Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a p92 (stainless) a few years ago. Shoots and looks great, but the gun does not shoot to any one place consistantly. If we talk about groups, they would be measured in feet... Probably 500 rounds thru it.

I had some others try it out to see if it was me, and they had the same experiance ( includes one Navy range instructor). My other taurus hand gun is very accurate (pt1911).

Anyone else with this experiance, or should I give CS a call ?

Bruce

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
I would call CS, that is unusual for a PT92 they are generally a very accurate design.

Reactions: leejack

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Gotta be somethin' broke. Yeah, make Taurus find it.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
This is worth contacting customer service. The PT92/99 series are known for their accuracy. Maybe there is something broken that is not apparent. Don't worry, Taurus will stand behind the gun and fix it so it shoots like it should.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
36,963 Posts
If you are an experienced shooter and you don't think the inaccuracy could be due to shooter error, and you feel the PT92 is off the mark as far as accuracy goes, I'd give the good folks at Taurus Warranty Service a call.

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
Did you buy the gun new or used? Are you having problems with elevation, windage, or both? Some Problems I can think of would be a sloppy slide or a worn out stop block. Or could the grooves in the barrel be worn down making it spit bullets like a Phil Niekro Nuckleball. If it is an older gun that has been shot a great number of times, it might be time to replace the Recoil Spring. Last but not least, weak ammo.

But then, I just pretend to be a gunsmith in my own garage!

·
Premium Member
17,743 Posts
If multiple experienced shooters have the same issue you've eliminated one of the three variables. You're down to the gun, or the ammunition.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for these questions. I bought the gun new, tried several types of 115 grain factory shells.

Problem with both windage and elevation.

I'm going to range one last time before I call CS

Bruce

Did you buy the gun new or used? Are you having problems with elevation, windage, or both? Some Problems I can think of would be a sloppy slide or a worn out stop block. Or could the grooves in the barrel be worn down making it spit bullets like a Phil Niekro Nuckleball. If it is an older gun that has been shot a great number of times, it might be time to replace the Recoil Spring. Last but not least, weak ammo.

But then, I just pretend to be a gunsmith in my own garage!

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
I agree with everyone else, unless you literally have never shot a gun before, then with a PT 92 you literally can't miss. Send her to Miami and let them figure it out.

·
Registered
38,432 Posts
well there could be something ill fitted with the weapon, also regardless of the model or manufacture it can suffer from the same effects of shooter error that any other gun does.
I saw a young lady loading the magazine of a beretta 92 with the ammunition facng rearward, so likely that would have caused a few problems in function !
you never can tell.
that being said the 92/99 being an all metal weapon is pretty hefty, it shoots a very light recoiling ammunition, has a very long sight radius and is a proven design ove decades, so normally they are a very forgiving weapon.

Reactions: leejack

·
Banned
17,345 Posts
OK, you take the pistol and clamp it down and shoot a group. Now it's accurate, enough said! Just saying.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Welcome to TA.
The PT 92 is probably one of Taurus finest and best handling weapon. It's very seldom that you hear of a issue, like I said seldom.

I don't want to make any judge mental statements. Have both the black and stainless PT92. I will assure you that the black gun is spot on when my wife fires it. She is all over the paper with the stainless model. I on the other hand have no issues with either of them. The stainless is a tad bit heavier and it seems to be slightly more so in the front, especially as the mags get lighter?

You could try having a friend or the range gunsmith try a few rounds and see what they say. If they confirm the weapon is at fault, Taurus will make it good. You will, have to pay for the plane ride to Florida for your 92.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Yeah that sucks. Might as well try to take it to them since I will be down in Miami end of month. But just annoying with the crappy aiming and rounds going not in the same location
Perhaps this is unnecessary on account of the gun being lifetime warranteed, but field strip it and take a look at the base of the barrel where the locking block fits in. I've seen a case where a Beretta 92FS didn't shoot worth a darn in the same way you described, and the owner discovered a crack at the base of the barrel in that spot.

·
Registered
21,536 Posts
I'm one of many in the forum who have shot 92s until the cows came home, and I have never fired one that wasn't "very" accurate.

That said, if all the variables have been ruled out, a call to Taurus is in order, because there is something wrong for sure.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.