Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks....
The pin that holds the adjustable rear sight on my PT99 fell out unnoticed one day at the range and I would like to know if anyone knows how to replace it without ordering a new one from Taurus....is it a standard size pin I can get from an industrial bolt shop?

Thanks

·
32,497 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Will have to let others take this question. Saw this posted at the old site. Glad to see it here. www.brownells.com or www.e-gunparts.com might have what you are looking for.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Quiks draw for the welcome, and the heads-up on this forum.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, as a follow-up, I recently took my PT99 slide only and rear sight to a local industrial nut and bolt shop to see if they could match either a dowel or roll pin for the rear sight. They had a minimum charge of $10 or $15 and although I didn't like having to pay that amount for a measly little pin, if they even had one, I was prepared to do so believing that even that would be less costly than ordering from Taurus.

I explained the situation to the guy that waited on me and he went in the back to see if he could find a pin to match. He came back several minutes later with a SS dowel pin that seemed to fit just fine and was the correct length also. When I attempted to bite the bullet and pay the minimum for this minute little pin the clerk just said "it's ok". I said "what?", and he said "ok" again and then I got his drift and thanked him and left the store.

Every once in a while you find a person that's willing to help you without trying to gouge you. This clerk created more good will by doing that seemingly insignificant deed than probably placing an ad in the local rag, since I will now pass the word to anyone I may encounter in the business to patronize this particular place for all of their nut and bolt needs.

Bottom line is that I'm happier than a pig in sh*t now since I can once again take my 9mm pistol to the range and fire it. ;D

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To follow up my last post, I went out to the range yesterday to fire my PT99 with the rear sight repaired. Much to my surprise, after firing about 20 rounds or so I noticed that the new sight pin that I had installed was stickingout about half way. I immediately tapped it back in and kept an eye on it while I continued to shoot. The pin kept migrating out on a regular basis and I kept having to push it back in. I sure don't want to super glue it in place because I'll never be able to get it out if I ever want to, so as things stand now I don't know what exactly that I'm going to do about it but I may just seal the ends with some rubber cement or something like that unless some of you have a better idea of what can be done.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
How about a little dab of lock tite, like you use on threads. Comes in different strengths, so you can chose super tight, or medium or light.

Might work, but let it set up before you try it out.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good idea. Thanks :thumb:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts