Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently bought a PT938. I love the gun, it shoots dead on and is a nice size for my girlfriend to shoot. I have one concern though. There seems to be a lot of play (creep, walk, etc.) in the trigger on single action. Is this normal or does it deserve a check? The trigger starts in the same position either with DA or SA. I thought the trigger would move closer for SA.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: PT938 Trigger question

why do i feel like I'm the only one who has ever owned one of these guns?

·
Registered
19 Posts

Volvit, is the 938 the hicap 380? I haven't ever seen one, but I would guess by the model # it shares the frame/trigger with the PT908,911 etc. Maybe someone here has some experience cleaning up the trigger pull on one of these.

·
Registered
48 Posts

why do i feel like I'm the only one who has ever owned one of these guns?
Volvit, I felt the same way until I read your post. I think the PT-938 is one of the best kept secrets in .380 ACP :-X

I only paid $300 NIB for it a year ago. If I could find another I would pick one up in a heartbeat. I use mine for daily winter carry. Why? 100% reliable. Easy to take down. And I am more accurate with it than any of my other pistols.

There seems to be a lot of play (creep, walk, etc.) in the trigger on single action. Is this normal or does it deserve a check? The trigger starts in the same position either with DA or SA.
I think it deserves a check. This issue doesn't seem normal as my trigger does move back in SA. I love the trigger on my PT-938. With very little recoil, follow-up shots are a breeze and it is just a terrific gun to shoot.

My only complaint is that I can't get my hands on any of the 15 round mags that are made for this pistol. They've been on backorder from Taurus since February. Don't know if I'll ever see them :mad:

If anyone knows where I can find some elsewhere please post!

·
32,527 Posts

Triggers on DAO type pistols have long trigger pull throughs. Nature of the beast. Taking up the slack in these type triggers takes getting used to. Much different than firing traditional DA/SA pistols or revolvers altogether.
This might explain things a bit better.

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=3233.msg24392#msg24392
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=3244.msg24386#msg24386
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=2418.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=3349.msg25407#msg25407

·
32,527 Posts

There is a good case for the .380 ACP as a defense cartridge.
Better than the .32 ACP and smaller cartridges, the .380 ACP has the balance of light recoil and is effective with the right loads as a defense cartridge going for it.

There are those who do not want to carry a revolver and want the cartridge capacity of the pistol. Yet want light recoil and decent protection. Short recovery time between shots over the more powerful cartridges is also a bonus.
There's the story about the jeweler who has 11 Rossi revolvers around his business for protection and used them for that. Now put that same equivalent in a pistol format and that's what you have with the .380 Taurus pistols. Just in one package.

Taurus, Bersas, CZ 83s,Beretta 84,85,86 series, Walther, and the others all have this.

As much that is made over deep penetration and caliber size , these are not the only requirements for defense. The .380 ACP has done that on many occasions as well with the other ballisitic factors included.

Real world records show the .380 ACP does it's job well.

One can use anecdotal evidence or other means to show failure to stop. This can be done for even the larger bores.Police and tacatical journals, as well as other periodicals document these stories with great regularity.

Newer generations of JHPs in all the calibers have been designed to penetrate deeper,stay in one piece, retain bllet weight, and expand or deform at very low velocities. 670 fps and a little higher. That slow enough for you folks?
Actually the .32 ACP bullets has benefited from the same technology as the other calibers, but I digress.

There are those who have trouble shooting the more powerful cartridges do to physical reasons or those who do not like the muzzle blast or more recoil of the larger or more powerful rounds.

Don't have to be old to be in this category. Can be any age. Can affect anyone at any age.
For some,the .22lrf is all they can handle or have the ability to handle. Looking down on these folks is ethically and morally wrong.

So what ever cartridge one is limited to or can handle, my hat is off to them.

Bigger and more powerfull is nice. No argument there.

Then there is a niche where that is not possible,desireable, needed, or wanted. One has to go with what they know and can handle.
Happy trails folks.We're all in this together. :) ;) 8)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Qwiks draw said:
Triggers on DAO type pistols have long trigger pull throughs. Nature of the beast. Taking up the slack in these type triggers takes getting used to. Much different than firing traditional DA/SA pistols or revolvers altogether.
This might explain things a bit better.
Agreed, I had the pt140 and it took a while getting used to. But the PT938 is not DAO.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Just to make sure I should send it to Taurus. Here is a vid of what I'm talking about. So should I go through the agony of sending it off or what?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hey Volvit,

Checked out your video. I like the stainless! Mine is blued. I like that too though :p

Based on the video, I didn't see anything out of the ordinary on your pistol. I duplicated the same actions on mine and my trigger seems normal. I actually really like the trigger on the PT-938. For whatever reason, I am more accurate with this pistol than any other centerfire pistol that I own (although I just picked up a Walther P-99 that may give it some competition) and trigger control is a big part of that!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Based on what I saw in your video, yes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts