Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I've finally decided to take the plunge and become a handgun owner. I have fired several hundred rounds through a couple different guns, and have decided on 9mm caliber

I have narrowed my selections to the pt92 or the 24/7. I'm looking for advice on which gun do you prefer and what is a good price to pay for each?

Thanks for the help; I appreciate any advice you can give me

·
Administrator
18,465 Posts
Carefully study the manual of arms (safety and trigger operation) of both pistols and decide which you prefer, from a Tactical Point of view! Also study the ways the Grip/Handle feels in your hands and decide which one feels and points best. Also, is this Pistol to be carried or not? If to be carried concealed, the smaller of the two will be the PT24/7. It is possible to carry concealed the PT92, but not everyone can.

I know this doesn't help, but I believe that you can't go wrong with either one.

That said, I do have a PT92 with 22,000 rounds thru it, with more to come, and it's performance has been stellar! The only downside to it's design is that the PT92's oscillating wedge locking system does require periodic replacement of it's locking block. The PT24/7 does not, due to it's Browning/Sig style short recoil system.

I've only shot/test fired PT24/7's (9mm and .45) from some of the members of our Pistol Club. I've not owned and extensivly shot one (or two) as yet, but it's on my list of things to do!

·
32,785 Posts
There are also other factors.

The model 92 has the hard 10-14 pounds of pull double action trigger for the first shot and after that a easy 6-8 pound trigger pull for each additional shot until the gun is decocked or completely emptied. Changing from the heavier DA mode over to the lighter single action mode takes practice,experience, and time to get used to. There are techniques for doing this. It can be done and is done so regularly. There are many brands of pistols similar in function to the 92.

24/7s have a long, light, but steady trigger pull for each shot. This is similar to shooting a revolver double action for each shot. Just an easier time pulling the trigger all the way through. This means consistant shot for shot trigger pull.

Since we do not know all the uses that you will be needing the handgun for it may be hard to give anything except some general advice. Are you going to shoot competition, have this for a house gun, or are you going to eventually carry a gun legally for defense?

Full size guns such as the 92 and full sized 24/7s are easier to learn the basics of shooting a handgun and maintaining proficiency with that firearm. So these may be a better starting point then getting a gun to learn with and then latter obtain a smaller gun for carry.

That all said it may be advantageous to start out learning the handgun basics with a .22lrf pistol or revolver instead of a centerfire handgun. Cheaper to operate and easier to learn with.

Speaking of revolvers, that may be a good recommendation. Manual of arms is easy to learn, more kinds of ammo can shot through them, no buttons ,slides and levers to manipulate or get in the way , and overall safety are advantegous of a good revolver.
Granted ammo capacity is only 5-8 rounds depending on the revolver model. But more ammo is not going tp make up for poor markmanship under stress or otherwise.

Oh, yes. Handgrips selection can be changed to fit your hand more so for the revolver. Semi-autos grips can be changed on some models for better fit. Just not as many though.

None of these " advantages" is totally for the revolver. Just things ot consider.

For example, I have both revolvers and semi-autos. Came up training on the rimfire revolver and then graduated to the centerfire guns.No reason one cannot start out on semi-autos.

The 9 millimeter is a good choice all around cartridge. Easy to control, cheap to shoot compared to other calibers, and gives a decent overall level of protection.
All the medium and large bore cartridges give a decent level of protection..38 Special on up that is.This has been documented many times.

I have the PT111 Mil/pro. This is a relative of the 24/7. Also have Ruger P95s.These two styles of trigger pull both demand different approaches to holding and firng them because one is double action only for purposes describes here, and the other is DA/SA trigger and has to be decocked each and every time for safety reasons with each use.
Whew. That's getting long winded. :) But these are things to consider before buying.

jwc007 knows of what he speaks. So will others chiming in on this. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will be using the gun for home defense and recreational range shooting, not CCW, so size isn't really a factor. Also, I have experience shooting (revolvers, semis, shotguns, rifles) and have just never owned a personal handgun before.

Thanks for your help guys, I really appreciate it

·
Registered
123 Posts
if this is your first gun i would get the largest calibur you can comfortably shoot. I would guess that would probably be a .45. There's nothing wrong with a 9mm but when you're talking stopping power I would go with the .45.

If you want to get something to play without on the range, that's what the 9mm is for. It's cheap to shoot and easy on the wrist.

Guns are expensive and you dont sound like you're ready to shell out a lot of $$ for multiple guns at the moment so I would get the best defense weapon you can. That means the largest caliber you can.

Personally I would get the 24/7 because it will be easier to conceal carry and has a higher capacity magazine if you get the double stack model. You may not be concerned bout conceal carry at this very moment, but trust me it only takes one traumatic event for you to reverse your opinion on that overnight.

The 92 is a fine fine gun. I'm buying one soon myself. You can't go wrong with that either.

If you want the best of both worlds (defense and economy) get a .45 24/7 (the 12+1) for defense and later get a 92 9mm to go out and play with cheaply.

·
32,785 Posts
Bud's gun shop is ok. www.cdnnsports.com and www.cheaperthandirt.com may also.

I was surprised that to see that most brands, makes, and models advertised at Cheaper Than Dirt. What they do is find the gun in your area, but do not sell the guns themselves.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My advice is to go grab a PT92 Stainless. I have one, and I love it. It's a great gun in so many ways...shoots great, 100% reliable, looks good, great grip/feel, easy takedown, better controls IMO than Beretta 92. It can be had for around $360 from http://www.budsgunshop.com

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the 24/7 is a great gun too. I had a PT111, but sold it because I didn't like the slack (or takeup) in the trigger and the straight 8 sights. The 24/7 shares these features. I'm sure there's nothing wrong with these two things. They're just not for me.

My PT92 was my first handgun purchase, and I like it better than my Springfield XD, Glock 26, and Sig P229.

The only drawbacks are that mags are hard to find and little pricey and holster selection seems a bit limited. My Galco Yaqui Paddle fits it like a champ though!

·
32,785 Posts

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
cary53, You said home defense, range gun. 9mm for the cheaper ammo. You're already a revolver guy. You'll probably prefer the exposed hammer with DA/SA. I'm sure you want the most reliable platform. And low maintenance.
I'm with Link. The solution is: PT 92SS. I wish I'd have gotten the S.S. model.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I own four 24/7 Pro's ;D-One .45 Two .40 and One 9mm. You want a good range gun and one that also doubles as home defense, then you want the 24/7. All of mine have been extremely reliable. Not one misfire of any type and that is after thousands of rounds through all of them but the .45, which I just bought this week. The 9mm did FTE once, but my wife was limp wristing. Once she learned the proper grip, never had a problem after that. I would also recommend the .45 since the gun is also going to do home defense duty. Their is nothing wrong with having a 9mm as a home defense weapon [especially since the 24/7 has a Mag capacity of 17!] Just use the proper ammo. The Remington 124gr +P Golden Saber is the way to go with the 4 inch barrel. The PT92 is too big and does not have the Mag capacity of the 24/7. The 24/7 was made to be a great defensive weapon and it is. Price is normally 399 for black and 419 for stainless slide in most areas.

http://www.taurususa.com/video/taurus-247tv.cfm

http://www.taurususa.com/video/taurus-corporate-video.cfm

The Best to You and Yours!

Frank

·
Registered
25 Posts
For me the deciding factor was ergonomics 100%. Go down to a store and feel them both. I can shoot a PT92 (and have alot) but the grip is just a touch too big.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Led Jedi!

The Remington Golden saber is self protection ammo. It is a Brass Jacketed hollow point. The +P version at 124 grains is an excellent self defense round for a 9mm caliber handgun with a four inch barrel. Expansion and penetration would be a little better with a 5 inch barrel. I really like the 24/7 --9mm because it has a 17 rd mag capacity, add one in the chamber and you have 18 rounds of ammo available in a self defense or home defense situation that is a nice thing to have. :thumb:

The Best to you and yours!

Frank

·
Registered
33 Posts
45ACP
Both the PT92 and the 24/7 have 17 round mags.
If you don't like Mec-Gar mags. You can get factory mags.

·
Registered
123 Posts
.45acp said:
The Remington Golden saber is self protection ammo. It is a Brass Jacketed hollow point. The +P version at 124 grains is an excellent self defense round for a 9mm caliber handgun with a four inch barrel. Expansion and penetration would be a little better with a 5 inch barrel. I really like the 24/7 --9mm because it has a 17 rd mag capacity, add one in the chamber and you have 18 rounds of ammo available in a self defense or home defense situation that is a nice thing to have. :thumb:

The Best to you and yours!

Frank
ahhh, your statement made it sound like that ammo was better for the 4 inch barrel vs the 5 inch barrel. That's what didn't add up. I'm sure it's good SD ammo overall.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.