Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, here's the situation. I brought my PT92 to my gun shop (just bought new yesterday). Unfortunatly, since I took possesion of it "it's mine". The owner inpected it (she ordered it for me and didn't have a chance to look it over and I was overly excited to take it home. Lesson learned) and agreed that the sight was way off, the frame was a bit improperly machined at the very rear and she discovered that the barrel was more left instead of centered with the frame (meaning, more space on right, none on the left, but it didn't appear to be rubbing on the barrel). Without question or hesitation she gave me a receipt and said that she would be shipping it out promptly today. She said that it should be back in a month (we shall see, today is the 24th of January).

While I'm dissapointed, I'm not really all that upset. To date I own six Taurus guns and two more that I have sold. So including the PT92, that would make nine to come into my possesion. Out of all the PT92 is the only one of questionble fit and finish. Actually not a bad track record.

Well, I'll keep you posted on the progress

·
Registered
579 Posts
That is a bummer. I wish you luck.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
powerkicker said:
Did you see if it shot to point of aim before you sent it back?
I did not. I'm hopeful that they will do that at the factory.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Sorry to here about that... :'(
Sounds like a great track record with the others you own..
Hope all goes well..

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dbsoundguy said:
Sorry to here about that... :'(
Sounds like a great track record with the others you own..
Hope all goes well..
Thanks, I'm not really worried. After hearing all the truths and BS (over the past two years) about Taurus CS. I'm just going to just have a wait and see attitude. Either way, I'm still a happy Taurus owner.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
the part about the barrel its odd you mention it because both my taurus and my beretta both have the barrel which leans to the right, that is to say near the muzzle end of the gun the barrel actually is to the right, you sound like you have the reverse where yours is to the left, i figure its just the way they are cause both the taurus and beretta i own are like this.

it might be the locking block as i have heard when the nubs where out on locking blocks the barrel can become loose..

my beretta lock up like a steel trap, but the taurus does wiggle although only slightly..

my pos cameras batteries are dead so i'll come back and attach a picture in a little bit.

EDIT: i tried but i just could'nt get a good shot.. they kept coming out blury even with the macro setting..
the gap is so small i had to get really close which just makes everything blury.

after 20mins i gave up.

anyway the best way to see what im talking about was looking at the gun from the front
*i strongly suggest never looking down the barrel directly but rather at say a 45degree angle, make sure gun is unloaded first, you'll need to have the slide forward also to see*

my barrel actually is to the right with a larger gap on the left side (if you was aiming the gun, reverse left/right if are looking at the gun muzzle end first)

accuracy seems to be fine though perhaps there is something wrong with both my 92's and did'nt realize the taurus was new but the berretta is used next time im at a shop i'll ask to look at a few.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well Joe, maybe it is nothing. I'll find out (hopefully) when the gun comes back from Taurus. If the gun comes back the same way as I sent it, I may just get a bore sight laser an see if it is accurate.

I know you and I have spoken about this before, but today I got another chance to hold a Beretta 92. I gotta say that the PT92 does feel much better in my hands. Could it be possible that Taurus is using a slimmer (plastic) grip like with the PT1911?

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
ya well i still think you had a bad cut on the back of your slide.. but im interested in the barrel thing now cause both my guns are like that and ones a beretta.

actually yes i do think taurus uses thinner plastic grips.. they're flimsy to.. once you get it back i suggest getting some replacements unless they feel ok with you.. mine felt like they was cutting into my hand so i got some pachmayr warparounds with finger groove however hogue makes a mean soft rubber side pannels also.

please do report back when it comes back from taurus, the barrel thing has me a tad paranoid now.

not because yours leaned to the side as well.. but that it did'nt lean to the right like both of mine.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
joe sixpack said:
ya well i still think you had a bad cut on the back of your slide.. but im interested in the barrel thing now cause both my guns are like that and ones a beretta.

actually yes i do think taurus uses thinner plastic grips.. they're flimsy to.. once you get it back i suggest getting some replacements unless they feel ok with you.. mine felt like they was cutting into my hand so i got some pachmayr warparounds with finger groove however hogue makes a mean soft rubber side pannels also.

please do report back when it comes back from taurus, the barrel thing has me a tad paranoid now.

not because yours leaned to the side as well.. but that it did'nt lean to the right like both of mine.
I'll look into the hogue side panels if they are thin enough.

Ok, just for the record. Are we speaking about the same direction? Mine leaned to the left , view point from rear sight to front sight. Just in case there was any confusion (and I didn't mean to cause you any worry). Also, if your gun shoots without rubbing against the slide, then shouldn't it be alright? I mean, are you getting any heavy wear marks on any particular side?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Sorry to hear about the bad luck...I have only one Taurus and it iss the PT 24/7 Pro .40 I'm going to get the 9 and the 45. Again good luck

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
well my taurus has some marks.. however it actualy came from the factory with a few.. so i can't tell if there is any new..

the taurus is stainless so it might not show marks as easily as a black one.
my beretta is also a stainless (inox) however it does have a coating finish, but still no marks.

my beretta however which i bought used has no marks.
there will be wear marks naturally though.

yes i am talking about as you follow the barrel from teh chamber to the muzzle end (as if you're aiming it) the barrel is not perfectly straight in the slide you can see it graduatly meet up with the right side of the slide, it's easiest to see this in the front where it pushes threw old in teh slide.

i do know some models like the beretta stock have a retainer which forces the barrel and slide to meet up tight.. it's like a nut on the end of the barrel.

and i also know you can get slightly oversize barrels to take up the slack space.

however i just assumed that was because the barrel is not attached to the frame..
it might be to avoid this sort of thing.

but yes yours leans to the left mine to the right..
perhaps it's just the design of the gun that give it this tolerances.

or perhaps we have 2 bad taurus and a bad beretta..

mine are both accurate but never shot beyond 25yards.. so.. ya i dunno.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
update 2/7/08

Gave Taurus a call today to see if they received my 92. It was logged in on 1/31/08. No work done on it yet. I'll check back in a week or two.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
*Update*
Well, I called Taurus last Wed the 23rd for an update on my 92. They said that it was not going to be repaired, but instead a new slide had to be ordered. They did not currently have any in stock, so the order could take up to two weeks, plus another for shipping. So basically Taurus has had my 92 since January 31 and got to it around the end of March (repair backlog, I understand this). This Thursday will make 3 months.

Will post when (if) 92 is received ;D

Mike

PS- I'm glad I have my Beretta M9 to carry me over :D

·
Registered
73 Posts
That's some pretty serious patience you're displaying there, probably more than I'm capable of. Of course, it's always easier when you have other weapons at your disposal. It's stories like this that make me feel guilty about the "rush" service that is supposedly on my M44. I even told the rep that I wasn't in a huge hurry and wasn't depending on the gun for protection.

Let's hope that slide comes in soon!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok folks, so here we are July 23 and still no PT92. I've called Taurus on and off for the last couple of weeks along with the FFL shop owner who sent it for me. We were both told that the gun was awaiting a new slide that would be shipping from Brazil... eventually. I asked them how long does it take to make a slide on a gun that's been manufactured for over 20 years? CS responded, I know, but it is on order. Now I'm patient, but now I've reached my limit. I think if the gun ever comes back I may consider selling it. I'm already contemplating selling my Pt1911ss.

January 31-July 23 and still counting.

Where is Richard when I need him :mad:?

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
WOW :eek:

schlemer---we know you're not a Taurus basher and I feel for you in this situation.

6 months is an inexcusable wait time for a repair on your firearm.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
NYPD said:
WOW :eek:

schlemer---we know you're not a Taurus basher and I feel for you in this situation.

6 months is an inexcusable wait time for a repair on your firearm.
Thanks NYPD, you're right. I'm no Taurus basher. I fight the good fight, but a repair is not the issue. It's a simple (or so I thought) matter of a slide replacement (not my words, but theirs). I was told by one CS rep, that it would take a couple of weeks, which of course turned into months. My dealer is beside herself, Being that she sent in my 92 along with a PT145 for another customer at the same time. Well he got his PT145 2 month ago and has long sold it for lack of QC (again, not my words, but his. I know the guy). Anyway, If I ever get it back, I let you know.

Mike

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
wow man you have been waiting entirely to long, i can not defends taurus CS when it comes to this kinda stuff, i hope they hurry up because this is inexcusable waiting period.

i might go as far as to start climbing the chain of command cause someone needs to explain this.

i called them last week asking about mag catches for a 92, they said they did'nt have any.. now they tell you they can't get ahold of some slides, is taurus really stretched so thin that they have no parts what so ever on hand for repairs?

why dont they either open up a 2nd plant in brazil, or better yet open up a plant in the US.

have'nt they grown big enough to expand? from what i understand they have had consistent record breaking years again and again.. so business is good for them is my understanding.

again i feel your pain and there is no excuse for this long a wait, i hope you get it back soon and it better be cherry!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts