Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I was pounding down range, during an IPSC shoot, when the adjustable rear sight of my PT99 disintegrated (the retaining pin just drifted clear out). Bits and pieces flew everywhere. After clearing and holstering the pistol etc, I gathered together what bits I could find and retired from the field in disgrace (accompanied by an unusually broad range of snide comments from my fellow shooters).

After reassembly, the gun doesn't work. I believe that I am missing the firing pin block spring and firing pin block pin. As a result, the firing pin block is engaged all the time. I can order a new pin and spring - but, since I didn't have the luxury of disassembling the pistol in a controlled environment, I'm not sure how to fit the new spring and pin into the firing pin block.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated!

Davo

·
Administrator
18,113 Posts
Yes, you can order the Firing Pin Lock parts from Taurus, and I have done so. Typically, all you need is the Spring and Retention Cup. However, I suggest you go to the Gun Parts Corp website and download or printout the exploded parts view and make sure of which parts you will need.

http://www.e-gunparts.com/productschem.asp?chrMasterModel=2040zPT-99

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi JWC07

Thanks for the quick response. Taurus doesn't have much of a network Down Under, but I can probably chase down parts locally. If not, I can buy from the USA. Because this thing almost exploded on me, I'm not sure how it all fits together. It would have been good if I'd had the opportunity of disassembling it before the accident!

It looks like the sight holds down the firing pin block assembly (I can't see any other retention device). There appears to be the Block itself, the Pin and the Spring. Is that so?

I notice that the Gun Parts site talks about Firing Pin Block Spring (#562150B) and Firing Pin Block Pin (#562130B). I couldn't see a Retention Cup - or is that the Pin? How do they fit together?

Cheers

Davo

·
Administrator
18,113 Posts
The Firing Pin Block Pin (#562130B) sits atop the Firing Pin Block Spring (#562150B) and is retained by nothing but the Rear Sight. Some other guns use a cupped retainer instead of a pin. I confused the models a bit, as I also work on other makes and models.

For Installation, Drive the Rear Sight into the Dovetail, from right to left, till just over the hole in the Firing Pin Lock, install the Block Pin onto the Spring, so that the Pin will be up against the rear sight, and install by driving the Rear Sight completely over it.

I recommend Loc-Titeing the Rear Sight Retention in, to keep this from happening again.

After Re-Assembly, check the operation of the Firing Pin Lock and Test Fire the Pistol.

Your local importer may have parts available. If not, you can order from either Taurus-USA or Gun Parts Corp. Some Importers may wish to inspect and install safety related parts of your pistol under warranty, and therefore may not sell you those parts.

BTW, my Taurus PT92 is one of my favorite IPSC pistols and one of my favorite home defense pistols.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi JWC007

With the PT99, the point of retention for the sight is the pin that's drifted through the front of the sight. Then there's a tensioning spring between that point and the adjusting screw. So, when the pin drifts out, the whole lot falls apart!

I guess the same principle applies as to the PT92 - put the firing pin block components together and maybe hold them down with tape until I can screw the adjustable sight on top of everything. I'm very tempted to lock the adjusting screw down tight in its lowest position and leave it - but that sort of defeats the purpose of having an adjustable sight.

I like the PT99 - it's a good Production pistol that I can also shoot Standard with (I usually use a Glock 34 for Standard, a 1911 for Open and Dan Wesson for Revolver). Apart from this incident, I've had no problems with it and it shoots well.

I'll order the parts and give it a go (knowing that you're there as backup if need be!). If you ever come to Australia, I'll owe you several beers.

Cheers

Davo

·
Administrator
18,113 Posts
You are most welcome, and if I ever get to Australia, I'll have a Pint or two with you!
"Bass" or "Old Peculiar" will do nicely, but if not available, I'll have whatever you're drinking.

Yes, re-assembly is often a 3 handed operation. If you can get someone to hold down the Firing Pin Lock assembly while you drive the rear sight over them, so much the better. Try to do it in a fairly clean area, just in case of un-intended "parts launch".

Also, if that Rear Sight Retention Pin is a Roll Pin, replace it with a properly sized new one. A new Roll Pin can be properly sized by trimming with a Dremel Cutoff wheel. Use a properly sized Roll Pin Punch for installation. A Hardware Store that also serves as a Machine-Shop/Industrial Supply should have Roll Pins and Punches.

If you are dealing with a Solid Pin, Loc-Tite and Dimpling the Pin ends when installed with a sharp punch, should help keep things together.

Best of Luck!
John
jwc007

1 - 6 of 6 Posts