Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've had my Pt92 since 2007 and it's always been a faithful, good shooting pistol with NO errors until last June. I had a few FTEs so I removed and scrubbed the extractor and it worked for a bit. Now I'm experiencing more FTEs and a new sympton, light strikes. The extractor pin is a PITA to put back in, but I figure what's needed is that I tear the firing pin out and extractor all apart and soak it in carb cleaner. Any thoughts? Go ahead and replace some springs to be sure maybe?

This thing has fired a few thousand rounds without a big break down so that may be the issue but I wanna bounce it off some folks first. Thoughts?

TIA!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did a bit but not as thoroughly as I probably should. I'm thinking it's either springs or gunk in there...at least I'm hoping. Next step is to tear the slide COMPLETELY apart and soak it in the carb cleaner, and reassemble with new springs, extractor pin and maybe firing pin.

·
Registered
703 Posts
If you can get to the parts, I think it might be easier to swab it out, then hose out the remaining traces. It's been a while so I can't remember if you need to remove the sights & firing pin block to remove the firing pin completely.

·
Administrator
19,745 Posts
Part of my regular Maintenance when cleaning is to spray clean out the Slide mechanism with Gunscrubber/Disc Brake Cleaner by pointing the focus straw into the Firing Pin hole in the Slide Boltface and spray. Note that the eeeevil gunk will come shooting out the Extractor area and the bottom of the slide by the Firing Pin Lock piston. After allowing to dry, I then relube.

You might try soaking the Slide in Kerosene for about a week, then spraying out the mechanisim as I've just described above, if yours is really seriously gunked up. Also, if soaking, tip the Slide upwards to prevent an air pocket in the slide from distributing the solvent evenly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.