Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My eyes are getting to be really bad -- so much so that I'm finding I need fiber optic sights on all my pistols. Unfortunately, they don't appear to be available for my Taurus PT-92. After a pile of research I was able to come up with something that seems to work. Here is the thread that my project owes a lot to:

* https://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/...4938-pt92-rear-sight-replacement-options.html

A couple things to take note off: First, the Taurus' slide is only about 0.070" under the front sight, I didn't think this was a good idea to try to cut in a dovetail. That means any adjustment will have to be done off the rear sight. Second, the sight I chose to use for the rear is out of production. I found some for sale in Australia and purchase their remaining stock. What I have will be sold over in the "Classifieds / Firearms" forum.

Parts required:

* HiViz HP2007-R Fiber Optic Rear Sight for the Browning Hi-Power.

Tools required:

* Hammer and non-marring punch.
* Padded vise.
* Fine hand file (with one safe edge). Don't try to use a standard flat file with four cutting edges. See: https://www.kmstools.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/KMS_File-ID-Chart.pdf

Installing the rear sight step-by-step:

1) I am not responsible for your amateur gunsmith SNAFUs. This is what I did on MY pistol. If you mess up YOUR pistol, then it's on YOU! Read and understand the instructions before you begin. If you're not confident in your skills, then don't start the project.

2) Remove the existing fixed sight using the hammer and punch. Clamp the slide in a padded vise and drift the sight out from the right to the left in order to remove it from the tapered slide dovetail. WARNING: The firing pin block spring and plunger pin are located under the sight -- when the sight is removed they will go flying out of the top of the slide. Be prepared!

3) Remove the set screw from the sight.

4) Test fit the HiViz sight -- Part #1. Use a true "hand file" (with one non-cutting edge) to remove metal off the tips of the sight dovetail until the sight can be started into the slide. The file's non-cutting edge should be placed against the underside of the sight blade. Remove metal slowly, carefully and evenly -- if you remove too much metal off the sight dovetail, it will not fit securely and will not maintain zero.

Click photo to enlarge:

5) Test fit the HiViz sight -- part #2. Try test installing the sight using a hammer and punch. The bottoms of the sight blade will likely bind on the top of the slide when you try to install it. Remove additional metal off the tips of the sight dovetail until the bottoms of the sight begin to clear the top of the slide. Remove metal slowly, carefully and evenly -- if you remove too much metal off the sight dovetail, it will not fit securely and will not maintain zero.

6) Install the sight -- Part #1. There is a set screw in the sight. Unfortunately, it cannot be used to secure the sight on your PT-92 slide due to firing pin block. Install the screw into the sight so that the end of the set screw is flush with the bottom of the dovetail -- No more, no less. WARNING: If it hangs out the bottom to the dovetail it will bind against the slide during install and mar the slide. If you don't install it deep enough, the hole will catch the plunger pin and damage it.

7) Install the sight -- Part #2. Assemble the firing pin block spring and plunger pin into the slide. Drift in the sight from left to right, being careful to avoid damaging the firing pin block components. Center the sight on the slide. If you use a machinist caliper, you should be able to center it accurately enough that you won't need to adjust the windage.

8 ) Use a drop of super glue to secure the set screw. If the sight seems loose, you can us a couple drops of super glue between the bottoms of the sight blade and the top of the slide. WARNING: Do not slop super glue into the firing pin block mechanism. Note that superglue can be dissolved with acetone (nail polish remover).

9) The HiViz sight is not quite wide enough to cover the firing pin block mechanism. Use some silicone to seal the gap. WARNING: Do not slop the silicone into the the firing pin block mechanism. NOTE: You can skip over this step and adjust your sight's windage and elevation using the techniques described later in this post.

Click photo to enlarge:

10) Verify the operation of the firing pin block.

11) More photos:

Click photos to enlarge:

Adjusting the windage:

Adjust windage as you would the Taurus OE fixed sight.

Adjusting the elevation:

If your point of impact is too high, you're probably out of luck and I expect you'll want to switch back to the OE sight. And while you *could* file down the front sight, I don't recommend it as you while never be able to put the metal back once it's gone.

If you need to raise the rear sight (raise the point of impact, you can use the appropriate sized shim stock between the bottom to the sight dovetail and the slide. You will also need to use the technique from steps #4 & #5 above to allow the sight to elevate over the shim.

Use the info from the Dawson Precision web sight to help determine the thickness of the shim: https://dawsonprecision.com/sight-calculator/. TIP: Make the shim extra wide to cover the firing pin block mechanism (see step #9 above).

If I lined up the dots, my pistol looked to shoot right on. If I lined up the tops of the blades, my pistol looked to shoot about 1" low at 10 yards. It looks like an 0.018" shim will raise the rear sight would elevate my point of impact of my full size PT-92 by 1" at 10 yards. However, I decided not to mess with shimming since the dots lined up.

Here's some example sight pictures I found around the Internet to demonstrate what I'm talking about when I say "lining up the dots" and "lining up the tops":

Click photo to enlarge:

Ten rounds at 10 yards, lining up the dots:

Click photo to enlarge:

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
So, you lined up the three dot configuration, in line with the bullseye, to shoot that group you posted?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts