Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.tampabay.com/news/busin...stores/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

If you’ve got a gun, Publix Supermarkets prefers you keep that knowledge to yourself. At least when you’re in one of its stores.

The Lakeland-based retailer with stores in seven states released a brief statement Tuesday asking customers to not openly carry firearms in its sores.

“Publix respectfully requests that only law enforcement officials openly carry firearms in our stores,” spokesman Brian West wrote in an email to the Tampa Bay Times.
What are @Publix, @FoodLion and @HyVee waiting for?

Food Lion: 800-210-9569https://t.co/ytjmNIRkMS

Hy-Vee: 800-772-4098https://t.co/kJ1HyvtjG8

Publix: 800-242-1227https://t.co/cpyIBa49hi pic.twitter.com/AdNy5bzHfm
– Shannon Watts (@shannonrwatts) September 10, 2019

“Publix is the 38th store brand in the last week to reverse its open carry policy after pressure from @MomsDemand volunteers,” Shannon Watts, a member of Moms Demand Action and Everytown for Gun Safety, wrote on Twitter. “Corporate leaders are standing up to the gun lobby.”

Moms Demand and Everytown are grassroots organizations focused on gun control legislation.
and also there's this:

In May, Vernon Messier was shot in the leg when his wife dropped her purse and a gun she was carrying in her purse discharged while the couple stood in line at a Land O’ Lakes Publix. A few days later, a woman was injured when an off-duty police officer’s gun accidentally discharged at a Miami-area Publix.

Last year, survivors of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting staged a “die-in” at Publix to protest its support of the National Rifle Association and NRA-baked candidates. The retailer announced it would stop donating to the NRA in response to the controversy, but records show the donations resumed earlier this year.

Representatives from Publix did not respond to a request for comment on its concealed carry policy.

Maybe it's a coincidence, but I can't help notice all this stuff occurred after that guy open carried (even though it was slung) an AR rifle into Walmart and wearing obvious body armor while filiming himself allegedly so he could see how Walmart "felt about the 2nd Amendment".
Prior to the mass shootings and that guy, my local stores have had a few people occasionally open carry a handgun in a holster on the hip and there was no major fuss raised about it by anyone. Most people were oblivious to it anyway.

I'm not a person who normally buys into conspiracy theories, but if that guy wasn't already some anti gun activist he couldn't have done a better job of mucking things up for other people. :(

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
Interesting.

All these grocery stores want me to conceal my gun, but if I pick up some of their canned goods and conceal them, they'll think I was shoplifting. I think I need a "customer manual" so I know exactly what procedures I need to follow in order to be allowed to enter in to a store. Maybe they should have online policy manuals that we must read and acknowledge that produces a certificate we can present at the door. Better yet, maybe the government should dictate the day and hour at which I am allowed to be at the store to pick up my rations, er, I mean groceries.

·
Registered
18,837 Posts
If it weren't for the timing, I might complain but the only thing these anti-2A clowns are really doin' right now, is campaigning for Trump's re-election. They got him elected the first time, they're sure to do it again. :smile:...I'm totally cool wi'dat, thanks guys!

·
Registered
29,765 Posts
I don't think it's a conspiracy or anything. I just think alot of companies are walking a fine line, which side to do you make mad and how can you mitigate it.

Saying no OC is a way to mitigate it. They are not telling those of us who do carry we can't but at the same time having no visible firearms keeps those opposed to guns ignorant to their proximity to them.

I won't stop patronizing a place with no OC, I get why they do it. I do many times stop patronizing those with blanket bans.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Personally I find all of this hysterical. I live in a county that is extremely gun friendly Although I am positive there are plenty of guns being concealed I have not once, not one single time seen a person open carry anywhere. Ever.

·
Super Moderator
19,747 Posts
PUBLIX joins the anti-OC movement

Damn!!

They coulda just stayed quiet and have their registers ringing!

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Honestly, I've always seen open carry as a sign of "shoot this guy first" in the even that a weapon is actually needed in a public place. That being said, the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. I'd love to see any other right so infringed upon - how about a sign at Wally World telling people that loud obnoxious cell phone arguments in their store would be met with expulsion? Or a policy to periodically search people for potential stolen goods (no cause necessary)? Or maybe, "We might lock you up in a back room for an unspecified period of time"?

Of course the 1A is under almost as much fire...looking at you, "hate" speech.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
881 Posts
They coulda just stayed quiet and have their registers ringing!
Their registers will still be ringing....

I just think a lot of companies are walking a fine line, which side to do you make mad and how can you mitigate it.

Saying no OC is a way to mitigate it. They are not telling those of us who do carry we can't but at the same time having no visible firearms keeps those opposed to guns ignorant to their proximity to them.

I won't stop patronizing a place with no OC, I get why they do it. I do many times stop patronizing those with blanket bans.
Pretty much this....I have no issue with OC though rarely (rarely) ever see it, both where I live and in places I've traveled to.
Do I agree with decisions like this? No, but when it comes to this kind of thing a smart business tries to appease as many people (on both sides) as they can and they do it knowing they'll never make Everyone happy...

·
Registered
502 Posts
I would always honor a stores requests if possible but really wonder why people are worried about "open carry". I would think folk would rather know who was armed and that banning concealed carry made far more sense.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I would always honor a stores requests if possible but really wonder why people are worried about "open carry". I would think folk would rather know who was armed and that banning concealed carry made far more sense.
Some wise member here taught a new word to me a few days ago but I can't find his name or the thread to give due credit to him.

The word is HOPLOPHOBIA. Seems like there might be a whole lotta people out there afflicted with this.

https://www.gunlaws.com/Hoplophobia-GunFear.htm

·
Registered
18,837 Posts
Their registers will still be ringing..............................................................
:unsure:...if a cash register rings and there's nobody there to hear it........................

Reactions: Yissnakk

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
All of this hyper upsettedness over not being able to open carry in businesses reminds me of the Liberals crying and whining when Donald Trump was elected President!!! Y'all need to grow up and just accept that you CAN still carry, just not openly!!! And Open carry may upset some butt hurt snowflake anyhow so it's best to keep your carry firearm undercover so no one gets their undies in a wad....

·
Registered
129 Posts
I wonder why a person would want to open carry? I can think of a few reasons some folks might want to, but can't think of any good reason to open carry.

Course, like most things (religion, politics, racism, eating habits, smoking, drinking etc.), no argument going to change someone's mind.

BTW, I am not looking at it as the usual 2A and Liberals trying to take away our rights arguments. I am looking at it as what is the smartest thing to do (course, just an opinion in the final analysis).

BTW, as far as TN, we were told at a Police Citizens Class by a Police Officer that TN will be a Concealed Carry only state starting Jan 2020 (I think that date). I might add the Police Officers there agree that Open Carry is a bad thing to do (basically the reasons stated in the article below).

Personally, I would never Open Carry for most of the reasons presented in the link below.

http://preparedgunowners.com/2016/02/11/why-i-dont-open-carry-and-dont-think-you-should-either/

·
Registered
502 Posts
I wonder why a person would want to open carry? I can think of a few reasons some folks might want to, but can't think of any good reason to open carry.

Course, like most things (religion, politics, racism, eating habits, smoking, drinking etc.), no argument going to change someone's mind.

BTW, I am not looking at it as the usual 2A and Liberals trying to take away our rights arguments. I am looking at it as what is the smartest thing to do (course, just an opinion in the final analysis).

BTW, as far as TN, we were told at a Police Citizens Class by a Police Officer that TN will be a Concealed Carry only state starting Jan 2020 (I think that date). I might add the Police Officers there agree that Open Carry is a bad thing to do (basically the reasons stated in the article below).

Personally, I would never Open Carry for most of the reasons presented in the link below.

http://preparedgunowners.com/2016/02/11/why-i-dont-open-carry-and-dont-think-you-should-either/
I prefer open carry for comfort, convenience and honestly experience. When I first carried a handgun back when Ike was President it was openly. When I lived in Arizona and California I carried my gun openly until Ronald Reagan made it illegal for any citizen to carry any firearm.

These days it is mostly open carry or pocket carry.

·
Registered
18,837 Posts
All of this hyper upsettedness over not being able to open carry in businesses reminds me of the Liberals crying and whining when Donald Trump was elected President!!! Y'all need to grow up and just accept that you CAN still carry, just not openly!!! And Open carry may upset some butt hurt snowflake anyhow so it's best to keep your carry firearm undercover so no one gets their undies in a wad....
By the Constitution, we have the right to open carry and personally, I won't let any business large or small, revamp the Constitution on my behalf according to their personal beliefs. Capitulation is foolish, just ask the French. I agree, this only affects OC so yes, we can still carry with restrictions. Think of it this way....you work for a previously agreed upon, set hourly rate but come payday, the boss hands you just $1 for your 2 weeks, 80 hours of work. You should be totally cool with that, right? After all, you may not be getting what you are entitled to but that's okay, 'coz you're still getting paid.

·
Registered
18,837 Posts
Some wise member here taught a new word to me a few days ago but I can't find his name or the thread to give due credit to him.

The word is HOPLOPHOBIA. Seems like there might be a whole lotta people out there afflicted with this.

https://www.gunlaws.com/Hoplophobia-GunFear.htm
I use "Ameriphobes" and "freedomphobes" to label all those who fear America and the ideals of freedom it was founded on.

·
Super Moderator
19,747 Posts

Ummm . . . convenience and comfort. I IWB carried for a few years but due to arthritic shoulders I moved to OC (OWB). Much more comfortable and easier to reach the gun and our state allows it. I’ve heard every anti-OC argument on the book and don’t disagree with them but I do choose to exercise my option to OC anyway. No one has ever given me a second look, the “evil eye” or asked me about it or been afraid. I guess I’m too old, walk with a huge limp, have to wear special shoes to correct a gait disorder and just generally look unoffensive. That’s OK with me. Macho went out of my lifestyle when the grandkids came along!

·
Super Moderator
17,717 Posts
In my opinion "Open Carry" is a "Bridge too far" for the pro-gun crowd. We have our own share of nut-cases that want to do things like legally OC an AR into a Walmart the day after an AR related mass-shooting at a Walmart. Just to gauge the reaction and prove a point. They'll claim they are "pro-gun" but it just looks like a right-wing version of virtue-signaling.

I've seen a few OC. Not a problem in the place and the context. That's not always the case. It's not about everybody that's OC'ing. It about the fringe. They are going to more than screw this up for the rest of us.

You can scream about the Constitution all you want....you'll lose that just on the optics. The Constitution means what the SCOTUS says it means. That's the reality no matter what your personal interpretation of the Constitution is. We've made a lot of progress and these kinds of actions are throwing it all away.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts