Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was testing out some ammunition for home defense and kept getting feed problems. I'm not sure if the issue is with the ammunition or the gun. It is a PT92 and I am using Mec-Gar magazine which are the only non-original parts on the gun, the ammunition is Winchester Supreme Elite Bonded PDx1. I attached a few pictures showing the jam. I also hit the issue after putting in a loaded magazine and releasing the slide. To clear the jam I would have to lock the slide, release the magazine, and the round would fall out. I'm wondering if anyone ran into this issue using this ammunition, also does if anyone has any recommendations for what ammo to use with the PT92 for home defense.
jam1.JPG

jam2.JPG

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
First order of business. The PT92 uses a device called a locking block that allows the slide and barrel to unlock during cycling while also keeping the gun in battery once cycling is complete. If the locking block is chipped, damaged, or failed the slide will not unlock from the barrel properly and all kinds of odd things will happen.

Field strip the pistol, and check the triangular part under the barrel for anything broken, chipped off , or missing. If that part checks out the next step is the magazine itself. Usually Mec-Gars have a bulletproof reputation for reliability, but we should assume nothing at this stage. Load the magazine 1 less than maximum capacity, and see if you still have chambering problems.

If the issue still exists lock back the slide and try a different magazine in the weapon. If the feeding issue still persists at this point,check the magazine release to make sure its properly retaining the mags. If this part is broken it can cause the magazines to sit low in the weapon , thus causing feed issues.

Good luck and keep us posted.
ST

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback and advice. I'll field strip it this week and review for any damage. I still have the original Taurus magazines too so I'll take those to the range too and test (hopefully sooner than next weekend).

·
Administrator
18,116 Posts
Have not had any issues with any 9mm Hollowpoint, however, I've not tried that one. I've yet to find a 9x19mm Cartridge that will not feed in my PT92. I've used Mec-Gar Magazines with no problems, too! Do you have spare Magazines and does this happen with all of your Magazines?

My current Defensive Ammunition is the 124 grn +P CCI Gold Dot which feeds in every 9mm I have. I've also had good feeding with the Federal 124 grn +P HydraShok, Winchester 115 grn SilverTip JHP, and Remington 124 grn +P Gold Sabre JHP.

PT92's (and Beretta 92's and Walther P1/P38's) handle 9mm 147 grn JHP's really really well. Better than most Browning pattern Pistols! I've used the Winchester 147 grn SilverTip in particular.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
The broken parts in question would make the gun troublesome with all ammunition. Every gun has some quirks about ammo that it likes, and doesn't like. Some won't feed reliably, others will feed, but shoot all over the place.

Barring a broken part, if the ammunition won't feed, don't try using it. Shift to another design. It may be that the OAL is different, or the feed profile is just not going to work. Remington Golden Sabers in +P are a great self-defense load.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I learned a valuable lesson with the M16 in RVN. I use the same philosophy with my PT92 and will on the PT99. I load 15 rounds, not 17 because that relieves stress on the mag spring. So in my strange mind, I believe I am relieving stress on the mag; also if I can't hit the target with 15, 17 ain't gonna help!
:r_c:

Reactions: sknhgy and Jake3501

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
"I learned a valuable lesson with the M16 in RVN."

So did I. After going through three of therm in a week, in 11/67, I traded it to an ARVN Ranger for an M2 Carbine, a case of ammo, and a half-dozen M2 mags. When I turned that into the Armory, it went straight up the Chain. I was ordered to retrieve the issue weapon, and was re-issued my TRW M14. I carried this until 4/69, when I came home. That gun could be loaded with full magazines without issue. Nor did the flash-suppressor act as a weed-catcher, the recoil assembly didn't hammer itself into pieces, the chamber didn't pit, and I wasn't afraid that the barrel would bend if used as a step. Oh, and the furniture wasn't brittle, either.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Remember JR, that was in 1967 when only 20 round mags were used. The 30 round mags were never a problem in my experience. Just load 1 or 2 tracer rounds at the end so you'll know you're out or stagger a round so you know what sequence it is.The M16 is a fine weapon and that's why we still use them, though in M4 and other styles.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Norcal, not sure if it matters but Taurus states in their manual to use 124 gr and no +P rounds. I'm sure we have all ignored that to some extent.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi everyone, thanks for responding with input/advice I greatly appreciate the feedback. I haven't had a chance to make it back to the range due to work but I will be going by tomorrow morning. From the manual that came with my Taurus I couldn't find anywhere that it stated +P was not to be used but rather it said it "may affect the useful life of the firearm", I checked on the online manual and it looked like +P was ok(not sure if I am misreading it):

Only fire SAAMI rated Plus P (“+P”) ammunition in Taurus Models designated by Taurus for +P
use as below. Firing +P ammunition in other Taurus products may be dangerous and can result in serious bodily injury or death.
Model 85 small frame revolver in 38 Special.
Model 850 small frame revolver in 38 Special.
Model 851 small frame revolver in 38 Special.
Model 85 Polymer small frame revolver in 38 Special.
Model 82 medium frame revolver in 38 Special.
Model 817 medium frame revolver in 38 Special.
All firearms chambered in 38 Super Automatic.
All firearms chambered in 45 Automatic.
All firearms chambered in 9mm Luger.

I did a field strip and cleaning tonight and didn't see any damage/chipped/broken, I dug up my original Taurus magazine and will take those along tomorrow as well. SGMShadow mention mentioned he found the Taurus shouldn't use +P rounds so I picked up some Hornady XTP Custom (non +P) and JR mentioned to try Remington Golden Saber +P so I grab a box of those as well. Thanks everybody again on the feedback, it's great to have this forum, I'll update again this weekend.

thanks,
Norcal

·
Administrator
18,116 Posts
Only fire SAAMI rated Plus P (“+P”) ammunition in Taurus Models designated by Taurus for +P use as below.

All firearms chambered in 9mm Luger.

SGMShadow mention mentioned he found the Taurus shouldn't use +P rounds so I picked up some Hornady XTP Custom (non +P) and JR mentioned to try Remington Golden Saber +P so I grab a box of those as well.
I have fired a sparing amount of +P Ammunition thru all of my 9mm Handguns, all Taurus 9mm's included, with no issues whatsoever. My PT92 included and in particular! I believe in testing any potential Self Defense use Cartridge for feeding and function before employing their use. I see no reason why a PT92 cannot be used with +P power level ammunition, should it be necessary.

I happen to like the CCI Gold Dot Series, the 9mm 124 grn +P version in particular. MY PT92 and Taurus 24/7 Pro will eat them (and anything else) like candy without issue. My previous defense round was the Federal HydraShok 124 grn +P with no problems.

It should also be noted, that I do run a slightly heavier Recoil Spring in my PT92, a Wolff 15 lb Extra Power. Factory PT92 and Beretta 92/M9 Recoil Springs have been rated at 13 lb's. Current Beretta M9A1 Recoil Springs may be inline with what I'm using now.

It should also be noted that I have fired +P Defense level Ammunition before switching out my Recoil Springs, without issue. Notably, the aforementioned Federal HydraShoks, Remington Gold Sabre Series, and Winchester Ranger Series. The PT92 Beast Lives and runs!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I made it back to the range today, I tested Hornady XTP Custom (non +P), Remington Golden Saber +P, and a second box of the Winchester Supreme Elite Bonded PDx1. All 3 ran through fine using both the additional magazines I brought (OEM Taurus & a 2nd Mec-Gar), I had 10 rounds left of the original Winchester Supreme Elite Bonded PDx1 that I initially tested and ran those through the 21nd Mec-Gar magazine I brought, on those rounds I got the same feed issue where 3 of the rounds failed to feed.

Overall I ran 50 rounds of the Golden Saber, 50 rounds of the Hornady, 25 of the Winchester from a new purchase today, and 100 rounds of Tula FMJ target rounds with no issues. Issue seemed to have followed the original box of Winchester ammunition I used, I guess I may have gotten a less than quality batch on the first box. I decided to use the Golden Saber for the my home defense round for now.
Thanks again to everyone for the input/advice.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thing is just like my colt the beretta type weapon was never intended to fire hollow points +p or not.My buddys dad is a bp agent and he says his 96 was his favorite gun they have issued but its main problem was stress cracks on the frame or slide from the +p ammo used by the border patrol.The army tests proved the m9 to surpass all service life expectations so long a you use NATO ball ammo.Yes I know this is a Taurus but hell the info works for em juss like the barrels.

·
Administrator
18,116 Posts
Thing is just like my colt the beretta type weapon was never intended to fire hollow points +p or not.
While not necessarily designed with Hollow Pointed Ammunition in mind, the Beretta/Taurus 92 design WILL accommodate MOST Hollow Pointed 9mm Ammunition. At least that has been my experience. A lot of Police Departments would NEVER have issued Beretta 92's and/or Taurus 92's if they were not functional with Hollow Pointed Ammunition.

I have used 147 grn JHP Bullets as an IPSC Match Load, where the utmost feed reliability is required! You can't win with a mis-feeding pistol!

As for Colt 1911's, the original design certainly was not designed to feed anything but Ball Ammo. However, that said, newer 1911's with better Barrel Feed Angle geometry can feed some Hollow Pointed Ammunition with excellent reliability.

My Colt 1911 will feed Ball, Hollow Points, and Semi-Wadcutters, but you should see the feed area I cut into the Barrel entry area to get it to do that! :eek: Seriously wore the Brushes in my Dremel on that one!!! And before anyone asks, yes, the Chamber still fully supports the case head! I knew the proper angle required!

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
A lot of people have made a lot of great points so I have nothing to add other that to say I have not had problems with my own PT 92.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was testing out some ammunition for home defense and kept getting feed problems. I'm not sure if the issue is with the ammunition or the gun. It is a PT92 and I am using Mec-Gar magazine which are the only non-original parts on the gun, the ammunition is Winchester Supreme Elite Bonded PDx1. I attached a few pictures showing the jam. I also hit the issue after putting in a loaded magazine and releasing the slide. To clear the jam I would have to lock the slide, release the magazine, and the round would fall out. I'm wondering if anyone ran into this issue using this ammunition, also does if anyone has any recommendations for what ammo to use with the PT92 for home defense.
View attachment 21070

View attachment 21071 I'm having that same thing with my Taurus pt92 I'm using personal defensede elite performance Sig Sauer jhp ammo could you give an update on what was the issue

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
124 gr. is the recommended weight for literally all Taurus 9mm pistols, 147 gr. can work if the nose profile is practically a FMJ round. I've had zero feed issues with Winchester Silver Tip ammo, which runs at 115 gr. with a very similar profile to FMJ. The only 147gr. I ever use is FMJ as practice ammo when 124 or 115 isn't available.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts