Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, Nice forum here. I am new here and would like to ask about PT92's. I now they started life as a Beretta and then Taurus made mod's to were it is now. What I would like to know is how did it change over the years and what the fs, ar, af, etc. mean?

I have a PT92 AF it has an SPL on the box, it has a blue frame and barrel the slide and other parts in stainless. Look here fpr spec's.

http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?id=136&category=Pistol

The other day at a local store I saw the same gun but it has AFS on the slide.

Any info on this would be great.

Al

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Taurus has a link on their website that lets you enter your firearms serial number and get some info on it (when it works), also there is a phone number to call and get info in case the link doesn't work.

There is another link that gives the history of the PT92 and its models, but I can't seem to find it...ggrrr.

·
Registered
126 Posts
It's my understanding that the Brazil factory started life as a Beretta factory and Taurus bought the factory and machinery.

What I can personally tell you is that I own a 11 year old PT92 with over 10K rounds through it and it is a great, super reliable, accurate gun. I prefer the safety (frame mount) on mine over the new Taurus or Beretta slide mounts.

·
Administrator
17,914 Posts
As gk5 has stated, Beretta sold their Brazilian Factory to Taurus, and this was to take care of the Brazilian Military Contract. Taurus has improved/changed the design since. Only a few parts will interchange with the current designs.

The July 1992 vintage PT92AFS I have is a very reliable and accurate pistol with some 22,000 rounds thru it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I just traded mine, it was a great gun that ate everything I threw at it and never had an FTF or an FTE at all. maybe someday I will get another one.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
In ‘85 Taurus added a firing pin safety and widened the feed ramp to feed hollow points better in the PT92 and that’s what AF means. In ‘91 or 92 they added a de-cocker and I think they call it AF-D. AF- S means stainless slide barrel and matching alloy frame.

Beretta first made 92 SB. When they got M9 contract it became 92F with a few changes. In ‘88-’89 Beretta added a oversized hammer pin to prevent the slide from traveling back in case the slide brakes and it became 92FS model (<Taurus never did this)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Im currently thinking about trading my 24/7 Pro toward getting one of these guns. But want it in .40 S&W what do you guys think about that? Anybody think the 24/7 is worth trading for a 40 cal version of this gun the PT 101?

·
32,570 Posts
For any ney guys, the FAQ section has most of the history and other info there. There have been numerous threads asking about the 92. A search of the archives should be revealing.

·
32,570 Posts
Qwiks draw

Re: Taurus 99 v. beretta 92
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 10:42:39 AM » Quote Modify Remove Split Topic

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistics and data don't lie unless massaged. Taurus PT92s have been a staple in every Gun Digest Book of Combat Handgunnery and many police periodicals over the last few decades.They are on the recommended list for those who must purchase their own weapon as a LEO in certain jurisdictions. PT92s not only passed the demanding 20,000 or more round torture tests, but are loaner pistols at many accredited shooting schools for those whose pistols break during classes where 500 round or more are fired during the course of the class. Shooting school instructors have seen many PT92s come through their classes and not break,fail to fire,or fail to eject. Massad Ayoob and Chuck Karwan have documented all this as well as other gun trainers. Even Chuck Taylor gave 92s praise. If that isn't an endorsement by the professionals, what is? Participating in IDPA and other for fun competition I cannot say I have seen a 92 fail. THe owners have sometimes forgotten to seat a magazine all the way due to stress and even the old vets bobble under pressure from time to time. Have seen many 1911s have trouble of one kind or another.Mechanical things do break or parts wear out and need replacement. This doesn't mean that one should forsake 1911s either. Since there have been many threads in the past posted by 92 owners at the larger forums, though short, the threads seem show a hard core fan club out there and here. Rent one if possible and shoot it. Experience is an eye opener. Price is right and warranty can't be beat. Taurus set the standard for warranties in the industry as Steelheart has posted elsewhere. If you like the Beretta better go for it. Buying is about if the gun filling the niche you have. It must fit and be able to be used by you as well. This subject is also subjective and according to ones tastes as well. Can't see a problem with buying either brand. That is up to you. The above posted advice and opinions so far are dead on from other members.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts