Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These 2 guns look exactly the same to me...what is the difference ? ???

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I think it is just the rear sight on the PT99 is a micro adjustable. Other then that I am fairly sure they are the same. I have 2 PT92's (one a decocker) and enjoy them both, they are some of the most accurate pistols I own.

·
Registered
303 Posts
The front sight is also higher to allow for the adjustment range of the rear sight; otherwise they are identical.

·
32,734 Posts
DRAEGER and Shep summed the whole thing up neatly.

Model 99s have the adjustable sights. There are some pros and cons to look at.

Adjustable sights do give you the ability to match better where the impact point is for dead on target over the fixed sights. A variety of ammo can be used and the sights adjusted to put the POI dead center.

If this is a house, hunting, or business gun adjustable sights make good sense.

Now for the possible downsides.

Sights on the model 99 can be bumped by a very hard knock or fall. This can knock the sights out of alignment and the sights need to be reset by going to the range and rezeroing. It would take a very hard blow to do this. 99 sights were better constructed and engineered to withstand such things, but a blow of the right kind could cause troubles.

Model 99 sights do not hang over the back and slightly off the frame like some revolver sights do. They are more on top and low to the frame. This is a plus over other sights that are on semi-autos.

In the act of drawing from a holster it is possible to hook the back sight on the holster impeding the draw. This may not be true for all holsters and scenarios, but has to be considered. In a defense situation when fractions of a second or seconds count, having the sight snag could have disasterous results to the defender.

Holster, gun combinations would be needed to be tried for total holster clearance on the draw before betting one's and other's lives on it. If the gun snags then discard that combo.
That is why the the 99 may be a better gun for house, business or home, over defense carry.

There are those who have carried the 99 in holsters for defense for CCW and have had no problems. The only trouble is that was some time ago.

Members here who carry the 99 for CCW might be able to give you a holster model that is a 100% draw without snagging type.

·
32,734 Posts
Gray-Wolf. Have to ask. Have you seen the recent adjustable sights on the newer 99s? It's been years since I have seen the sights and they seemed able to take some abuse, but not much. More than other types of adj. sights, but not by much.

From the looks of things, it looks like the same type of sights is still on the 99.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I really like the newer Kydex style holsters and Uncle Mikes for a duty-rig. For real leather covers... god the playground is full of really nice rigs to fit your every need.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Okay I know this is an old thread but. I am interested in a pt99 or a pt92. I know the sights are a difference.

Question: How difficult is it to get a fixed sight fixed. I have a friend with a pt92 that is a little off. I ask because I am probably going to buy this model.

Also the pt99 doesn't seem to be offered in DA/SA in a 17+1 capacity. Does anybody know if this is correct. I would like that adjustable sights but would also like a 17+1 in DA/SA. I may have to jut go with SA pt99 if the 17+1 doesn't have the DA/SA feature or the fixed sight isn't as accurate.

Thanks for your input

·
Registered
34,139 Posts
The PT99 is SA/DA and has a decocker. It comes with 17 round mags unless you're buying a California version which only comes with 10 round mags. The 17 round aftermarket mags will work in place of the 10 round mags.

On the PT 92 the fixed rear sight is fairly easy to change, not a big deal.

·
Registered
34,139 Posts
I'm pretty sure that single action is just a mis-print. Bud's is famous for them. I believe they are both DA/SA. You wouldn't need a decocker or a single action only.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
bounty, they are indeed the same other than the sights.

I had a 99 which was the best auto I've ever owned. Put countless rounds through it. I do mean a boatload of rounds!

I had no need for the adjustable sights so I went with the 92 this time.

Both guns hit POA right out of the box. For this reason, I like the 92 configuration.

My newish 92 is off to a great start. One day I believe it will equal my legandary 99.

Can't go wrong either way. These guns are awesome!

·
Registered
45 Posts
leejack- First thank you for your input. I really appreciate it. I have a friend with a 92 like I mentioned. He says its off (low and right about 3") Will Taurus fix this sort of thing.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
I would call them and ask (nicely).

Too many gun owners approach customer service people like a bull in a china cabinet. They are people too; and they do react to the tone set by the customer.

You will catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

Having said that, I would do some testing to make sure that it is the gun at fault.

1. Have others shoot it (experienced others)
2. Try different ammo types and weights
3. shoot it from a supported rest to elininate movement on the part of the shooter.

Make sure the problem is with the gun first, and if so, then give them a call. Remember, be nice!

·
Registered
36,871 Posts
I have an old model 99 and has been a great weapon.
Now a few things that i might mention as to the model 92 and the fixed sights!
first they are adjsutable for windage via tapping them one way or the other, secondly depending on the particualr gun and particular ammuntion that you use they may hit high, or low or dead on.
' the 92/99 should be factory set up for 124 grain projectiles in a standard loading i believe.
Normally one can (depending on their abilities) find a 9mm ammuntion that will print pretty clsoe to dead on through trial and tribulation.
SO the big question is just how accurate do you wnat the weapon to be and how much are you willing to search for that perfect round(s) in your particular gun.
of course the model 99 takes some of this out of the equation as its sights are adjustable both vertically and horizonally.
Most fairly good shooters find the 92 very acceptable at self defense ranges.
But! its much cheaper if you think that you want adjustable sights to buy them on the gun as opposed to adding them later.

·
Registered
36,871 Posts
I should have noted as well!
a 9mm 115 grain bullet, or a plus p 9mm loading very likely will end up low, try a 124 grainer as mentioned above in the post.
as for the right thing, well is he left handed?/
if so this is a usual trigger pull problem for lefties.
if he is right handed and hitting right then the sights can be tapped over a bit, or he is more than likely not getting a true sight picture down the line of sight when he sights at the taregt.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts