Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping there are some Taurus pro's out there to give some guidance. I have a PT99, 1990 vintage that is hitting extremely low and right. The right isn't anything alarning but the low is about 18 inches low at 10 yards. Is it possible that the locking block can be worn enough to cause this? It's fairly loose in the barrel lug- but I have zero experience in locking block issues- anyone had this kind of problem?

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
How long have you owned the gun? Did it shot low when you took possession? How many rounds have you put through it? When I first got my 92 I shot low & right shooting right handed but was pretty much on target shooting left handed. I could one hole it when shooting from sand bags. Prior to my 92, most of my experience was with double action handguns. I had to relearn on the 92. The chart below helped a bunch as did snap caps to learn my new trigger.
TargetGuide.jpg

Reactions: taurustoter

·
Registered
14,099 Posts
Don't fret over it, the PT92 line of pistols is probably the most often the greatest model for brain busting, eye adjusting, can't aim it, shoots low and left, shoots high and right or any combination there of.

You just received some great information in the first reply to your question. I'll add to that, don't get frustrated, take your time to learn the weapon and adjust your shooting habits....cause I guarantee that the 92 will not adjust to yours. There is nothing wrong with safely setting down the weapon and stepping back to clear your mind. Once you do learn it's habits, sights, and abilities you will fall in love with your PT-92.

Congratulations on your choice.

·
Registered
8,801 Posts
Presume you've adjust rear sight for elevation and windage. I'd shoot from solid rest and see how it goes. Doubt problem is locking block, but you could always order one to see if that resolves problem and keep as spare if not.

Welcome to the forum.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Super Moderator
40,640 Posts
Hoping there are some Taurus pro's out there to give some guidance. I have a PT99, 1990 vintage that is hitting extremely low and right. The right isn't anything alarning but the low is about 18 inches low at 10 yards. Is it possible that the locking block can be worn enough to cause this? It's fairly loose in the barrel lug- but I have zero experience in locking block issues- anyone had this kind of problem?
Don't take this as an insult, we don't know you or your abilities so these are things we need to ask to help get a clear picture.
How long have you owned the PT-99?
If you owned it for a while is this a new problem or has it always been this way?
If it is a new to you gun have you used a rest and what sight picture are you using?
Are you moving the elevation screw the right direction?
Is the roll pin that holds the front of the rear sight in place there or missing?

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
36,797 Posts
Anything is possible!
Is it possible that you are right handed shooter??
is it possible that you are pulling and torguing the weapon down and to the right with your trigger pull?
how much trigger finger you getting on the trigger?

·
Registered
17,459 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on owning a PT99 (I own two and love them).

First of all, try shooting it from a solid bench rest or sand bags and see how it does. If you still have the problem, check that rear sight for anything like the elevation screw being loose (or worse, missing).

I had problems with my PT709 shooting low and left, and everyone was telling me it was the way I held it, or the way I squeezed the trigger, or that I was flinching, yadda, yadda, yadda. All good sound advice but it was funny that I'd been shooting well over 55 years and it was the only pistol I own that consistently shot low and left and it didn't matter if I used a bench rest at 10 feet, it was still shot low and left.

I eventually had to shim up the rear sight and modify the mounting holes to and move it as far to the right as the adjustment would allow to get it on target. I have several PT92/99/ a PT100, and a PT 917, and they all shoot pretty close out to 25 yards, but the 709 was a problem. Luckily, if I ever have to use it, the sights won't come into play because it will be at "point & shoot" range.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I'll try to hit everything in one post. It's not a technique- shooter problem. Everything else I shoot stays within what anyone would call reasonable accuracy. Sigs, HK's, Beretta, Glock's in various calibers including a PT92. It's just this PT99 that goes against the grain.

This was purchased used quite a while ago and just sat in the back safe for also quite a while. The round count is unknown. Rails, rifling and such seem to be in very good condition- the locking block is the only thing that seems to be questionable. But then again, it could be perfect as I just don't have anything to compare it to.

I did not try to adjust the sights since it was such an extreme difference in point of aim and point of impact. I regard sight adjustment as something that is kind of fine tuning. As in different loads, brands and bullet weights sometimes fly a little differently and need that fine tuning. Running them enough to bring in more than that seems to be masking a bigger problem.

Two boxes of new ammo were put through it, PPU and UMC both 115gr, plus a couple dozen or so 124 gr lead reloads- all grouped in the same general area.

This is the 2nd PT99 I've owned. The first shot great and was always a favorite. I'm kind of a fan of these Tauruses. At least the ones other than mine. Just kidding- humor intended.

I question the locking block because of the way the top of the barrel butts against the face of the slide. If indeed the locking block is worn it appears the barrel would tilt downward until it took the slack out of the locking block and channel portion of the barrel. Then the question of whether that barrel channel is also worn comes to mind.

Was hoping someone might have had a similar experience and thus make it simple. It may be that the simplest thing to do is send it to Taurus since the cost of anything more than a locking block would be more than shipping it for warranty. I have sent a couple in the past and had one very good experience and one not so good- so I'm asking questions first.

·
Super Moderator
40,640 Posts
I would look at the rear site adjustment first since you do not know the history. Move it all the way up or down, then count the number of clicks to the extreme other direction. Then move it back half the clicks and try again. Also check and make sure the rear site roll pin is not missing, if it is the sight will eventually fall off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oh- and since Fishingkeylargo mentioned it I should add that absolutely no insult taken- appreciative of anyone whom takes time to respond

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
The locking block has absolutely nothing to do with the barrel angle. Its purpose is to stop the barrels rearward travel.
The locking block is up (unlocked) not affecting the barrel angle until after the gun is fired when it drops the rear end to stop the barrel movement.
I would suggest checking for a bent barrel with a straightedge.
While you have the gun apart, place the barrel/locking block assembly back in the receiver and move it back and forth slightly to see just how works.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Jeeper1 I was thinking the block lugs made contact the slide while in battery but now I see they don't. I didn't take enough time to look that over.

·
Registered
8,801 Posts
This is a Beretta operational 92, but same principle.

Attachments

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,245 Posts
I would look at the rear site adjustment first since you do not know the history. Move it all the way up or down, then count the number of clicks to the extreme other direction. Then move it back half the clicks and try again. Also check and make sure the rear site roll pin is not missing, if it is the sight will eventually fall off.
I have a PT 99 that the rear sight elevation screw moves with each shot, sometimes 1/4 turn, until the threads are no longer engaged with the slide. I have actually install a different sight, and have come to the conclusion that the threads in the slide are not holding the sight elevation screw. There are serrations in the screw and a pin that sits against said serrations, but I still have movement, I found the problem by marking the screw and the sight and then checking after each shot.

I am in search of another slide in order to further my troubleshooting. Another thought came to mind as I type, the spring under the rear sight may have lost tension and is not pushing up on the sight enough to keep tension on the screw. Back to the drawing board.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
I can't imagine the locking block effecting the bullet impacts OP. If anything, I would say it would effect how your gun operates mechanically. The locking block on my 99 is a "little" loose, but not to the extent that you seem to be having.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update!

Took a little while to get back to my PT99 but wanted to post the results in case it might help someone else.

Spoke with Taurus customer service- which was a story in perseverance in itself. Sat on hold for 30 minutes plus several times. My available time running out before getting through- but finally did get to speak with someone.

Taurus has implemented a new policy for accuracy complaints. They require $50 up front which is refunded if they replace any parts- and not refunded if they deem the firearm to have no problems. After pushing a little but to get one of the armorers involved in the conversation I was told that groups were the basic determining factor for accuracy. Mine was shooting acceptable groups- and thus it seemed to me that the point of aim and point of impact difference was not going to matter. I didn't want to chance the $50 plus shipping when thinking of how far that would go toward buying another barrel. Also 12 week turn around plus my shipping costs to get it there even if they did replace something and refund the 50.

So- I found a new Beretta barrel reasonably priced and dropped it in. With the rear site put in the middle of its adjustment range it needed no adjustment at 15 yards. The elevation had to be turned down slightly from approximate center and it now shoots the way I hoped it would. Several rounds of Monarch new ammo, some factory but few years old Winchester and couple hand fulls of reloads all within reason of point of aim. Aside from the fast/ sloppy shots, most stayed in or just barely missed the heart of Cheerios box - which is about as good as my shooting ever is. Thank you to all whom responded.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,245 Posts
:thumb:

I've been known to substitute a beretta barrel to achieve a tighter group.

·
Registered
36,797 Posts
I have never considered my PT99 to be a target grade weapon, it ill not shoot with my Tanfoglio Elite match, CZ Shadow -2, several of my 1911 and actually most of my other CZ pistols.
course I didn't buy it as a target grade weapon.
it does now and has always filled its use as a very good reliable self defense weapon , its now well past 10 -K rounds and continues to serve its purpose since being bought in 1987.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts