Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My PT945 has been a great gun, the only issue is that the mag release button is too easy to push. Sometimes this causes the mag to release while in the holster. Any suggestions on how to solve this problem?

Thanks

Don

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
damn.. do mag catch/lease springs really wear out? i mean they see relatively slow use compared to other springs.

i doubt it's wore out but you could find a stiffer spring that would fit it for a replacement.
i dont think any one would sell the spring specifically for that but you could always find generic springs and cut them in length if needed.

where is a good place to buy a spring? i have no clue.. im thinking hardware store maybe.

the other option would be to file down the mag release so it does'nt stick out as much but thats a little more difficult to undo.

·
Administrator
18,467 Posts
Hardware Store? Not very likely, unless it is one of those Industrial Supply Hardware Stores. And even then, they would only probably have a generic spring you would have to trim.

It is possible the Spring has lost it's tensile strength for some reason. Remove the Magazine Release Assembly from the Frame and inspect it for wear or damage. Replace any suspect parts with the appropriate parts from Taurus. The Pin in the trigger guard in front of the Magazine Release, retains the whole assembly. The Taurus Manual shows how to remove it for side-switching.

If you are not comfortable doing that, send your Pistol off to Taurus for repair, or seek the services of a competent Gunsmith, familiar with the design.

The Magazine Releases on all of my PT900 Series Pistols have been fine over the years and have not worn out at all, so this is not normal! Even my well worn PT92's magazine release is still good. If any of them were to wear out, it would be that one, as many miles as I've put on it!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good answers so far. I am comfortable with working on my own gun. I will take the latch apart, and keep the idea of a stronger spring in mind. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
i did say i was'nt sure if a hardware store would carry them but i would not be surprised.

i believe i already stated if you want a stiffer spring it would have to be generic and have to be cut did'nt I? or did you skim that part?

you will not find a stiffer after market mag release spring for probably any taurus gun.. after market parts are extremely rare for taurus guns period.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Joe. I agree about the generic spring. I think there is a good chance I can find one that will work. I was thinking about a stronger spring when I made the post, but I just wanted to make sure there was not some other solution that I did not know about.

BTW. I have several other brands. Colt, SA, S&W, Ruger...more than one on most cases, and my PT945 has held it's own (or better) for reliability. Just this one issue to date.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
oh lol that last post was talking to JWC who mostly repeated what i had already said was just timing that you posted right as i was typing that up.. i was'nt trying to drill that suggestion into your head or anything.

·
Administrator
18,467 Posts
We have one local Industrial Supply Hardware Store locally that seems to have most everything and even some small springs. Your average Dept. Store hardware store (Ace for example) is not likely to have such things. The one we have locally, is very poorly stocked for such things. They do have some metric screws and fittings, but that will be about all of the fine parts.

Trimming a very small spring is tricky and can be an issue for some with low patience and skill levels, so I thought it beared repeating. I would use a Dremel Cutoff wheel for the task.

I prefer to use Factory Standard Parts if possible, but there is nothing wrong with improvisation, if necessary and done well!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts