .357 magnum revolvers, two are Tauri and two are Rugers. The Blackhawk fits the western motif. LOL!

·
Super Moderator
35,214 Posts
That article is a bit confusing. I only read 3 lines into it and it says it's manufactured by Rossi in Spain (mine says "made in Brazil" on it), then it says it's a copy of a 94 winchester which is BS, it's a copy of the 92 winchester. Hmm, this author know ANYthing?

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
A Puma in .500 would be greatly appreciated and would complement my .500 Mag Raging Bull. The only carbine I know of at the moment for the .500 are the single shot Handi-Rifles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts