Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all. First timer here on TA. I have been crawling the forums on occasion for months and figured its probably time to join up. Then after that thought I noticed a problem with my PT99 Heres the story.

I just bought my LONG awaited PT-99 Wednesday. New PT99 Black. Have not even fired it yet. Decocker is hard to press down and now is catching on grips that are bowing out. I looked down at it, and the whole decocker/safety rod is out of alignment. Heres a pic. Anyone else have this problem? Ill be calling Taurus to see what they say. It is also affecting safety. Safety on, and slightly pull the trigger, there is a click and the hammer drops a tiny bit, when you turn safety off, the hammer drops to the decock drop position. Kinda scary.

I have two other taurus pistols that have no problems. This is a WTF moment.
Do I have to pay for shipping to fix this? Looks to me like I do. Not even fired a round out of it.. Have not dropped it or anything, I have been babying it. Its my most-wanted pistol just two days out of the gun store. Decocked it maybe 10 times testing it out and it got worse every time. I actually JUST mailed off the warranty card today.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Welcome!

Our forum abounds with friendly and knowledgeable members and with moderators, super moderators, and administrators who take their jobs seriously and see to it that things stay on an even keel around here.

If I were you, I'd telephone Taurus Customer Service Monday morning, or at your earliest convenience next week, and run all this by the CS person. If the handgun is less than a year old Taurus will foot the shipping bill. They will send a FedEx courier by to pick the gun up at your home.

Keep us posted on the outcome.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks MilProGuy! I should have known you would be on TA of course. I made it over from OCDO. When you say year old, year old from Taurus sending it out of the assembly line, or from date of purchase? 2 Days from sale, unsure of build date.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I thought your screen name looked familiar. Glad to have you aboard!

I believe it's a year from the date of manufacture.

Last year I had to return a little TCP PT738, which was 16 months old, so I had to pay the shipping to Taurus. I sent it via UPS and it cost less than $15.00.

Taurus sent me a new pistol, but they paid for the shipping to me.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
Whether it's a year from manufacture, or a year from purchase can vary by ther CS. If they tell you that the gun is not eligible for free return, ask to speak to a supervisor. Taurus really shouldn't be counting shelf-time in that year.

I agree, though, that it needs to go to the factory, ASAP. DO NOT FIRE IT.

Now, all that said. Why didn't you notice that when checking the gun prior to buying? For that matter, why didn't the shop see it when placing the gun in their Bound Book? Every gun that you purchase should be gone over before you put down your hard earned cash. No matter the maker. I've turned down a bunch of guns from purportedly "better" manufacturers because of problems found as I looked them over. Even guns ordered can be returned if faulty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Whether it's a year from manufacture, or a year from purchase can vary by ther CS. If they tell you that the gun is not eligible for free return, ask to speak to a supervisor. Taurus really shouldn't be counting shelf-time in that year.

I agree, though, that it needs to go to the factory, ASAP. DO NOT FIRE IT.

Now, all that said. Why didn't you notice that when checking the gun prior to buying? For that matter, why didn't the shop see it when placing the gun in their Bound Book? Every gun that you purchase should be gone over before you put down your hard earned cash. No matter the maker. I've turned down a bunch of guns from purportedly "better" manufacturers because of problems found as I looked them over. Even guns ordered can be returned if faulty.
Well, I looked the one in the case over real good. It was real nice. I said ill take it. Well, that was the one they keep in the case and I got one in a box. I thought that was the one i was getting since it was on a sale, they dont make it anymore... I got home and noticed the shipping grease had a different blot/accumulation pattern on the feed ramp. I said oh crap, this isnt the one I handled. And noticed this problem getting worse after checking it out.

I have not contacted Taurus yet. I have still been checking it out. If I move my thumb the right angle to decock it and pressure it back some, its fine....but I am going to guess that it should work the right way, every time pressed. Really irritated as I couldnt exactly spare that money I spent on it, used the credit card because it was on sale and I planned on buying in 2 months anyway. Now I have to end up being without it for another god knows how long. And then I have to go through stripping and detailing and getting all of the shipping crap out of the next one they send me if they replace it. I spent 3 hours being anal cleaning every nook of it.

Guess ill just call. I am going to the shooting range Thursday with my father, we bought pistols together and was hoping to shoot it.

Thanks guys

Edit - The range is the same place as purchase. I guess Ill talk to him about it and see what he says.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts