Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I have a PT92 AFS with the safety and decocker. My issue is that my safety disengages very easily just a few ounces of pressure will disengage it. The issue is only when disengaging. While engaged, it seems to require the appropriate amount of force to decock or place into safe. Wearing it in a holster, riding with it in my glove box or even it just handling it roughly will disengage the safety. I assume it is missing a detent spring or the detent itself. Does anyone know what part number those are? I am have looked at exploded diagrams but its still unclear to me which part is which. If anyone has any other ideas of what it could be or how to fix the issue, please chime in. The gun functions as it should aside from this one issue. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I think part # 3.31 determines how hard the safety is to engage or disengage. You can see it if you look below the left side safety lever.
Make triple sure the gun is empty and hold the barrel pointed left with your left hand and move the right side safety lever while watching the spring action through the hole above the left grip and under the safety lever. Make sure the spring is undamaged and working properly. An FYI, my safety lever only requires about 3 or 4 lbs to go to the fire position.

·
Registered
17,405 Posts
Here are the two main parts of the safety besides the actual lever. The punch is holding down the plunger which is is spring loaded. If you remove the safety lever, don't let it fly out. It has a fairly long spring that goes down into the fame. (You can see it through the hole in the frame)

I'm not actually sure how much the safety spring effects the safety but don't lose it because Taurus won't sell you one. However, you can find them on eBay as part of a spare parts package at times. Numrich doesn't even list them. It is held in by the grip screw bushing.

If those parts are OK, you may have to drill out the detent in the safety lever just a little. I own two PT58ss and one of them has a safety that I think is too easily disengaged.

Good luck.

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
On both my 92 and 945, I can wipe the safety off without much effort at all. I personally think it's a combination of the moving of the safety to the lower instead of the slide, and the fact that you can generate much more force with your thumb pushing down than lifting up. Luckily the trigger pull is so long that the chance for an ND is extremely low.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 7.0 LTE using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
My safety spring broke when I pulled the grips off too replace them the bushing stuck to the screw ups and somehow it broke. They wouldn't send me the spring because it is safety related so I just went to the dealer and gave them the part number and they ordered it for me and Taurus sent me three at no charge any Taurus dealer should be able to help you with it,but your problem could be the spring under the detent. You could pull that spring out and stretch it a little and if that helps order another spring with the proper tension

1 - 6 of 6 Posts