Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently bought a PT945 in stainless on consignment from a local range/gun store. Quickly found out why the previous owner chose no to sell face to face. The mags, all 3 of them, drop out nearly every shot.

The gun came with 3 mags, 2 labeled 'PT945 CAL. 45ACP-MADE IN BRAZIL' which I assume to be the stock mags, and 1 labeled 'CAL 45 ACP MADE IN BRAZIL' which I assume to be a genuine Taurus extra mag. The only visible difference is that the extra mag has a red follower.

Taurus CS says the mag release is a restricted part (what!) and so it will have to be sent in for repair, with shipping cost several times what the release should cost me.

I did a little reading and tweaked the mags a little with needle nose pliers in the catch hole. One stock mag (1) I left alone, on the extra mag (red) I pulled the lip out an almost imperceptible amount, and on the 2nd stock mag (2) I pulled out just a little further...to far at first as it then refused to release at all when that lip caught on the frame when ejected. I did get it out and pushed the lip back in just a hair.
Range test.
Mag 1 drops out every shot
Mag 2 drops each shot also

The extra mag (red) holds better, but is not 100%. I think the best I got was 5 shots before release. This mag also shows more wear of the paint...because it is a fraction larger? Or because the previous owner used this mag more due to the same issue?

Anyway, I really like the look of this gun, it really is pretty and I could like it to be my carry gun when not deep concealing, but I obviously cant trust it to let me get off more than one shot. It shoots more accurately than either my Sigma .40 or LC9 due to the SA trigger, and did I mention it is just pretty?

I am left handed, but took great care not to hit the release when firing, going as far as shooting right handed positioning the fingers well away from the button, and also installed a Hogue grip cover to perhaps space the fingers further away from the release. Nothing working.

So, help me save the $50 Miami vacation for it, what else could I try?

· Administrator
19,777 Posts
Unless you can get the part from another source, don't know what else you can do. Sounds like the spring in it is bad.

· Registered
33 Posts
Greetings,

Was this resolved and if so how??

I has same issues but was able to get mag releases from Taurus. Unfortunately they were not machined
to accept the pin that verticall locks it in place.

Took it to a local gunsmith but found another problem - Broken Firing Pin. Taurus would not
sellhim one so it went to Miami amd am waiting return.

Any info helps.

Thanks!

Fred

Recently bought a PT945 in stainless on consignment from a local range/gun store. Quickly found out why the previous owner chose no to sell face to face. The mags, all 3 of them, drop out nearly every shot.

The gun came with 3 mags, 2 labeled 'PT945 CAL. 45ACP-MADE IN BRAZIL' which I assume to be the stock mags, and 1 labeled 'CAL 45 ACP MADE IN BRAZIL' which I assume to be a genuine Taurus extra mag. The only visible difference is that the extra mag has a red follower.

Taurus CS says the mag release is a restricted part (what!) and so it will have to be sent in for repair, with shipping cost several times what the release should cost me.

I did a little reading and tweaked the mags a little with needle nose pliers in the catch hole. One stock mag (1) I left alone, on the extra mag (red) I pulled the lip out an almost imperceptible amount, and on the 2nd stock mag (2) I pulled out just a little further...to far at first as it then refused to release at all when that lip caught on the frame when ejected. I did get it out and pushed the lip back in just a hair.
Range test.
Mag 1 drops out every shot
Mag 2 drops each shot also

The extra mag (red) holds better, but is not 100%. I think the best I got was 5 shots before release. This mag also shows more wear of the paint...because it is a fraction larger? Or because the previous owner used this mag more due to the same issue?

Anyway, I really like the look of this gun, it really is pretty and I could like it to be my carry gun when not deep concealing, but I obviously cant trust it to let me get off more than one shot. It shoots more accurately than either my Sigma .40 or LC9 due to the SA trigger, and did I mention it is just pretty?

I am left handed, but took great care not to hit the release when firing, going as far as shooting right handed positioning the fingers well away from the button, and also installed a Hogue grip cover to perhaps space the fingers further away from the release. Nothing working.

So, help me save the $50 Miami vacation for it, what else could I try?

· Administrator
19,777 Posts
Was this resolved and if so how??

I has same issues but was able to get mag releases from Taurus. Unfortunately they were not machined
to accept the pin that verticall locks it in place.

Took it to a local gunsmith but found another problem - Broken Firing Pin. Taurus would not
sellhim one so it went to Miami amd am waiting return.

Any info helps.

Thanks!

Fred
You are most Welcome, Fred!
As the original poster has not reported back, we do not know what progress has been made, if any.

I recommend, that since your PT945 has gone back to Taurus for Firing Pin repair, have them fix the Magazine Latch while it is there.
Call them ASAP on this.

· Registered
9,222 Posts
I just tweaked the mag slot on my magazines, the one that came with the pistol was the origina the other I bought new from Gander and I had to do less of a tweak than the first mag, but I didn't want to bother sending mine on the trip. It's worked fine for me thus far, but the mag catch inside the pistol seems to wear down fast on those and lacks the take down ability that the 92 series does.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.