Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a recently purchased new pt-92. I've had it for about a month now. Prior to today I had put 200 rounds through it. At the range I started having problems after about 100 rounds. At first I just thought some of the cheap rounds were failing to fire, no big deal. But after two or three rounds, eventually 4 or 5 IN A ROW were failing to fire. I checked the rounds and they all had strikes right in the middle of the primer. Eventually I just gave up because more than half of the rounds were failing to fire. I even tried switching ammo, but no difference. Any suggestions on what the problem is and what I need to do would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Did you purchase the gun new? What is the ammo? Have you cleaned the gun thoroughly?
I have a still new (under 500 rounds) PT 92. I've had one FTF. I keep a log book. It was at round # 60, or so. It was a "re-manufactured" ammo that the range sells. I since then only use nationally known ammo. I've had no failures of any kind with W.W.B., Speer Lawman, Speer GDHP, Cor-Bon, or Blaser Brass.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes the gun was new when I bought it. I cleaned it out of the box, then again after the first 200 rounds. The ammo was CCI Blazer, Magtech, PMC Bronze, all 115gr FMJ. But it was doing it with all the ammo so I'm pretty sure that isn't the cause of the problem. Before this problem I had never had a FTE or FTF.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Check the firing pin assembly in the slide and make sure there isn't some gunk stuck in there. It is a common problem that can happen with all brands of new or used firearms. Also what is the weather like when you were shooting? Outdoors and cold? If it is sticking it could be debris, bent pin, etc... Also, make sure the slide was fully in battery, if for some odd reason that slide didn't fully close, odd things can happen.

·
Administrator
18,578 Posts
One way of clearing gunk out of the slide firing pin area is to spray non-chlorinated Disc Brake cleaner down the Firing Pin hole and give it a good flushing. A lot of the excess spray will exit the extractor area along with the gunk. Give that a try and then go shooting! Have not noticed any ammo sensitivity on my PT92, which now has some 23,000 rounds thru it.

The ammunition brands you mention is all typically, very good stuff. You should have no problems with most ammo in the PT92!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts