Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a PT945 recently and I find it to be an awesome gun.It seems to have the best of a few worlds.....looks like a Sig,doesn't jam w/ any ammo(so far)easy take down(like a PT99)great 3 dot sights,good price...so why don't more people know about this gun?All we hear is 24/7 this,145 that....is this gun getting lost in the fray?

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Kind of like the Sig 220... in today's world a single stack 45 gets over-shadowed. I suspect that from the release of the new 890 there will be a hybrid... the 900 series slide with a double stack polymer frame... so I'm guessing that an 845 is on the drawing board.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Exactly. I own a PT945 and have asked the same question. I own many other brands and types, but my PT945 has simply been one of the best & most reliable guns I have ever owned. Maybe as said above, just over-shadowed by double stack designs. I think the PT945 is an underrated gun. Sometimes I read someone say they would like to have a .45ACP with manual safety, de-cocker, firing pin block, light weight, 4.25" barrel, double/single action, easy take down, accurate & reliable. I just smile and think....hey I already own one of those.

Did I mention I have put every kind of ammo through my PT945. Everything from Wolf, Silver Bear, PMC, American Eagle, WWB, to more expensive Speer, Federal, +p, non +p, etc. Just shoots it all with no complaints.

·
Registered
174 Posts
i passed up a very nice one all done up in polish and such at the gun show yesterday, it wasn't a case of i didn't want it, but a case of i could not find a legitamate need to purchase it. i need a compact first, and already have several reliable 8-10 shot auto's that would fill that guns role, in the day of 12+ auto's that are the same size and lighter, it just has a limited role.

·
Administrator
18,052 Posts
My PT945's been a very good handgun and has fed everything except Semi-Wadcutters, and I don't need it to, as I didn't buy it for Target Practice. It is a very nice CCW and light home defense pistol. I would call it under-appreciated. As Cimarron noted, a newer Poly Framed version is probably in the works, so Taurus is not actively promoting it as much as the others. According to my favorite Gunshop, PT945's sold, and continue to sell, very well around here, when available, so I suspect they may be more popular than is apparent. I asked them, yesterday, about it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Because pretty much the same gun with just a slightly wider grip will hold 10 + 1. The extra rounds are nice to have even if they will probably never get used.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I felt the same way about my PT940. It was a wonderful gun to shoot, but I'm into compacts these days. (And I say this as I just bought a PT917 - who said I was consistent?) Anyway I traded it in about a month ago. I just wasn't carrying it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I really want a PT945 in Stainless, but the only thing holding me back from buying one is the ammo capacity. I really want a .45ACP with a 10+1 capacity, but I don't really like the styling of the 24/7 or Mil Pro - they're not really "sexy" guns, ya know?

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I've never seen Pt945 in person...but it looks like the un has the same controls as PT92/99

does the gun also have the same locking mechanism as PT92/ beretta 92FS?

·
Administrator
18,052 Posts
Gray_Wolf said:
I've never seen Pt945 in person...but it looks like the un has the same controls as PT92/99

does the gun also have the same locking mechanism as PT92/ beretta 92FS?
The Locking Mechanism for the PT945 is a Browning Style Short Recoil Tilt Barrel system as is used on the SigArms P220.

Taurus PT945

As for the PT945's magazine limited capacity of only 8 rounds, one can also carry spare magazines, should one feel the need for more ammo. Should Taurus come out with a poly framed replacement, as has been predicted, it may be of a higher capacity and may use the higher capacity 12 round .45 PT24/7 magazines.

The nice thing about the PT945's Single Stack Grip and Magazines are that they are nicely flat and more concealable for a CCW, which I appreciate.

·
32,616 Posts
Double stack mags on in a gun model or for extra ammo just make things a bit harder to conceal. More ammo is nice. But most are only going to need a extra one or two mags anyway before the fight is over.

·
Administrator
18,052 Posts
kansas_plainsman said:
The 809 looks like the poly framed gun you're talking about. Pretty slick in my opinion.
The 809 is the Poly Framed 9mm replacement for the discontinued PT909. It has been speculated here that a logical extension would be a .45 Caliber version.

·
Registered
984 Posts
if you're a lefty don't go near the 945. The ergonomics stink.
Found that out the hard way.
Otherwise, hell of a gun.

AFS

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Odd....I am a lefty and have no issues..what exactly are your problems w/ it?Just curious.....

·
Registered
984 Posts
couldn't reverse the safety or the mag release.
My trigger finger would hit the mag release as I fired. That was sort of embarassing.
Tried the rose grips and everything else I could think of.
Traded it for a SA 1911 Loaded.

AFS

·
Administrator
18,052 Posts
The Manual Safety on PT945's are ambidextrous and have always been so. Reversing the Magazine Latch is done by driving out, and back in, the Frame Magazine Latch Retention Pin, which is located in front of the Magazine Latch on the Frame inside the Trigger Guard.

On the minus side for lefties is that Brass sometimes ejects to the face! Also being a lightweight .45, they can be a handfull to shoot, depending upon the load. Not my favorite .45 to shoot, but my Favorite .45 to carry.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts