Taurus Firearm Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

PT92 not ejecting correctly

9K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Czechbikr 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

First off, I would like to thank everyone in advance for your help- after looking through a few threads, I can see this is a very active and helpful community, and I don't doubt one bit that I will find the answers I'm looking for.

Anyway, onto the point. I've always loved M9-style handguns, so my uncle bought me a used PT92 AF as a graduation present last year. I've already shipped it back to Taurus once (got it back about two weeks ago) because the gun was frequently failing to eject and stovepiping at least once per magazine, and when it would eject the cartridge, it would be directly back toward my face. When I got the gun back, I looked over the maintenance notes. It said the chamber had expanded and the barrel assembly had been replaced, as well as a broken extractor, which had also been replaced. I was eager to get it out to the range after I got it back, but was extremely disappointed upon firing the gun. It no longer stovepipes, it will fully eject the spent cartridges, but it still ejects them directly back toward me.

I really, really want to love this gun- I'm fairly accurate with it, but it really takes the fun out of shooting when I'm flinching after every shot, anticipating the brass bouncing off my forehead. I have tried multiple types of ammo- RWS, Federal, CCI, Sellier & Bellot, Winchester, Remington, and most recently PMC Bronze. I've been adjusting my grip on the gun as well, and nothing seems to help.

If it matters, Taurus ran the gun's serial number and it has a manufacturing year of 1988. I don't know if there is any known issue with PT92s from that year or something, details seem to be scarce on the net.

See less See more
#2 ·
Mine ejects off to my right side but about head high landing just behind me. I've never had one hit me, though some have come close. I really wouldn't know how to correct it but I'm sure some one here though.

#3 ·
I'm with Joe. PT 92/99 have very few problems. May need another vacation, Cartoon Umbrella Recreation Boating Clip art
wouldn't be the first time something made multiple trips to Miami.
Didn't have a 1 or 2 o'clock wind at the range??? JAT

#4 ·
William,

The past few times I've taken it out, it's been a clear day with low wind. It's done this every time I've taken it out, unfortunately. May look into sending it back again. Thanks.

#5 ·
I have had Mine since 1990,always ejected straight up to my right,once in a while landing on my shoulder,never had a problem with it.expanded chamber and replaced extractor? that sounds like the previous owner shot some mighty hot handloads thru it.

#6 ·
A new firearm can be a lot like a marriage, as in sometimes it takes a little work to find harmony. Call Taurus tell them the situation and the fact that it was just returned from them. And being as such ask them to please cover the cost to ship it back for follow up inspection and service. Worse case is that they get it right this next trip, best case is they say they can't fix the problem and replace the pistol with a new model.

#7 ·
Usually that's caused by the extractor but since the extractor has been replaced already, try replacing the recoil spring. Probably needs a new one anyway considering it's age. If that doesn't work perhaps the ejector is worn and they didn't spot it. This happens in some examples of all guns and is not peculiar to Taurus. My TCP did that but once the extractor was replaced it was cured.

The recoil spring is an easy thing to try.

Usually replacing one of these things cures it. You just never know which one.

#8 ·
Ejectors can require some tuning, and it's the ejector that mostly controls where the brass is going. It has to hit the brass in the right spot, and at the right angle to eject properly. The extractor has a bearing on it too - if it's too loose it will cause erratic ejection. But my money is on the ejector. If you want to check your extractor tension, the following video will show you how. The vid is for a 1911, but the same principle holds for virtually any semi auto pistol...

#9 ·
9yrs late to this thread. had been researching on the pt92 weak ejection and came to this forum. wanted so much to buy a pt92 but i have seen a lot of youtube vids, pt92 ejections are kinda weak and all over the place. i wonder whats the fix for this. need to know before buying one.

#10 ·
If you read the thread then you know about as much as we do about the gun. There is an entire section on this Beretta clone that was produced by Taurus in Brazil under license from Beretta. Taurus bought the rights and the equipment at the time and began making the PT 92. Then the design became the designated service sidearm of the US armed forces. I have the PT92 AFS and love the pistol.

Welcome to the forum and if you have further questions about the pistol or any others, please feel free to start a thread in the appropriate forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.