Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys/
I just got my first Taurus handgun, a PT92. Just wondering if how the PT92 generally likes aftermarket mags? I'm sure CDNN or somebody will throw some on sale sometime...just want to know if there are any to avoid. I know I've wasted some $$ on Promag for my other guns in the past. Thanx.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yes they do, just so you know Baretta 92 mags will not fit the Taurus PT 92 unless you mod the mag realese on the Taurus. I'll have to look at my mags, I have a couple of 17 rounders from Taurus (they were free) and a bunch of 10 rounders.

·
Registered
301 Posts
WAR EAGLE!!!

You're a ways from home, aren't you? Welcome to the best little Taurus forum around.

Yes, aside from Taurus factory mags, Mecgar are the way to go. They may even make OEM mags for Taurus. Pro-Mags are spotty. Also watch out for the "no-name" mags from the discount sellers (Sportsmans Guide, Cheaper Than Dirt, etc), unless you want to practice clearing malfunctions ;).

EDIT- Re: worthirt_99's post; There are some mags out there by Triple-K that are supposed to fit both Beretta and Taurus 92 (the mag release cutouts are made to accomodate both pistols' magazine catches), but my experience was that they didn't do the job.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Yes, Mecgar is an OEM supplier to some companies. Beyond that, why spend money on something that may or may not work? I can see getting a cheap mag for range/practice use but wouldn't trust it for serious work (got several 1911 mags like that). Remember for your auto to be reliable it needs reliable magazines.

Steelheart

·
Administrator
18,116 Posts
I've had very good luck with MecGar, Sabbatti, and even the old USA brand PT92/99 magazines. Right now, if I had to buy magazines I would unhesitantly go with MecGar's.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. I agree MecGar makes some great stuff. I have never had a problem with them in anything that I shoot. Promag on the other hand, ugh! Total crap.

·
Administrator
18,116 Posts
Dosent MecGar make the factory mags for Taurus ?
Currently, yes! But it has not always been so.
When Taurus bought the Beretta Plant, it included Magazine Production.
The Taurus PT92 Magazines are still made in the same facility, but now under Mec-Gar supervision, as is now done for all the Taurus line.
In addition, Mec-Gar of Italy, makes PT92 aftermarket Magazines sold under their name.

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
Never bought an aftermarket mag but welcome to the forum.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts