Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have a late 1980's vintage PT99 - and love it. Unbelievably reliable!

But, I'm wondering whether they suffer the same locking block problems that the M9 suffers (i.e. cracked locking blocks). Is this something I should expect to see happen?

If so, are replacements available? Though I guess the lifetime warranty might handle it, it'd be nice to have one on hand already - so as not to miss any shooting time.

Administrator
I broke two in a PT92. Taurus will replace them if you send them the broken locking block. I understand that the military recommends replacement of the blocks after so many rounds. Check at gun shows, I saw some blocks at a booth in Amarillo Texas a couple of years ago that were for the M9, don't know if they will interchange. Taurus might even sell you a couple of spares. :thumb:

Administrator
I've broken 3 locking blocks in my PT92 and most of the time you can get the Pistol field stripped to get it out, but not always. My second Locking Block required Taurus to cut out the Barrel out to get my PT92 apart. They put a new Barrel and Locking Block in and everything was fine, for awhile. In my experience, PT92/99 Locking Blocks have a 5000 to 7000 round life expectancy with Standard Ball Ammunition and Recoil Springs. I have some 22,000 rounds thru my PT92 with more coming.

In general, Beretta has recommended replacement of the standard M9 Locking Blocks at 5000 rounds. M9 Recoil Springs must be replaced at about 15,000 round intervals, or when needed. Trouble is, such maintenance is not always done, and this has been a problem with other small arms throughout the history of the U.S. Military. Also, some penny pincher at the D.O.D. decided to purchase poorly made aftermarket spare magazines for the M9, made by unskilled peasants in South Africa. This has caused some knee jerk condemnation of the M9, most notably by 1911 fancier/armchair Generals, who have no memory of the rattle trap 1911's often issued during the Vietnam conflict, which very often did not work very well! But this is no good reason to condem 1911's either. Properly maintained, either will serve well!

Beretta has recently upgraded the materials of the Locking Block and modified it's Design to avoid breakage of the locking wings. The new Beretta Locking Blocks have been tested to withstand hard use of 40,000 to 50,000 rounds. Also, in addition to the new Locking Block, the new Beretta 902, has a two stage tandem recoil spring system. For a comparison of the new to old locking block, see link: http://beretta.squawk.com/blocks.html

On a historical note, when Massimo Beretta was copying/adapting/simplifying the Walther P38 oscillating wedge locking system into the Beretta 950/951 and later 92 style pistols, he did not get things quite as well done as they were on the Walther. P38 locking blocks almost never break, and generally last the life of the pistol.

My PT92 currently has one of the newer Beretta Locking Blocks in it, as well as a higher power 15 pound Wolff Recoil Spring. The standard Beretta/Taurus 92 recoil Spring is rated at 13 pounds. Wolff has done studies of recoil springs for various 9mm pistols and found them to be undersprung.

Unfortunately, the vendor I purchased my Beretta Locking Block is no longer in business, so I cannot tell you where to get one, but if someone else knows, please, by all means, chime in!

This post will be added to the FAQ section, as this topic comes up, from time to time.

Administrator
These locking blocks are just the weakness of these models. Actually the only weakness of this design that I am aware of.

But then again all designs will have some sort of weakness, somewhere, thats just nature. Nothing is, or ever will be perfect.

Registered
007 I concur with what you stated about the old 1911s in the service. For the first half or so of my career we carried M1911a1s. A few where in good shape and shot well with fair reliability. Most however where abismal wrecks, many with frosted bores and some with set back locking recesses or sights beaten into uselessnes. I remember many occasions where upon slaming home a full mag, all its contents would puke right back out as the floorplate let go. I remember once while calling a course of fire seeing something fly over one shooter's shoulder followed by the malfunction of his weapon. I eventually found the parts and pieced together what happened. The firing pin retaining plate cracked and came apart in three parts allowing the firing pin to flay out ( that is the part I saw in mid air).
When we got M-9s I was sent to SAMI (circa 1997) school and was taught to change out locking blocks every 2000 rounds. This I did religiously and at 4000 rounds I sent the pistols back to Crane where they checked or changed the barrel assy out. I never saw any weapons related failure with any M-9 pistol that I maintained or supervised the maitenance of. It is accurate, easly to shoot and posses' reliability far above the GI 1911.
As a side note the 9mm ammo we issued was (NALC A363) rather hot stuff. 124 gr FMJ at 1260 FPS with a max range of 1962 yards. I believe that would equte to +p. Compare to Win. white box (Walmart special) 115 gr FMJ at 1150FPS.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. Anyone have a source for the Beretta locking blocks? I see them on e-Bay for > $40 which seems pretty steep.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Actually, after actually looking at the auction it appears the locking blocks are the old model, taken out of guns (I assume new guns that were retrofitted with the radiused locking block). So, $40 gets you the old model :mad:

Registered
I heard about locking block problems with PT92's, and for a while, I had two 92's so I thought I'd get one to have just in case. I have since sold my newer 92(stainless), and kept the 16 year old one. I tried the new locking block out at the range a few months ago and it functioned just right in my gun. It still shot very accurately so I now have a backup just in case. I think I bought it from Taurus for 24 or 29 bucks. Also, this gun (PT92B) has way more than 20,000 rounds threw it, probably close to 30K, and it still has the original locking block.

I traded a friend a Glock model 22, for this Taurus PT92B, an SKS (sold that), and $100.00. This Taurus shoots better than any Glock that I have ever had (about12) !!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts