Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First, let me say that i really enjoy these Taurus weapons. I no issue with their construction. Most of the guns i own are Taurus. I do however have issue with Taurus web page that commonly publishes incorrect information. Doesn't Taurus realize that the information published is a direct reflection on their perceived professionalism as a whole? Plus shouldn't they take the time to collect data on their guns (keep them in a comprehensive complete archive data base) to allow their customers to have access for reference. It has come to be expected as the other reputable manufactures provide this information.

Now that i have that off my chest here are my findings:

bullets weighed for use:
5 x 250 grn Bayou coated bullets loaded 8.8 grns CFE Remington LP primers starline brass = 4.25 oz
5 various 410/45 rounds ONE Remington 410 ooo buck, two 410 hornady critical defense , two 45 colt hornady 225gr FTX leverevolution= 3.95 oz
9 various 22 lr = 1.05 oz

M94 ss 4 inch- published wt= 25oz actual empty=28.450z/1.778lbs
loaded=29.55oz/1.844lbs

M450UL ss 2inch published wt=20 oz actual empty=20.2oz/1.260lbs (they did well on this one)
loaded=24.4oz/1.506lbs

Okay now for what started this whole thing:
(all weapons are 2 1/2 cylinders)

Remember the Poly PD has two different weights published 23 and 27 oz. when i called Taurus they said both the stainless and blued cylinder weighed in at 27 oz.
the PD UL was said to be about 24 to 26 oz.

Poly PD published wt 23or27 oz actual empty(small grips)= 23.7oz/1.480lbs
(4-425 grips)= 24.1oz/1.506lbs
loaded 4-425 grips= 28.05oz/1.754lbs

PDUL as told by Taurus tech 24-26oz actual empty(small grips)= 20.95oz/1.310lbs
(4-425 grips)= 21.35oz/1.332lbs
loaded 4-425 grips= 25.25oz/1.582lbs

Judge 3 inch ss published wt=29oz
I have the Judge 4 inch ss couldn't find published wt actual empty=36.10oz/2.256lbs
loaded=40.10oz/2.504lbs

JudgeUL 3inch in archives published wt=22.4oz
i have 4inch JudgeUL couldn't find published wt actual empty=26.30oz/1.644lbs
loaded=30.30oz/1.890lbs

well there you have it. actual real wts for my Taurus weapons. i hope this helps everyone and everyone sends Taurus an email to let them know that it is important to provide their customers accurate specifications. It does make a difference to most of us as to how we want to apply the various models.

Reactions: GhostHorse

·
Registered
24,615 Posts
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
29,905 Posts
pOiNt of oRdEr Tonto...

They are GUNS, they become Weapons when you use them either in defense or offense against another life form, usually of he two legged human kind...

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
OK, not trying to be a horse's [email protected]# here. But, did you weigh this yourself? Are your scales you used certified and recently calibrated by a certified URL lab? Or, did you use the weights that the manufactures published for all items?

I am not taking you to task here, but it is not as simple as putting these items on any type of scale and saying this is the correct weight. Also, every manufacture is held to weight standards, which include margins of error by X percent. The average consumer does not have access to this information, therefore with a simple evaluation like this, one cannot say the manufacture is publishing incorrect information.

Just something to think about.

Reactions: mingaa

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
It is very possible that the recorded wights are simply out-of-date. Meaning, the use of newer formulations of alloy's can cause there to be a change in the weights and the webpages were not updated. Are the weights in the manual off as well? Many questions left to answer here.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pOiNt of oRdEr Tonto...

They are GUNS, they become Weapons when you use them either in defense or offense against another life form, usually of he two legged human kind...

HMMM!!!! comes from my old army days...... this is my gun...this is weapon....this is for fun.....etc. I guess i should refer to them correctly as revolvers.

Ummm!!!! I do plan on using them for your stated purpose....well not solely.... but you know....LOL!!

·
22,321 Posts
I completely agree, Silverblack. Attention to detail goes a long way.

And I'd say they are arms. As in "firearms," or "keep and bear arms." But they aren't protected because they are sporting equipment.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, not trying to be a horse's [email protected]# here. But, did you weigh this yourself? Are your scales you used certified and recently calibrated by a certified URL lab? Or, did you use the weights that the manufactures published for all items?

I am not taking you to task here, but it is not as simple as putting these items on any type of scale and saying this is the correct weight. Also, every manufacture is held to weight standards, which include margins of error by X percent. The average consumer does not have access to this information, therefore with a simple evaluation like this, one cannot say the manufacture is publishing incorrect information.

Just something to think about.

Yes scales were new purchase digital. Of course not certified nor were they recently calibrated by certified URl lab.

then you already knew the answer to that question.

My purpose was to get some sort of consistent information. i understand that my scales are not certified but published manufacture data shouldn't be as consistent as they are on the taurus web page. if you look at for instance Ruger their weights are consistent and my scales are on the money or very very close to their weights.

I also understand that various models and their variations or a change in manufacture processes could yield different data. i still think if you look at the published weight of the UL 3 inch and the actual weight of My 4 inch UL.... i can't see how one inch of barrel can add 4 oz.

if you look at the data on the 3 inch stainless and the 4 inch stainless 7 oz difference.

My purpose was not to slam Taurus but to ask them to update their archive's and get them to give us consistent information.

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Always give a 10oz margin for copious amounts of packing grease :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts